Don't know what to do but need to vent

Dan

Re: Don't know what to do but need to vent

Post by Dan »

Young people are sometimes amazingly resilient. With any luck, this will someday be a fading memory for this young woman, and she can get along with the rest of her life. I also pray that the people responsible for this are held to answer, and that they are never given the chance to perpetrate such things again.
Kathy
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Kathy »

I agree Dan I hope the perps never see the light of day again when
they are caught.And I'm praying hard that they will be gotten soon
before they attact anyone else.I was just wondering Allen if this
young lady will be able to return to the home they just bought.I pray
she will.Kathy
EZRider

Post by EZRider »

Kathy wrote:I was just wondering Allen if this
young lady will be able to return to the home they just bought.I pray
she will.Kathy
That's going to be tough, Kathy. People who return to their home and find that it has been broken into often have difficulty feeling safe afterwards.

Imagine how hard it will be for Samantha after nearly losing her life?

There should be some sort of victim's assistance program to help them find a new home.

EZ
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

I agree with you EZ.I don't think I would be able to return.I feel so
bad for this family.I pray things will turn around for them.I pray for
a full recovery for the young lady and I pray the family will all have
help dealing with this tragedy.Kathy
Allen
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Allen »

She is still confused about how she was injured. She remebers bits and pieces of the attack but is unable to comprehend all of what occured and may never remember everything. Right now, she is really angry about her hair being cut off on the right side of her scalp. It used to be most of the way down her back but now, she looks halfway like G.I. Jane. The Neurosurgeon told us earlier this week that he is amazed she survived this and even more amazed at how rapidly she is recovering. She's walking well unassisted but still has limited use of her left arm and hand but full feeling and the ability to discern between sharp pain and dull pain (Pins and pinching), so it's expected that with the re-hab, she should regain full use of all of her limbs. Still a bit of palsy on the left side of her face and difficulty in turning her eyes to the left but much better than Monday when she could only look to the right.
My son has already decided that they will not bring her back into the house and has already lined up some friends to help him move all of their belongings out this coming weekend. Victims assistance has been very helpful but they primarily assist in getting funding from the victims assistance fund (about $2000) to assist in re-locating and have been helpful in assisting us getting her State Disability Insurance paper work filed. As for the house, we have since found that this used to be a "Half Way House" where they sent parollees prior to releasing them completely back onto the streets. This was not disclosed in the usual required disclosures, so an attorney has already been retained to look into the matter. The house had been purchased from the bank as a foreclosure property, so we're not sure if the bank has the same disclosure requirements that a homeowner would have. In my opinion, the bank was the homeowner and should have disclosed this information. Either way, the attorney advised that he needs to get all of the details before advising them on the next course of action. He did indicate that they should continue to make their scheduled mortgage payments until this is all sorted out, so it looks like my wife and I will have some room mates once again and my son still has a mortgage payment. Not a problem for us since we will be able to provide them with a safe, comfortable home until they manage to recover from this mess. My son has asked me repeatedly to give him one of my shotguns but I continue to refuse since I feel he's too emotional at this time to make a rational decision on when is the proper situation to use it. I don't want him getting into trouble over this so my position will remain unchanged and there is no way he can open the gun safe.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Sometimes a big house dog (I like German Shephards) can really provide home security. I speak from personal experience from when I lived in Orange County.
I am also a big believer in gun rights.
EZRider

Post by EZRider »

Allen wrote:As for the house, we have since found that this used to be a "Half Way House" where they sent parollees prior to releasing them completely back onto the streets. This was not disclosed in the usual required disclosures, so an attorney has already been retained to look into the matter. The house had been purchased from the bank as a foreclosure property, so we're not sure if the bank has the same disclosure requirements that a homeowner would have. In my opinion, the bank was the homeowner and should have disclosed this information.
There is a foreclosure property in our neighborhood that is currently bank-owned. I personally told their representative of some very serious problems and he assured me they would be disclosed. However, prospective buyers viewing the property are not being told and neighbors think the bank may delaying disclosure until it goes into escrow, an indication of having very low ethical standards.

It seems unreasonable to think that banks would not be held to the usual standards of disclosure. In this case it was outrageous for the bank to put the new owners in harms way just to get a bad loan off their books.

EZ
Allen
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Allen »

EZRider wrote:
Allen wrote:As for the house, we have since found that this used to be a "Half Way House" where they sent parollees prior to releasing them completely back onto the streets. This was not disclosed in the usual required disclosures, so an attorney has already been retained to look into the matter. The house had been purchased from the bank as a foreclosure property, so we're not sure if the bank has the same disclosure requirements that a homeowner would have. In my opinion, the bank was the homeowner and should have disclosed this information.
There is a foreclosure property in our neighborhood that is currently bank-owned. I personally told their representative of some very serious problems and he assured me they would be disclosed. However, prospective buyers viewing the property are not being told and neighbors think the bank may delaying disclosure until it goes into escrow, an indication of having very low ethical standards.

It seems unreasonable to think that banks would not be held to the usual standards of disclosure. In this case it was outrageous for the bank to put the new owners in harms way just to get a bad loan off their books.

EZ
I fully agree with that and am pushing it as a premise for relieving them of their loan. I also think that the financial institution that sold the property without that disclusure, may be on the hook for one hell of a lot of liability for withholding that information. Whether they knew or not, I still think they have the responsibility to know and disclose everything regarding the sale.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Allen, sorry to hear about the legal mess on top of what your family is already dealing with. Here in California, I'd be surprised if the bank actually had less of a duty to warn than a private homeowner would. I'm sure it depends fairly heavily on whether the banking association is a big contributor to re-election campaigns of a few key politicians.

I'm glad to hear she is somewhat annoyed about her hair and appearance. Those may be a good sign she's got her wits about her. Also very glad to hear the doctor is pleasantly surprised with her recovery progress. Good news all around on that front.

Dogs are a great help with private residence security. They don't have to bite strangers to be effective. Sometimes, early warning is the best defense. Alarms can also be a great source of personal security, especially when one has already been the victim of such an attack. They do take a bit of getting used to, however. I find that my whole family appreciates having firearms handy, and everyone knows full well how to use them.

It's not likely Samantha will ever have to sustain another attack during her lifetime. But the peace of mind brought by having taken precautions may be valuable for her. I don't blame her one bit for not wanting to go back there. It's not even "home" yet, so there is no sentimental value to going back there. Further, until the perpetrator(s) are caught and dealt with, there would always be the possibility of a rerun.

Allen, I know you're dealing with a lot in your life right now. That's why I especially appreciate the updates you provide for us here. Hopefully, it gives you some release as well, to bring us the news. I think we all appreciate the updates whenever you post them.

Thanks, and give our best to Samantha and Zack. We wish them both all the best.
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

Hi Allen,
I pray the young Samantha is doing well today.And your son is getting moved out of that house.I pray you and your wife are getting plenty of rest as the youngsters will need you both when
they get there.Many Blessings.Kathy