Parashant

Moderator: Jim_b

Tono Aratagona
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Parashant

Post by Tono Aratagona »

Desert Cruiser wrote:Well Jack: that's the kind of attitude a lot of people have about others driving off road (There will always be people who do it)

Jack's quote:
As concerns trash, there will always be people who throw it out,
whether on paved roads or off
It's still not the thing to do, and does almost as much damage as you described. Oh and one other thing, what do you tell disabled people when they shut down all the dirt, gravel roads
into the desert -- sorry but you just can't see this anymore. I think your assumption is wrong, enforcement of the laws would be nice, but with the economy the way it is -- won't happen -- so what is the answer?

As for the snowmobiles, what kind of damage does that cause running on top of the snow. it's not tearing up the landscape --- maybe you could clarify that --- and please keep it civil. Thank you.

Don....
Desert Cruiser, I just finished a hike to the highest mountain lake in the Pecos Wilderness - and while the lake itself was gorgeously beautiful, I had to spend half the afternoon picking up broken glass from my campsite.
I myself use an eco friendly hammock system - which you can buy at every REI store - it works with bark friendly ropes and requires 0 permanent alterations to the environment. The whole thing can be set up in under 20 minutes.

Yet people bring glass bottles up those mountains, smash them and leave the pieces there and drive 10 inch nails into trees to secure their ropes.

Face it, most people are jackasses and couldn't care less about the environmental damage they leave behind.
In their narrow minded view there is always more nature to mess up next time around - that's just how people are.

Park Rangers can't be at all those places, heck it took us almost 6 hours to hike up to Lake Katherine alone. You'd need hundreds of rangers to secure the Pecos Wilderness and that with shrinking budgets all around.

So I can understand Jack's arguments, what irks me is that folks like myself end up getting punished alongside.

And as far as snowmobiles are concerned, their impact is the damage they cause to the grass hidding under the snow cover (pressure damage), and most of all the noise.
Wild game is very shy and hides out in the forest. Moving around during winter time costs an enormous amount of energy and every time a gang of snow mobile hoodlums runs through the area, wild animals of all kinds are panicking and wasting precious resources by trying to get out of the way.

And in Yellowstone the Rangers have to wear gas masks on some days, because of all the exhaust from the 1000+1 snowmobiles running amok in the park.
In Europe they have Electrical snow mobiles in many places now, but it'll never catch up in America because here you're viewed as a "girly man" if you think of the environment as something else than a huge amusement park.

So I for one think that Jack's got a point here...sadly enough
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Tono: I think that's pretty much what I said. It aggravates me to no end to see trash and junk like that in the desert or mountains.

Look I'm not asking for sympathy here, but I'm disabled and used to hike a lot of places, but can't anymore, neither can my wife, so closing roads would tick me off and I know a lot of other seniors that would feel the same way. And when we go for a drive into the desert or mountains (on designated roads) we don't leave anything behind, and usually clean up bottles and junk if we have room. Our fellow travelers do the same or they don't travel with us! They feel the same way.

As for the snowmobiles it's been at least 35 years since we snowmobiled in the Potato Patch in Pennsylvania and back then there wasn't as many people out there disturbing the wildlife. I guess today that's the way it has to be. Too many people out there tearing it up. We like the wildlife and don't want to disturb it -- we want to photograph it! Thanks for helping to keep it clean -- if only everyone did that?

Don....
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Glass weighs a ton. Who in their right mind would back pack it in? I keep a roll of trashbags in my truck and often haul out the crap I find. The bin I use for my fly fishing waders and boots is an ice chest that has bear tooth marks in it that I found. While some people are slobs, there are many of us frequent back country travelers who practice leave no trace ethics.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Sandman: I'm glad to hear that, as we are too. Heck we smoke and never leave cigarette butts on the ground. Wish everyone felt that way. You certainly must know how annoying it is to photograph an area and have to clean up trash so you can get a trash free photo?

Don....
Tono Aratagona

Post by Tono Aratagona »

Sandman wrote:Glass weighs a ton. Who in their right mind would back pack it in? I keep a roll of trashbags in my truck and often haul out the crap I find. The bin I use for my fly fishing waders and boots is an ice chest that has bear tooth marks in it that I found. While some people are slobs, there are many of us frequent back country travelers who practice leave no trace ethics.
Sandman, while I was traversing the rockface over the lake, I could hear in the distance (mountain air carries a long way) how a joung climber bragged in front of his girl friend about all the stuff he'd leave behind "that way I only have to carry half the weight (back down)". He was actually proud of himself!
Face it, people are what they are.
Stupid me on the other hand, I actually ended up picking up other people's trash on my way down.

I also don't like roads getting closed off and I feel for Desert Cruiser.
But specially some desert areas are just to fragile to cope with lots of trash and people don't want to pay the taxes it would take to clean them up regularly.
So its either that or lose those places anyway. This way at least the wildlife can still enjoy them.
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

down in the Parashant

Sycamore
NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

So everyone agrees trash sucks! Can we move on and write about what this post is supposed to be about, PARASHANT!!!!!!

I am planning on taking another overnight trip there the weekend of Oct 17-18. We don't have a route set in stone yet, but will probably leave Vegas at daybreak on Saturday drive until dusk and then camp where ever. Campfire and shots will end the day (don't worry we bring plastic travel flasks, no broken whiskey bottles). Next day find our way out by taking a different path. I will be in my Pathy, but there will be 2wd trucks with us so it will be pretty predictable, not easy necessarily.

Let me know if anyone else wants to run with us!
NissanBoy

Post by NissanBoy »

By the way nice photo Sycamore! What route was that on? I would love to spend a week on my quad in PNM and really get to know the trails out there, but with a wife and newborn I think it will have to wait until later in life!

Mark
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

nissanboy: I've been following this thread and after your adventures in Parashant I was looking through some of my photos of when we went to Toroweap Overlook and on the Park sign it says Parashant. And after leaving the area a couple of times we went across the South of Mt. Trumbul to Mt. Trumbul schoolhouse and then up to St. George. What I want to know is this --- is all of that the Parashant you guys are talking about?

Don....
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Also I asked Don (D.C.) if that was what they call Molly's Nipple in the background?