Blythe Intaglios

Moderator: Jim_b

Kathy
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Blythe Intaglios

Post by Kathy »

The Blythe intaglios are giant earth figures on the desert mesa of the Big Maria Mountains, about 15 miles north of Blythe off of Intake Blvd (Ca Highway 95). Intaglios are also called geoglyphs and there are more than 200 of these on the Colorado River flood plain. These giant figures are probably the most famous geoglyphs in America. The figures include three large humans, a feline and a concentric circle and a spiral. The largest human figure measures 171 feet from head to toe. The first person to view the Blythe Intaglios from the air was George Palmer in 1931.But their dates of origin, purpose, and who created them remains a mystery. They are estimated to be between 200 to 2000 years old.
They were created by scraping a design in the dark colored rocks called desert pavement. By moving the desert pavement, the lighter color soil is exposed. Visitors will find a graded dirt road that winds up to the top of the mesa and two fenced areas containing two of the Giant Figures, a man and four-legged animal with what appears to be a snake at its feet. The giant desert figures, a favorite visiting spot for winter visitors , have been named to the National Register of Historic Places in Washington D.C.
The giant figures were subject to vandalism and carelessness. In 1957 students from Palo Verde High School cleaned up the area, and restored the lines of the figures in accordance with aerial photographs taken at the time of discovery. Later, fencing was placed around the giant figures.

http://www.nuggetwranglers.com/intaglio_pictures.htm
This is a link to see thr pictures
Plays In The Dirt

Re: Blythe Intaglios

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Very interesting, thanks for posting this Kathy. If I'm ever down in that area I'm going to have to check them out. I did look them up on Wikipedia but there's very little more information than you posted.

Greg (PITD)
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Blythe Intaglios

Post by reptilist »

Nice post Kathy!
Those intaglios are very cool, I remember seeing them on my first visit to this planet.
:lol: