More petroglyph damage

Plays In The Dirt

Re: More petroglyph damage

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

desert wanderer wrote:Thanks for the link, PITD! I lost your email address, long time, no hear! Lots of changes in my life. Please email me at; rixcamp@gmail.com when you get the chance. Thanks again.
I'll do that sometime later in the day.
LDMGOLD
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by LDMGOLD »

My wife and I visited these petroglyphs recently on Beaver Creek. This was just a portion of a huge horizontal panel. According to the interpreter there were more glyphs beneath the surface. The trees were planted decades ago to protect the petroglyphs from cattle rubbing on them by the local rancher. This is part of the Bar V Bar Ranch preserve on Beaver Creek south of Sedona. Hope you enjoy it. I could post the entire panel, but it would require at least four more photographs. This particular
panel caught my attention because of the rare images of the herons on it. Again according to the forest service interpreter this is the only site where you can witness herons pecked into a glyph panel like this.

Tom K.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Yeah, that's pretty neat alright!
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

I really like it when you guys post pictures of places you have been and things you have seen.

Sometimes, especially, I think, as we get older, we miss some of the things that are right in front of our eyes.

Pictures are history, good and/or bad.

Thanks for posting.

Beth (Mrs.O)
michael

Post by michael »

Somebody needs to paintball his ass.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

"Again according to the forest service interpreter this is the only site where you can witness herons pecked into a glyph panel like this."

There are other locations but it's not a common glyph. If you talk to old Figueroa on the CRIT rez, he can tell you more about this tribal sign. I have seen a heron glyph on a basalt panel next to a dry lake in the Mojave desert of California as well.

Great pictures. Thanks to all who work to preserve these sites.

Moderator Note: This was Sandman's last post before his terrible accident on Father's Day.
If nobody objects... I am temporarily closing this discussion, until he is able to return to it.

See: Prayers needed for Sandman at:

http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1992