The Peralta-Fish Map

Moderator: somehiker

Choto
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: The Peralta-Fish Map

Post by Choto »

I got distracted.

When you pull the various Peralta genealogies together it appears that Miguel L. Peralta of Pheonix (the same man who sold the "spurious" Peralto Grant to Dr. Willing, is related to Cristobal Peralta (identified in the Salazer Survey). And more, Joe R. is correct about Miguel's family history. What is fascinating is that several of Miguel's siblings and their families settled in Phoenix. They were there with Waltz and the family remained long after his death. California(?), Laz Paz, Wickenburg, Phoenix, I think that Waltz almost certainly knew the Peraltas.

The question is, what kept Miguel from exploiting the Superstition mines? Because a look at his financial struggles, struggles that followed him to death suggest that he did not. Either Miguel had a fear of returning to the mines or he lacked the knowledge to find them.

Very confusing.
Choto

Post by Choto »

To those of you threatened by the "Cactus Fire" this morning, stay safe!

Choto
Captain1965

Post by Captain1965 »

Hay Victor
Call me when you get a chance. I guess you can't PM a member here.
Choto

Post by Choto »

Captain1965 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:51 am Hay Victor
Call me when you get a chance. I guess you can't PM a member here.
I would need a number.
Choto

Post by Choto »

"There has been some prospecting done of late on top of Superstition mountains. Contrary to the general impression the mountain is highly mineralized and it is composed of broad porphyritic bands of divers colors alternating with metamorphic rocks. Many of these porhyritic ledges contain quarts and are in no sense different from the ledges in the Goldfield basin. The Kimball lode and the Needle load are immense mineral ledges which pass through the mountain running under what appears to be a trachvte bluff which together with diorite seems to form the capping of the mountain. It would appear to an ordinary observer from this capping that the mountain was composed of these rocks but close inspection shows the porphyry bands to form nearly one third of the mountain mass".

AZR 20-4-95

Yikes - could this report be accurate?
It sure seems to contradict almost everything that I have read/been told about the range.
"HIGHLY MINERALIZED" ?
Last edited by Choto on Thu May 18, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Choto

Post by Choto »

PeraltaFishMap.jpg
The Peralta-Fish Map B&W - COLOR comparison.

Image: Superstition Mountain Historical Society
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
auag

Post by auag »

Choto wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 4:25 am "There has been some prospecting done of late on top of Superstition mountains. Contrary to the general impression the mountain is highly mineralized and it is composed of broad porphyritic bands of divers colors alternating with metamorphic rocks. Many of these porhyritic ledges contain quarts and are in no sense different from the ledges in the Goldfield basin. The Kimball lode and the Needle load are immense mineral ledges which pass through the mountain running under what appears to be a trachvte bluff which together with diorite seems to form the capping of the mountain. It would appear to an ordinary observer from this capping that the mountain was composed of these rocks but close inspection shows the porphyry bands to form nearly one third of the mountain mass".

AZR 20-4-95

It sure seems to contradict almost everything that I have read/been told about the range.
"HIGHLY MINERALIZED" ?
why do you think they turned it into a wilderness ?
Choto

Post by Choto »

auag wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 7:46 pm
Choto wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 4:25 am "There has been some prospecting done of late on top of Superstition mountains. Contrary to the general impression the mountain is highly mineralized and it is composed of broad porphyritic bands of divers colors alternating with metamorphic rocks. Many of these porhyritic ledges contain quarts and are in no sense different from the ledges in the Goldfield basin. The Kimball lode and the Needle load are immense mineral ledges which pass through the mountain running under what appears to be a trachvte bluff which together with diorite seems to form the capping of the mountain. It would appear to an ordinary observer from this capping that the mountain was composed of these rocks but close inspection shows the porphyry bands to form nearly one third of the mountain mass".

AZR 20-4-95

"HIGHLY MINERALIZED" ?
why do you think they turned it into a wilderness ?

"This Wilderness was designated in 1939, and was expanded to its present size in 1984. It now contains approximately 160,200 acres."

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto/sp ... ev3_018739

Who can say but it took forty five years to do it.
I read somewhere that there was an attempt to include Goldfield.
Choto

Post by Choto »

From Tonto NF...
"Rumors still abound concerning lost gold mines, "secret maps," etc., and are still being sold to the unwary."

And then this...

MINING

"Mining is any activity that attempts to extract minerals (which are valuable and locatable) from their natural setting. No mining of any type (whether for recreation and/or profit) is allowed except with an approved Notice of Intent and/or Plan of Operations for activity on a legal claim with valid existing rights. New mining claims can no longer be filed on designated Wilderness Areas. The Wilderness Act of 1964 allowed mining claims to be filed until January 1, 1984, at which time all Wilderness Areas were closed to new mineral entry. Subsequently- designated Wilderness Areas were closed to mineral entry upon enactment of the law creating them."

and this...
TREASURE TROVE HUNTING

"A treasure trove is defined as money, gems, or precious worked metal (in the form of coins, plate, bullion, etc.) of unknown ownership. Not included are recent vintage coins, locatable minerals, or archeological resources and specimens. Searching for such treasure must be authorized by a permit. Applications for Treasure Trove Permits are evaluated on a case-by-case basis; approval requires that evidence of treasure is of such a character that a person of ordinary prudence would be justified in the expenditure of labor and funds, with a reasonable possibility of success. Permits are issued for a specific number of days and the site is subject to inspection."

This "nothings there but if there is" position will have to be rethought.
Eventually.
coazon de oro

Post by coazon de oro »

Howdy Choto,

What you have posted are Tonto N P rules, and regulations. In Arizona, the mining law of 1872 is what governs mining. It stands above all the rest, and all of the Peralta mines pre-existed the Wilderness Act.

Why even worry about Treasure Trove permits? There is no "Peralta Treasure Room, or Box", it is all just one man's imagination gone wild. The Peraltas came and mined in the winter of 1853-54. Why would they do so much work if they had a "treasure room, or box"? Because there was no such treasure, just the mines. The Fish Map is very real, unlike the so called ground map, or blueprints to some stone maps. Why does the Sombrero have those lines on it? Just to show that it is a mountain, other wise the outline it's self would just look like a trail, or creek. If the Fish map shows a mine at the east side of Weaver's Needle, you better believe there is a mine there.

Homar