Mines in the Superstition Mountains

Moderator: Jim_b

jim_dusa

Mines in the Superstition Mountains

Post by jim_dusa »

In May of 2002, DesertUSA received an e-mail from a man named John Smith, claiming he had found the location of the Lost Dutchman Mine in the Superstition Mountains area in Arizona. I suggested that he send us his story with pictures. He did, and we published his account in two parts in our June and July 2002 issues. The story got a lot of interest, but left the reader right at the edge of discovery. We used the pen name “Mr. X” for the author.

Mr Smith told the story of how he learned of the mysterious Peralta Stones, which appear to offer significant clues, in fact, a map, to the location of the fabled Lost Dutchman’s Mine of Arizona’s Superstition Mountains. He tells how he spent years attempting to follow those clues, searching through rugged canyons, ledges and peaks in the mountain range, until he finally came upon a location – a high ledge near the junction of two canyons – which seemed to hold the answer to the puzzle. We are no longer in contact with Mr. Smith, and the rumor is that he died.

I have posted some the pictures Mr. Smith had sent with the online articles. The original photos were in my desk drawer when the 2007 SD wildfire swept through our offices. All were destroyed. Also lost in the fire was the computer with the e-mail record of our correspondence.

There are over 100 comments on the article, and they are still coming in. I will post most of the replies in the coming days. If you can’t wait, they are still posted online beneath the article.

To read the story click on this link.
http://www.desertusa.com/mag02/june/ld1.html
Jim Hatt

Re: Lost Dutchman Mine in the Superstition Mountains

Post by Jim Hatt »

Jim, I believe his name (Mr. X) was Louis Smith. Clay Worst and I went up there to his area with him and looked it all over. We both told him that we didn't think there was a mine in that area, but if there was, The necessary landmarks for it to be the "Dutchman" just weren't there. Louis abandoned that area and began devoting his time to solving the Roman Numerals on the back of the Latin Heart. I mention his work on the numerals in my article on the Peralta Stone Maps.

Jim H.
jim_dusa

Post by jim_dusa »

That right it was Louis Smith

Jim
roward
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by roward »

Jim,
Did you get that article by Richard Robinson i sent regarding Horse Mesa? Are you familiar with it and the treasure cave described by Ely?
Bob Ward
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

jim_dusa,

Jim, I know who Bob Ward is and have been corresponding with him via e-mail. I have a hunch that he may have the two of us confused with each other.

But... I didn't receive anything about Horse Mesa from him either, so I could be wrong.

Jim Hatt
roward

Post by roward »

Hi, Jim
No, I don't have you two confused. I was directing that post to Jim Hatt, although the two Jim's can be confusing. It's Jim Hatt who is the moderator for this message board, correct? Anyway, I'll try to send it to you again in your personal email.
Bob Ward
roward

Post by roward »

Jim,
I just sent it to your Arizona traveller email. It'll say rrem.htm. It's from Lost Dutchman.net website.
Bob
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I got it Bob, Thanks

Jim
roward

Post by roward »

Let me know your opinion after you read it. Familiar with Horse Mesa?
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Bob Ward,

I read it Bob. Now I recall what we were talking about. That looks like an article you got from the Internet. If so, could you post a link to it so the other people can read it and know what we are talking about?

It is not the cave I was thinking of. I don't know why Sims Ely called it a Treasure Cave. (Page 157 of his book) That is known these days as Skull Cave It is located North of the Salt River in the 4 Peaks Wilderness Area.

There is a good article about that cave at: http://www.geocities.com/~zybt/boy.htm

Jim

P.S. Never mind about posting the link Bob. I found it. It is at:
http://www.lost-dutchman.com/dutchman/rrem.htm
"Reminiscence" by Richard A. Robinson