I am planning to camp out in public land for a few months...

Mike C.

Re: I am planning to camp out in public land for a few month

Post by Mike C. »

Hi Kyle. In that area I have another suggestion for you that is both beautiful and camping is absolutely free. If it were me I would suggest Kofa National Wildlife Refuge. Only 9 miles south of Quartzite on 95 will be the first turn-off into Kofa (left-east). This is a grated dirt road that your car will have no problem with. As you enter the road, don't be concerned about the signs that say NO CAMPING. In a couple of miles or so you will come to a kiosk and a sign that you are now entering Kofa. At the kiosk you will find yellow maps showing showing the entire refuge. Camping is now LEGAL! As you pass the kiosk you will be coming up to Crystal Hill on your left which has always been popular for rock collection. No more rocks can be taken now so you will be pretty much on your own! You will see some little spur roads going to your left which are actually at the base of Crystal Hill. Nice little campsites with man made fire rings. Solitude and a drive back to town for supplies always sounds good to me! By the way, My beer was safe there! If you have any questions about Kofa,fire away. I even have a few of their little maps---so if you need one I can send it to you. Have fun Mike C. Brea,Ca.
TradClimber
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by TradClimber »

Kyle posted:
I'm going to be in the Sonoran in Arizona.
OK Kyle - that's the best you can do?? The Sonoran Desert!!

You do know the Sonoran Desert is rather a large area with lots of scavengers?

There is no way I can guard your cheap beer from scavengers if you don't pin point your camping location down with a little more precision for me.

Your very lucky to have found me. I'm one of the few at DUSA that everybody trust.

Lat/lon from your GPS works for me.

Sincerely,
TradClimber
Kyle Richards

Post by Kyle Richards »

Well I am looking within a 50 mile radius of Quartzsite, AZ so that would be 33° 39' 50" N / 114° 13' 48" W

Kofa definitely sounds good as well, though it does sound like I'd be more likely to come across large wildlife, which I'm a bit nervous about doing too much hiking in known mountain lion range, despite the fact that I really want to see all the animals and do some photography. Truth is, I will be down there for at least 2 months, and I'll have to go into town fairly often so my campsite will probably change throughout. I could probably hit up most of the camping areas in the vicinity unless there were to be a strong reason not to do one.

I'm thinking that camping in a large clearing would be my best bet to avoid any unwelcome visitors at night, in terms of snakes, scorpions, or spiders that might be under large rocks or in heavy brush or bushes.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Carry bear spray and a sturdy sheath knife to settle your nerves. Lions don't usually attack people. Camp away from brushy/rocky/"snakey" looking places. Don't let your fears ruin the trip. You'll be lucky to see anything besides scorpions, ants, and centipedes.
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

You won't be attacked by any large wildlife if you camp where I suggested. Never had anything taken from my camp as I often have to leave for getting supplies or go exploring. We have a certain amount of humor here on DUSA so if we ever happen to meet any of us-----ya better have a cold one! Mike C. Brea,Ca.
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

I envy you. The best desert experience I had this summer was spending a weekend at a tiny spot in Nevada called Denio Junction, about a mile south of the Oregon border. It is a little combination restaurant, bar, gas station and motel in the absolute middle of nowhere.

There is a roof that stretches out from the front of the store /cafe to the gas pumps, above a couple of picnic tables. My nephew and I sat at those picnic tables with cold beers, watching the valley around us turn rose with the sunset as the Trout Creek Mountains blazed metallic copper in the setting sun. Ahhh yes, paradise.
zeke1312

Post by zeke1312 »

Investigate Ajo, AZ. Out of the way, laid back, a LOT of Sonoran desert. Just north of Organ Pipe National Monument. Actually the whole area is the sweet spot of the Sonoran desert! Ajo has a community of artists in the area.
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

I LOVE Ajo. Everytime I am down there I like to take that dirt road that loops west from the south end of town to come back in at the north end. Thus far I have been skunked on finding reptiles to photograph, but the scenery at sunset is fantastic.