Anza Borrego

Moderator: Jim_b

Henriëtte
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Anza Borrego

Post by Henriëtte »

Hi, we're Hanz and Henriëtte from the Netherlands, Europe. Next year we will be visiting the USA for the tenth time, and because we have planned a lot of desert in our trip, we just joined this forum.

We want to visit Anza Borrego around April 20th. We will be driving in a stock 4wd high clearance car, and we want to do some offroad driving that is suitable for such a car. So far, I've seen names like Coyote Canyon and Canyon Sin Nombre. Does anyone of you have driven these dirtroads, and can you tell us how difficult they are. Of course we would appreciate it if you can give us other roads that are adventurous, but not extreme.

We like to do some hiking too. We love visiting slotcanyons, I know there must be a few in Anza Borrego. We are looking for moderate hikes up to 6 miles length. Any suggestions?

To give you an idea of what we've done so far: http://www.ontdek-amerika.nl/fotoreportages.html

Thanks in advance for your help,
Hanz and Henriëtte
Mike C.

Re: Anza Borrego

Post by Mike C. »

Hi H&H, welcome to this wonderful site! Anza Borrego has too many things to see! You will enjoy the visit, especially in April. I HIGHLY recommend you purchase the best book on Anza Borrego titled THE ANZA BORREGO DESERT REGION. This book was written by Lowell and Diana Lindsay and published by Wilderness Press. It is paperback and includes a map. You can purchase it right here on DUSA! Click on the book/map link from the home page. Go to the visitor center before you continue your journey. They will give you current road conditions and will offer many suggestions including hikes. You can also purchase the above mentioned book there and good maps. Coyote Canyon may get too difficult past a certain point (including water crossings) but your common sense Will tell when to turn around (with me it is at the "by-pass") which is steep and rocky. Canyon Sin Nombre is nice and you should have no problem. Check out Font's Point---what a view of the badlands! You must see Sandstone Canyon; in my opinion one of the most spectacular places in the region. Yes there are some cool slot canyons in the park---that is why I suggest you purchase the book. Do it soon, the more you read it the better educated you will become of the area. By the time April arrives you will become very anxious to get there! There are many good people on this site that contain great knowledge of the area and I'm sure you will here from them soon. Take care and enjoy life! :) Mike C. Brea, Ca
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

Hi again---the telephone number to the visitor center is: (760)767-4205. Mike C
SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by SteveS »

Hi Henriëtte:
Welcome to the forum. Mike C has already given you some GREAT tips. Many around here will be able to help you with ideas about the park and the routes you plan to travel.

Do you plan on camping or staying in a motel? Are you borrowing somene’s 4x4 or do you have a rental? Do you know if it has an onboard air compressor to air up the tires?

What maps do you have for the park? That would aid us in helping you plan routes as we can be sure to use the same names as your map has.

I’ll try to get you some information about the routes you asked about and add some more information as time permits. I’m sure others will have some good tips to add.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Welcome to the site. I really enjoyed looking at your photos. Do you mind me asking what kind of 4x4 car will you be driving? The kind of tires that would be on it could also be a factor.
Some of the slot canyons that my husband & I have driven into have been so narrow that we have had to turn around.
Henriëtte

Post by Henriëtte »

Thanks for your replies :)

We've just started planning our trip, so I don't know much about Anza Borrego so far. Buying the book you mentioned, Mike, is a very good start, I guess. We just ordered it, not on DUSA but on a site here in the Netherlands (to avoid the shipping costs). It should be falling on our doormat within a few days.

We will be driving a rental car. So far, we have rented our cars from Alamo. Unfortunately, these rental cars aren't as good as we would like. One of the things we have planned is the trip to the Racetrack Playa in Death Valley NP, we would prefer to take two spare tires. We once asked Alamo if it was possible to take an extra spare tire, but they gave us no for an answer. We've never had an air compressor in one of our rentals.
During our last trip we had our first flat tire.... on the Smokey Mountain Road near Page, Arizona. So we know what it's like to be stranded in the middle of nowhere :roll:

Maybe there are companies where we can rent a car that suits us better? Tips are welcome.

During our trip (4 weeks, starting in LA en ending in SF) we will be staying in motels. Simple motels (motel 6, for instance) are fine with us. We never make reservations, so we can change our route in case of bad weather.

We're really looking forward to our next visit to the USA. With your help, it can't go wrong!!
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Henriëtte: After looking through a lot of your photo albums on your different web pages -- well -- I think you and Hanz are professional photographers! What a fabulous collection of photos of the USA. I didn't have time to look at all the photos of other places in the world you've been too. They are impressive and others here should go look. I only wish I could read your native language. We'll look into the car rental thing for a decent 4 wheel drive for your trip. When do you plan to do this?

Thanks so much for sharing the photos!

Don....
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Okay D.C. asked me to look for 4x4 rentals, so this is what I came up with.
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/califor ... hicles.htm

Here's some more info:
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic ... cabaja.htm

U.S Rental Rates
(Traveling in CA, AZ, NV)
Includes 150 miles/dy and 1000 miles/wk Mexico Rental Rates
(Traveling to Mexico)
Includes 100 miles/dy
RATES ARE SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY AND MAY CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
4X4 Vehicles US Daily US Wkly Mex Daily Mex Wkly
Jeep Wrangler, soft top $79.97 $399.97 $109.97 N/A
Landrover $109.97 $549.79 $149.97 N/A
Excursion $119.97 $599.97 $159.97 N/A
Tahoe $129.97 $669.97 $164.97 N/A
Suburban $134.97 $699.97 $169.97 N/A
Crew-Pick-Up $119.97 $599.97 $159.97 N/A
*Towing is permitted on some vehicles.(addl. fee applies)
Jim_b

Post by Jim_b »

Here a list of videos on the trails in Anza Borrego DSP.
http://www.desertusa.com/anza_borrego/d ... video.html
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Henriëtte: Don't miss the video that the administrator gave you the link too. They'll help a lot.

I am still thinking about your photography skills. In particular the photo captures you had of Antelope Canyon, and the Wave. I've seen hundreds of photos of them, some by professionals. They are all almost completely alike -- what I mean is this -- for example the shots from inside the slot canyon in Antelope Canyon all have the colors and the shaft of light in the center illuminating the floor in a circle. The Wave photos all look pretty much the same, shot from the same place.

Yours on the other hand are completely unique and makes you feel like your there. The Wave you photogaphed looks more like a wave in the ocean than any I've ever seen and they are stunning!

So here's what I'm getting at --- when you go on your next trip over here, please don't forget us, and after you have your album built, PLEASE give us a link so we can view them? I know I'd certainly appreciate that.

Don....