The Oasis of my Soul...

Moderator: Jim_b

beemerchef
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: The Oasis of my Soul...

Post by beemerchef »

Hudson-Atlantic City Rd... 30 great miles!
I even did a video. Some day when I have the proper connection I will upload it to You Tube!...
Ara & Spirit
beemerchef

Post by beemerchef »

From Atlantic City to... WY

The new found treasures I call “empty spaces” do not stop coming our way, specially when given tips by Friends living locally. We have been based in Lander, WY, these past days, I witness riders zooming through the area never realizing such local diversity is present if they only looked. But, lured by Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, the nice and slow and at times dangerous traffic and crazy drivers, on they go. “Miles of nothing” is a little 30 seconds video I did and posted, it is my best likable reality these days, a dosage I can never get enough considering the spaces I am going in shortly, riding not “Old Faithful”, but planes to Munich, Germany, for a couple weeks to see my Mother. I know most's attention span on these pages or for that matter the Journal's pages, is short. I have had dozens of inquiries as to what is wrong with Spirit! NOTHING... he is not sick, he is not missing any limbs, he is alive, NOTHING WRONG... he is just not flying with me... I appreciate the concerns, this is just one of those things I have to do. I am still working on a video from the Gravellies, a couple more, for some reason You Tube keeps cutting off the Music about 2/3rd's of the way, a bit frustrating considering I not often have a fast connection. They will be up as soon as they correct the problem... In the meantime, enjoy Atlantic City, Hudson-Atlantic City Rd and a modern Ghost Town called “Jeffrey”...
Be well...
Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com Our Journey under the Stars…

www.theoasisofmysoul.com/zenphoto/ Our new Photo Gallery…
RockyFrisco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by RockyFrisco »

Jeffrey City was built in support of the mine there. North of there, on the highway, was Peterson's Home on the Range, a gas station run by Sam and Beulah Peterson. We spent our Summers in the area back when I was boy. That would have been around 1949 - 1954. The station was a US Post Office and mail came from all over the world from people wanting the "Home on the Range" postmark. Beulah continued to run the station for a long time after Sam died. We used to go North of the highway, near the Sweetwater River, on Sundays, when the planes were thought to not be doing their bombing and gunfire runs, although sometimes they did anyway. The Muphrey's house was in that area and it was riddled with 50 caliber bullet holes. Miraculously, nobody had ever got shot. That area was full of water-polished Sweetwater agates. Going South of the highway along the Sweetwater, first you come to the Massacre area, where the members of an early wagon-train were all killed. Then, further South is the Jade Fields, where first quality apple-green jade is sometimes found. On South of there was the Armitage's oil camp. I would expect that lots of the drilling equipment would still be there. Percy Armitage was from England and wore his Derby hat even in bed, according to his wife. I once attended the Wyoming Republican Party Convention with her, when I was around 12 years old. Jeffrey's City was not liked by the locals very much, as I remember. The mines were bankrupted by an inept Manager of Maintenance who destroyed so much equipment through ignorance that the effort failed. I worked for this same idiot in a factory in the Tulsa area years later. I won't mention his name. I have passed through the area only once since the old days, when I was on tour with the Red Dirt Rangers. I would like to spend a few weeks there before I die.
Guz

Post by Guz »

I'd love to hear more of your stories, Rocky.

Guz
beemerchef

Post by beemerchef »

I also love to hear your stories! What would be the chances we would be there and stop... and no one else ever did!
Thank you.
Ara & Spirit
RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

I wonder if the Home on the Range gas station is still there.

-Rocky
Guz

Post by Guz »

You've probably seen this but thought I'd post the link anyways: http://uwacadweb.uwyo.edu/RobertsHistor ... o_more.htm

I found it using google images.

Regards,

Guz

P.S. also found this: http://uwacadweb.uwyo.edu/RobertsHistory/DSC01680.JPG

Do you recognise these buildings? Much more can be seen searching Jefrey city, wyoming. Interesting stuff.
RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

Thanks so much for posting this information. It satisfied my curiosity about the area. Of course I recognize the station. The second picture is of buildings raised after I left the area.

-Rocky
beemerchef

Post by beemerchef »

Yes, it is "Home on the Range".... I will be passing again by there in a couple weeks and will make a point to take a photo!!! Should have already...
Ara & Spirit
Guz

Post by Guz »

I look forward to it!

Guz