FRONTIER TIMES - 1973 - PERALTA STONE MAPS ARTICLE

Moderator: Jim_b

iloveerika8
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: FRONTIER TIMES - 1973 - PERALTA STONE MAPS ARTICLE

Post by iloveerika8 »

I researched my ex-wife's Tumlinson family back in the mid-1990's. There is only one "peg-leg" Tumlinson that I know of and that is John Jackson Tumlinson (1849 - 1920), son of Joe (Joseph L.) Tumlinson (1811-1874), who was featured in the History Channel's fantasic episode "Vendettas, Sutton vs Taylor", which you can purchase from the History Channel as I did, I suppose. Great stuff - check it out. Old Joe Tumlinson was a Mexican War Vet, cattle rancher, DeWitt county lawman and Indian fighter. His 1st cousin George Washington Tumlinson died at the Alamo at age 27. Old Joe was the son of the first John Jackson Tumlinson that I know of, who lived 1776 - 1823. He was Alcade of San Antonio and was killed by an Indian in the presence of his friend Joseph Newman. Old Joe Tumlinson married 2nd Joseph Newman's daughter Elizabeth in 1840. I have a good photo of Joe's son, "peg-leg" Tumlinson (minus his peg-leg, ha) and more on the Tumlinson family. Good luck with the hunt. Someboy just remember to treat me to the story and some pictures when (and if) you ever find it! Seriously though, good luck. Sincerely. Dean Jones
cubfan64
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: FRONTIER TIMES - 1973 - PERALTA STONE MAPS ARTICLE

Post by cubfan64 »

iloveerika8 wrote:I researched my ex-wife's Tumlinson family back in the mid-1990's. There is only one "peg-leg" Tumlinson that I know of and that is John Jackson Tumlinson (1849 - 1920), son of Joe (Joseph L.) Tumlinson (1811-1874), who was featured in the History Channel's fantasic episode "Vendettas, Sutton vs Taylor", which you can purchase from the History Channel as I did, I suppose. Great stuff - check it out. Old Joe Tumlinson was a Mexican War Vet, cattle rancher, DeWitt county lawman and Indian fighter. His 1st cousin George Washington Tumlinson died at the Alamo at age 27. Old Joe was the son of the first John Jackson Tumlinson that I know of, who lived 1776 - 1823. He was Alcade of San Antonio and was killed by an Indian in the presence of his friend Joseph Newman. Old Joe Tumlinson married 2nd Joseph Newman's daughter Elizabeth in 1840. I have a good photo of Joe's son, "peg-leg" Tumlinson (minus his peg-leg, ha) and more on the Tumlinson family. Good luck with the hunt. Someboy just remember to treat me to the story and some pictures when (and if) you ever find it! Seriously though, good luck. Sincerely. Dean Jones
Welcome to the forum - I wasn't clear as to whether Travis and "Peg leg" Tumlinson were part of your ex-wife's family, or if you just ran across those names while researching that geneology.

If her family was indeed related to Travis and Peg Leg, is there any additional family history you can share that may be relevant to the Stone Maps?

Thanks