Metal Detecting in 1945

SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Metal Detecting in 1945

Post by SteveS »

Going thru old Desert Magazines again.

I know some around here are into Metal Detecting, I found a story about Doodlebug Prospector. It’s in the July 1945 issue on page 5. I haven’t read the story, but the pictures show some rather large and cumbersome devices. :)

I’m mainly looking at the war years. I’m looking for any reference to the Desert Training Camps. As of yet haven’t found anything, but a few references to areas closed by the military. I’m not reading everything word for word, but I am scanning every page. I kind it neat when they have a story about a desert site that is now inside of a restricted base.
:)
Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Metal Detecting in 1945

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Steve: That's an old 2 box detector, they called them doodlebugs back then. I had one that attached to my Garret that was supposed to read down to about 15 ft. deep.

Listen since your looking at them, I just haven't had time yet to do my search, so if you run into this would you let me know. I'm looking for an old article about some seeds that the Indians used to eat for stamina on long runs. They found them in the high desert. When I had the magazines I read that once and would like to find it again. They really did work by the way. If you run across it you can post it here or e-mail me at ukiexplorers@yahoo.com

Don....
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I vote for posting it here! I want to read it Too!

Hey Don, I just had a thought. You have them all on your computer in PDF format. You should be able to do a word search and search them all for "seed" and find it.

START - SEARCH - DOCUMENTS (word processing, spreadsheet, etc.) A word or phrase in the document - (under advanced options)

Just sit back and wait for the results, while it searches all the documents on your hard drive

Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

I don't know if that would work or not Jim. It may, but then again aren't the PDF files image files of the text? If they are then a search for words wouldn't work --- BUT -----

I found it anyway. The wonders of a fast computer! I just went thru 19 years of them and found the article. I'll post it as a new Desert Magazine article here on this forum. Give me a couple of days to format it and put it up on Photobucket. Some of the information that Linda found on the plant will surprise us! Sounds like something I'd like to try for extra energy!

Thanks,

Coming soon ---- Don....
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Jim I think you were right about the search for text. The article is posted now, have a look see.

Don....
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I couldn't find it Don. You have a lot of Desert Magazine topics, but the titles only have dates not subjects that identify what they are about.

Since you are probably going to have a lot of these articles. You need to talk to Jim_b about setting up a SUB FORUM for them, and put them all in the same place with a title on them that identifies the subject of the article. (Just my opinion)

In the mean time.. How about a "Link"?
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Space Cowboy »

Isn't that chia, like in the pet?
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

First Jim: Yes I thought about that, and I'll give it some more thought, but this forum is not nearly as busy as yours is; and having another topic on yours I see that it's justified. Here, the interest runs low after a couple of weeks and that's how long the magazines are set to stay at the top. This sub-topic would get too big after a while, I think. We'll see.

As for the link: http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1172

Space Cowboy: Yep it's the same thing. Please go to the link above and I've addressed that in a post there to Gregg. Nobody ever thought of a Chia pet that could produce seeds to eat. Funny huh? Thanks for asking.

Don....