Longstreet Cabin - Ash meadows, NV

Moderator: Jim_b

mlv
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Longstreet Cabin - Ash meadows, NV

Post by mlv »

This last saturday, I took a road trip out to Ash Meadows, NV, where springs bubble to the surface.......and this is a photo of a restored likness of Jack Longstreet's cabin, which is near Longstreet Spring.

SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Longstreet Cabin - Ash meadows, NV

Post by SteveS »

You’re not supposed to tell people about this area. Ha Ha just kidding. :lol:

I’m always amazed at the amount of desert people who are unaware of this place, so I always assumed it was a secret. ;) With all the water bubbling to the ground this area it has a long history of attaching things with legs, and fins.

Thanks, that’s a good shot of the cabin and the restore looks really good. I can’t tell from the picture, but did they pave a road right to the front door of the cabin?

I recall a rather unique tufa tower between the road and the cabin? Any pics of that?

Since you where in the area did ya check out Devil’s hole? I can’t recall what springs I have been to in the preserve but I think I was impressed with Big, Roger’s, and Fairbanks spring. The water is so clear, and has a neat green-blue hue.
mlv

Post by mlv »

Here is the picture you requested!!

They are building a raised wood pathway, which you see in the pictures, from a new parking area (with toilet) at the access road. The access roads are not paved, and all access to the cabin & spring will be via the wood walkway.....no paved roads in the entire area.

We did make it over to Devils Hole and took a look into the cave and water, the place is well secured against entry !!
mlv

Post by mlv »

This is a photo of the Longstreet Spring.........not the best view, but you can see the actual spring location in the deeper blue area, where the rocks are.
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

mlv wrote:[Here is the picture you requested!!
Yes, that’s it, and THANKS. 8-) Of course not 100% as I recall.
Nice board walk.
mlv wrote:[We did make it over to Devils Hole and took a look into the cave and water, the place is well secured against entry !!
Devil’s hole has been fenced as long as I’ve known, at least the 70’s and maybe back to the days DV Nat Monument was established. I understand not only do you need an appointment but a darn good reason to see the fish. :)
mlv

Post by mlv »

Yes, access to Devil's hole is extremely limited.

I believe the NPS has taken some pupfish and relocated them to a secure location just below Hoover Dam along the Colorado River, as a measure to ensure their survival should anything suddenly happen to the Devil's Hole population.......so the whole spiecies doesn't get wiped out in some freak incident.
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

mlv wrote:I believe the NPS has taken some pupfish and relocated them to a secure location ......
I seem to recall that population got wiped out in late 06, since then the Fws teamed up with Mandalay Bay and has had some good results. Anyone know the latest on the Pup fish?
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Thanks mlv for the great photos, looks like a very interesting place.
Here's an update on the Pup fish.
http://www.fws.gov/Nevada/protected_spe ... p/dhp.html
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Neat photos mlv: Don't stop posting these as they are interesting. I might have more questions for you?

Don....
HSSC

Post by HSSC »

Longstreet had a place near Tonopah NV. as well. I'd like to vist that place.