LeeVW

Re: F J Cruiser

Post by LeeVW »

Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Desert Cruiser »

First off Gas mileage --- everybody I know that has one gets different mileage anywhere from 13.5 to 21. Why, it's simple, it's the way they drive. I've put 65,000 on ours now and almost every tank I've checked the gas mileage. It's the best way to tell if something is wrong. Our mileage is always around 19.5 to 20.5 for going into town or being on the Interstate. I hardly ever nail it, slow starts make a big difference, and I hardly ever let the tach go over 2,000 rpms when running the highways which is about 72 miles an hour. Go to 80 or more (and the Cruiser does that easily) and your gas mileage drops a lot. Desert driving depends on how much your muscling the vehicle over obstacles. Just like fast starts that eat gas. I know it will hit 115 easily as I did that once just to see if it does have a good top end.

Like Terry said the getting into the back for people is a pain, just throwing a cooler or camera gear in there is ok.

Lee VW: The Taco (newer ones) have plenty of hp and torque. They are a lighter vehicle than the FJ. The link to sfx that you put in there has very little that I'd agree with. They are recommendint Air Raid cold air intakes for example, and there is no advantage to them at all. They are not inside an enclosed box Like Toyota TRD cold air intakes are. Which means they get dirty faster and the heat in the engine compartment is flowing into intake manifold and retarding hp and reducing gas mileage. They recommend it because of price, The Toyota one is cheaper in the short run. I've tried a lot on mine some things work others don't. I now have air filter oil made by K&N that I will never get again. It's too thin and it's supposed to be made for that filter. The Toyota oil costs more but traps more dirt, dust and doesn't leak out on the wheel well.

Sandman are you still with us?

Don...
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Here's a few of my favorite shots of the Cruiser:

Don...
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Very nice shots Don!
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Still here with ya. Thanks for the input so far. I'm workin tonight alot and we're busy.

Keep it coming everyone. I like the comparisons between the FJ and Taco.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Your welcome Sandman, hope all this help with you making a decision. IF you get an FJ you can join our club, oh that's right we don't have a club.

Terry, nice photo and it looks like a nice setup for camping in remote spots. I envy you having that tent trailer. Next time get us some photos of the inside of the tent trailer?

Don....
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Sandman: I had a Taco a while ago, the extra cab version with a V6. Great off road except for two things

(1) Terrible turning radius, probably the worst of any 4X4 out there.
(2) It rode like a truck, which ok if your working out of it. Washboard roads were a nightmare.

Don....
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

Here's a picture of the Toy I used to have, taken February 13, 1993, the day I bought it:

In case the photo isn't clear (it's a scanned 35mm print), the color is that beautiful dark metallic blue, not black. The paint became enhanced with desert pinstriping before I even had 500 miles on the truck. I only had it in stock form for six months or so, then went for the Rancho 3" lift, Alcoa aluminum wheels, and 32" tires (stockers were 28"). I had the diffs regeared with 4.88 ratios to compensate for the larger tires. I was 21 years old and fearless. I never did find a hill that truck couldn't climb. It only had open diffs too! I had the same two complaints Don had about his Taco. It rode rough (especially after installing the lift), and the turning radius was worse than a full sized truck. I had one other complaint. The 3.0L V6 was gutless. It was very disappointing when I started pulling trailers.

I traded that truck in on a Ford Ranger 4X4. I did it because I didn't want one of the Toyota's head gaskets to blow and leave me stranded. In retrospect, I should have kept the Toy. It's not that the Ford wasn't a good truck, it's just that its 4X4 system left a lot to be desired. Then the Check Wallet light kept coming on and I traded it in on the Dodge I still have.

Ever since I got into buggies in 1995 I have pretty much stopped using regular trucks for off-highway exploration. No truck or suv can match the nimble nature or ride comfort of such a light weight vehicle (1,500 pounds unloaded). Not to mention the Fun Factor!

There is a different kind of comfort, one that refers to the air temperature and ability to get out of the wind. Normally, I prefer to be out in the elements, experiencing the desert. Then there's the winter time, and when the snow is blowing sideways I would prefer to be inside the cab with the heater blasting. That's why I'm looking at this thread. I haven't yet found a vehicle I like more than the Dodge, but I am getting some great information here and in other places. There is no better resource than those who actually drive these things on a daily basis. Keep the Good Stuff coming!

Lee
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Hey Lee, I had the same experience as you with the Taco. It didn't have enough guts to pull big long mountain hills either, mine was a 1990. It also used to bog down in a soft wash. Mine had already had the head gasket repair --- which was free from Toyota. Also they replaced all the tie rods and steering links and realigned the front for free. What other car company would do that? I was the 5th owner and it had 210,000 miles on it by then.

Now the new ones -- the engines in them are completely different and have more torque and hp. I think you ought to test drive one if your thinking about a truck. On occasion I miss a truck. When you find that really nice dead sarguaro that's 10 ft. long or that really big rock you want. But otherwise I'll stick with the cruiser, so far it's the best I've every had. And it does run like a V8. It would tow a small trailer to live in or a bunch of ATV's or a sand rail with no problem. I say that because I've towed my buddy's trailer loaded with lumber (he's a contractor) several times for him and it's hard to tell it's back there.

By the way I like the color of your truck --please post a photo of it on the other thread started on this forum -- maybe it'll get some others started to putting photos in of their vehicles.

http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1159

Don....
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

I didn't get the same level of service you did from my local Toyota dealer. The head gasket did not let go before I got rid of the truck, but a number of other things went wrong, none of which were covered under warranty. I have learned much since those days, and I think I would be able to handle the situation better now.

Yes, the Taco is on my list of trucks to test drive when I get to that point. I like the looks of them, and everyone I know who has one really likes it. No doubt it will be much better mechanically than previous versions! My friend's FJ pulls his Airstream with no difficulties, so I have no doubt that towing or hills will no longer be an issue.

One thing about the FJ I don't really like is the way the engine seems like it has to work to get up the grades. It isn't as smooth or as quiet as the V8 in my truck, but maybe that's what you have to expect when a V6 is asked to do a V8's job. Don't get me wrong, it gets the job done, but I am used to a smoother setup with more punch in the low end. The gas mileage of the FJ is also about what I get with the Dak, but the Taco is probably better. I guess I'll have to drive one to find out!

I'll post the picture soon!

Lee

P.S. I guess there's always the Tundra! :twisted: