F J Cruiser

Moderator: Jim_b

Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: F J Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Lee the Cruiser has got a great low end. It does downshift on hills, and your V8 probably has more torque so it doesn't on the middle to high end. I guess I'm used to it now. We had a 05 Avalon that had a 3.5 liter V6 with 280 hp that would pull a mountain and never downshift to keep it at 80 or any speed, loved that motor. The Tundra's are great for power, but you'd better have deep pockets for gas money. A couple I know about don't get over 15 mpg.

Don...
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

Don,

No doubt the FJ has more than enough power. I guess I can't get over the different sound the V6 makes or the difference in torque curve. No matter what you do to it, a V6 will never sound like a V8, nor will it be able to loaf along quite as much. Another friend's Corvette is a great example. Driven gingerly, you can pretty much idle it all the way up to 80 MPH.

But I'm getting tired of feeding a V8! The Dodge will get over 20 MPG, but only on long trips, and if I can keep the speed under 70 MPH. Mileage of 14-15 when driven easy around town is more like it. I guess I'm really starting to get stuck on the Taco. I guess I had better drive one!!!

Oh yeah, my dad has a 2000 Avalon. Nice ride! The steering is a bit lighter than I like, but it's a great car for smoothness.

Lee
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Thanks again for the input guys. I'm going to go do a test drive in both the taco and the F J soon. I'm not into speed but I do like the power. I'm into everything from the hardpan low desert floor to the aspen groves in the high country

One thing Don, I am partial to stick shift trucks....an old habit I supose since I was taught to drive at age 13 by my Dad.

Also, can you tow the automatic without a dolly? I have a small motorhome that's built on a Ford E350 chassis with a V10. It's a winterized version and I tow my current vehicle , set up the base camp and explore from there. I've seen others with tent trailers out along the Mojave road. I'm a 4 season travelleer and I like a warm place to hang out when the weather turns frozen.

I'm getting in alot of overtime and almost ready to go shopping. I'm not an impulse buyer but the FJ looks cool and will have plenty of HP to suit my needs. Now is a good time of year
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Sandman: That may be the demise of the Cruiser for you then! You can't tow one, unless you spend another 3 to 4 thousand to put an axle disconnect and oil pump in it. Bummer. The only other way would be to put it on a triailer and it's pretty big for a trailer. Because of the locker and limited slip rears you can't tow them. Talk to the dealer, but if you get an uneducated salesman? Know what I mean?

Don....
HSSC

Post by HSSC »

Desert Cruiser wrote:Sandman: That may be the demise of the Cruiser for you then! You can't tow one, unless you spend another 3 to 4 thousand to put an axle disconnect and oil pump in it. Bummer. The only other way would be to put it on a triailer and it's pretty big for a trailer. Because of the locker and limited slip rears you can't tow them. Talk to the dealer, but if you get an uneducated salesman? Know what I mean?

Don....
What's an unedgamacatted car salesman. :?:
The FJ is on the short list for my daughter when she gets through the first two years of the University of NV. Reno.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

HSSC: Are you kidding -- I spelled that like this (uneducated)? Isn't that right? Your kidding of course, and I should be too as I've probably never met an educated car salesman. Not that they aren't educated, just not in the vehicles they sell. Most don't know much about them and your better off looking else where for info.

Sandman: Did that kill the FJ Cruiser for you?

Don....
HSSC

Post by HSSC »

Desert Cruiser wrote:HSSC: Are you kidding -- I spelled that like this (uneducated)? Isn't that right? Your kidding of course, and I should be too as I've probably never met an educated car salesman. Not that they aren't educated, just not in the vehicles they sell. Most don't know much about them and your better off looking else where for info.

Sandman: Did that kill the FJ Cruiser for you?

Don....
Had me fooled. I'm in Webster's instant word guide way to much. :shock:

Car salemen are the target of way to many jokes. A buyer should edjuemacate themselves before leaving the house. If a man is putting food on the table and is honest...........
I should know, I'm a truck driver. Teamster,readymix.
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

The Internet has done more to empower the consumer than anything else in history. We can do so much research before buying, there's almost too much information! It's great being able to talk to those who use these vehicles for their intended purpose on a regular basis. No one here has anything to gain or lose. Just sharing information.

I hope the "no tow" caveat didn't take the FJ off Sandman's list. He could always pull a small travel trailer with the FJ, leave the trailer at the campsite while out exploring. My friend does that and it works well for him. Just another option.

Oh yeah, he also says he gets about the same mileage towing as he does with no trailer. Something about keeping it down to 60MPH on the highway! :D

Lee
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

LeeVW: You can tow a trailer with the FJ you just can't tow it behind a motorhome.
D.C. Wrote: That may be the demise of the Cruiser for you then! You can't tow one, unless you spend another 3 to 4 thousand to put an axle disconnect and oil pump in it.
Hope I explained this better.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I still like the FJ and not being able to tow it isn't the end of the world. A tent trailer behind the FJ will work fine. It's my wife who needs a little padding and comfort. She's pushing 60 and deserves a decent comfortable bed while on the trail.

And.....I still have my old 4x4 to use if I wish when we take the motorhome long distances. I don't plan on selling it. It's got a little 4 cylinder motor and it lacks power, but it's geared well with hi/low 4x4. I've been some amazing places with it but it's time for a new vehicle

For now, I'm working as much OT as I can get and saving like a squirrl. It's time to start looking seriously.

Hey Lee, what do you like about the Taco. I saw those pictures of Steve's and it looks like a truck ready for the way back there country. This fall we should plan a weekend get together. Caruther's canyon in the Mojave preserve? I keep seeing them manx around.