Snakes of the Desert

demista
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Snakes of the Desert

Post by demista »

hello all,
When people think of the desert, they typically think of only the rattlesnake as being present there. In reality, there are a number of snakes that are capable of inflicting harm that live in the desert. They come in various shapes and sizes but all are capable of doing damage if not to an adult then at least to children.

The first type of snake is also the most commonly thought of. The western diamondback rattlesnake is the most famous type of rattlesnake but there are many others that exist. These are the most well known and have earned a lot of respect, with good reason. These snakes are extremely venomous and are also known for being easily annoyed. If one is seen, it is better to just leave it alone and go away.

Another venomous snake found in Arizona is the coral snake. These snakes have venom that is extremely potent; however, due to their small size, adults would have to sustain a prolonged encounter with many bites in order to be affected. The same is not true for children. Children playing outdoors are frequently attracted to the snake's pretty colors. They then pick it up, which the snake doesn't like, and get bitten. If a child is bitten by a coral snake, that child needs medical attention immediately. Coral snakes are between 12 inches and 20 inches in length and have alternating bands of red, yellow, and black. To remember which tri-colored snake is safe, just remember "if red touches yellow, it can harm a fellow; if red touches black, it's okay for Jack."

The Arizona Mountain Kingsnake is one of a variety of tri-colored snakes that is meant to resemble the coral snake. In this snake, the bands are the same color as the coral snake but the red and yellow portions are always separated by bands of black. Because these snakes are non-venomous, "if red touches black, it's okay for Jack." While memory devices are great, if a person can't remember which is ok and which isn't, the best safety lies in caution. Stay away from the snake and it can't possibly hurt you.

The Common Kingsnake, a black and white snake without red or yellow bands, is another snake common to the desert, mountains, and shrublands. These snakes are active during the majority of the year. They are not venomous but rather kill their dinner through constriction. Their diet typically includes lizards, rodents, birds, and other snakes. They can kill venomous snakes because they are immune.

The gopher snake is one of the largest snakes in the Arizona range. They can reach a length of up to 8 feet. Gopher snakes are active in the cooler months during the day and in the warmer months at night. These guys get their name because of their tendency to eat rodents, which is a good thing. When they are not hunting, they will hide under rocks or in animal burrows.
TradClimber

Re: Snakes of the Desert

Post by TradClimber »

Hi demi,
Welcome to the forum from half way around our world.

You posted:
In reality, there are a number of snakes that are capable of inflicting harm that live in the desert. They come in various shapes and sizes but all are capable of doing damage if not to an adult then at least to children.
My rosy boa resents your statement.

TradClimber
bucky

Post by bucky »

Don't forget the lyre snake.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

There are several other rear fanged snakes (including the Lyre Snake) that are mildly venomous and/or too small to be considered a danger to humans. An envenomation from a large Lyre snake or a Hog nosed Snake may give some uncomfortable localized reactions, but nothing comparable to a pit viper!
As for the Arizona Coral Snake.... It's fangs and venom yield are too small to make it a threat to human life, but nevertheless, they should not be handled. Because basically, any invasion of the body can conceivably cause an allergic reaction and perhaps even anaphylactic shock. (Not to mention tetanus.)
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Good response Terry. I would agree with you 100%. And I would add snakes are an important part of the ecosystem and it is very important people understand their relationship to the ecosystem. If snakes and other predators did not keep the rodent population in check Bubonic Plague, Hanta virus, and Rabies would be far more prominent. Snakes help protect mammals (humans) (warm blooded animals) from these dangerous diseases. Well so much for my soap box. Take care out there and be safe. Tom K.
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

Has it been established that hog noses are mildly venomous? As for coral snakes, this is the first time I have ever seen them referred to as a non-life-threatening species. I have seen people free-handle them repeatedly without taking any precautions against being bitten and wondered what the hell was up with that.
Corals are awesome snakes and I am looking forward to seeing my first one in the wild one of these days if I am lucky. However, I am a bit disturbed at what I have heard about the laws. According to some sources, I can be ticketed just for photographing a reptile in Arizona, because it apparently represents, harassment of the animal.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

It is not against the law to photograph animals in Arizona! Someone is feeding you a line of misinformation....

Arizona Coral Snakes have a potent neurotoxic venom, but a poor delivery system. The other Coral species are far more efficient and fully capable of killing someone. I don't encourage free handling Arizona corals though, always wear a glove.
Hoggies are definitely venomous.... Not life threatening, but lots of localized swelling.
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

I enjoyed the write up, but this part had me a tad confused:

In reality, there are a number of snakes that are capable of inflicting harm that live in the desert. They come in various shapes and sizes but all are capable of doing damage if not to an adult then at least to children.

With the exception of the various Crotalus and Sistrurus species and Micruroides (the Sonoran coral), there aren't any other species of snakes native to the desert southwest that should be considered "medically significant". Notice I didn't say there aren't other species that are venomous...there are, but these species aren't a threat to the welfare of humans because either their venom is primarily effective on their prey (i.e. Hypsiglena) or because the venom delivery system isn't very efficient (i.e. Trimorphodon). Often people will automatically assume that "venomous = dangerous" (at least in relation to people), and this is FAR from the truth.

With reference to the Sonoran coral (Micruroides), this animal possesses an extremely toxic venom but because it feeds on small, fossorial snakes it is also small and fossorial. As a result, it has an extremely small head and correspondingly minute venom yield. To my knowledge, there has never been a confirmed case of human fatality attributable to the bite of Micruroides. Bites can and do occur (with almost all of them being the end result of someone handling the snake) so this animal should not be handled cavalierly. The potency of it's venom should be enough to treat it with the utmost respect.

Anyway, good post, but I thought a few things needed clarification.

-Kris