Mojave River flows

lara
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Mojave River flows

Post by lara »

every once in a while, the mojave river flows just like a real river - with water and not sand. today in barstow, the river was a big attraction. when there is water in the river, folks come out to see the rare sight. i was amazed at how close parents let their kids get to the river. the river is flowing dangerously high and fast. one kid slipped off the ledge he was standing on and went in chest deep. he got out after that.

Last edited by lara on Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
reptilist

Re: Mojave River flows

Post by reptilist »

That's pretty cool alright!

I suppose some folks have no idea what happens in flood waters.... Floating debris, rolling boulders, shifting currents.
gordon

Post by gordon »

The river is quite impressive now. I am wondering if it took out the Rock Springs road bridge and the railroad bridge at the south end in Hesperia this time. Haven't had a chance to get over that way to check.
lara

Post by lara »

gordon wrote:The river is quite impressive now. I am wondering if it took out the Rock Springs road bridge and the railroad bridge at the south end in Hesperia this time. Haven't had a chance to get over that way to check.
i checked the news and didn't read anything like that. the lake behind the dam fills up and they let water out. but they are keeping a close eye on places where there are no levees, like oro grande. i am wondering how far the flow goes, if it is constant all the way to afton canyon. thought i would take a little drive tomorrow and see what it looks like. last time i saw this much water was in 1998, although the winter of 2004-2005 was really wet, so it may have flowed then and i just wasn't paying attention.

lara
gordon

Post by gordon »

Haven't seen anything in the news about that locality either. I do recall sometime in the last few years that the trestle and road were taken out, may have been the 04-05 season certainly not further back than that.
Jim_b

Post by Jim_b »

Here is the video that Lara took of the river. I would not try driving across now.

Last edited by Jim_b on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plays In The Dirt

A River Floods...

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Well yesterday the flood waters finally finally hit the Moapa Valley from up north. The Muddy River flows through the valley where I live and the flooded street that you see in the Photos are right down the street from my house. I've seen the floods in this area a lot worse than this time so it's good that it wasn't too bad. I've seen the water right up to the front door of the house in the Photos.

Greg (aka - Plays In The Dirt)

lara

Post by lara »

we drove out to afton canyon to see if the water was making it that far and oh my yes, LOTS of water through the canyon, ripping out vegetation and scouring the river bed. no way anyone could make it across the western crossing and the river washed out the road from the east. i suppose a truck with big mud tires could make it farther than we did in a 4x tacoma but we decided discretion was the better part of valor. it was pretty cool to see all that water!
kellymoe

Post by kellymoe »

Great pictures and a great thread. Were does the Mojave River flow into?
lara

Post by lara »

kellymoe wrote:Great pictures and a great thread. Were does the Mojave River flow into?
into a sink that used to be the ancient lake mojave. now soda lake, mostly dry, gets the flow. near baker california.