Parashant

Moderator: Jim_b

NissanBoy
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Parashant

Post by NissanBoy »

I am a huge fan of PNM. I have been there numerous times under good and bad conditions. I went there last Sunday with two enduro motorcycles thinking I could tackle just about any trail out there, boy was that feeling short lived!!!!!! Has anyone here ever tried to traverse the 1050 through Grand Gulch Canyon? I will attach a photo so anyone with some sense will know to avoid this goat trail! If I had my atv it would be fun as hell, but on two wheels it was an ass kicker. I am sure the triple digit heat wasn't helping either.

Ok well I need to learn to post photos, work in progress. Email me at mghattendorf@yahoo.com if you want to see pics or know how to post easily.

Mark
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Here's a link to posting photos in here --- http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=314

Don....
NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

Thanks DC I will try that when I get home. The second time I went out to Parashant was Memorial day weekend of 2008. It rained pretty much all day Friday and sporadically on Saturday. It gets a little nasty out there when it rains, but it makes the scenery out there all that more impressive when you have thunderheads as a backdrop to the mountains. How many people out there have made the Turkey day Copper Mtn run with Tommy? I have a stock pathfinder riding on 31's but I don't know if that would be too tough of a route with that vehicle?
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Nissanboy: One of the few 4X4's I've never owned is a Nissan Pathfinder, but two friends swear by them and they do really good with them. Is yours a 4x4? If it is you should be fine if your careful. They're pretty tough vehicles!

Don...
NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

I have a 92 Pathfinder 4wd with a LSD rear end. I think running ground clearance is about 9~10". Definitely no rock crawler, but in the slight time I have owned it, it has been impressive. I got it stuck once in a nasty section of a wash, but nothing a lil digging couldn't unstick. I also have a newer Yota Taco prerunner that gets me more places than I could have imagined in a two wheel drive truck. I just wish my 08 Taco had the factory rear locker like the 09's do. Oh well! I am still working on the photos.......
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Sounds like you need to air down when in the soft stuff -- that helps more than anything. I usually go down to 16# and then air back up to 38# when come out. It really softens the ride too! My Cruiser has a locker in the rear and it has A Track (stops a spinning wheel and makes the opposing one pull). That all works good but with over 25 thousand miles off road on it I've only had to use the lockers 3 times. And if I didn't care about getting beat up I could have made it without it. Tires make a big difference too. After years of off roading and trying a lot of different ones we've decided on BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's as the best all round tire. They last about 60,000 on the road too.

Don....
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Desert Cruiser wrote: After years of off roading and trying a lot of different ones we've decided on BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's as the best all round tire. They last about 60,000 on the road too.

Don....
I currently have a set of those on my 2wd truck right now. It's the second set I've had on there and the first set lasted me 120,000 miles and still had tread on them. (yes you are reading that figure correctly. :D )

A great tire in my opinion.
NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

Airing down would not have helped in that specific situation. I was in silty stuff about the consistency of powdered sugar, plus I was stuck on the frame cause I dropped down into washed out portion. It wasn't a very intelligent off road maneuver, but I was within cell phone range of help. I was looking at buying a FJ Yota, but I couldn't convince my better half that it was what I needed. That is a nice rig you got there for sure Don. I love BFG's and when the Pathy needs a new set of rubber I will definitely be going that route. 25k offroad miles, dang that is some serious driving. Do you have a favorite spot to recommend to your wheelin' buddies?

Mark
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

25,000 is only a small part. The Cruiser has over 65,000 on it now. It's 2 1/2 years old. As for a place to go off roading, no nothing specific, we've run all over 5 states now in this vehicle. As Gregg said they'll last a long time if you don't takes chunks out of them off road. Our last set lasted 45,000 miles which I thought was terrific considering what they'd been through. Gregg knows as he went out with us a couple of times. I had Goodyear MTR's 33 inchers on my Toyota pickup and they were awesome tires that would climb over anything and grip anything with the heaviest sidewalls you could imagine. Great unless you minded spending $1,200 every 6 to 8 months on new ones. The tread just disappeared on the highway. What area do you line in? Not specific, just general area?

Don...
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

"BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's as the best all round tire"

Thats what I run on my truck and they have held up well with very impressive performance in all kinds of terrain from lava rock to sand.

I'm thinking about buying an FJ. Everything I have heard about them has been positive.