Wildflower timing for Tucson 2011?

oncewaspfd
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Wildflower timing for Tucson 2011?

Post by oncewaspfd »

I'm trying to plan a trip to Tucson in April for the wildflowers. I was there in 2010 with the family and found that you can't photograph flowers while on vacation. The family did like standing around while I shot pictures.

I was just wondering what time in April would be a good time? I was looking at April 5-13. What's the outlook for flowers this year anyway?

Thanks
reptilist

Re: Wildflower timing for Tucson 2011?

Post by reptilist »

Last year the desert wildflowers were spectacular because of a wet winter... this winter has not been very wet, so I don't have high hopes of seeing a repeat of that spectacle.
The poppies usually start showing up in March, so your timing in early April should be about right. I hope you enjoy your visit!
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Especially up in your part of the country. Sharon and I traveled 191 between Safford and Clifton and the poppies were unbelievable last year. I debating on a trip along the same route this year. Let know if they bloom like they did last year.

Tom K.
oncewaspfd

Post by oncewaspfd »

Is it going to be worth flying out there this year or should I wait till next year? My other plan was to drive down to Great Smoky Mountain National Park.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I could not recommend either option...
All I'm saying is that last year's wildflower bloom was the best I've ever seen. Does that mean this year won't top it? I don't know.
All we can do is wait and see.
Maybe set your sights on visiting Arizona's natural wonders (and Indian ruins), and enjoy the flowers as an unexpected bonus.