For Sandman

Iggy
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

For Sandman

Post by Iggy »

Thought of you Sandman when I saw this in the Utah paper. Sounds like your kind of fun, get your saxophone out. ;) Hope you see this while your up in beautiful Utah.
http://www.thespectrum.com/article/2009 ... etter-news
Iggy

Re: For Sandman

Post by Iggy »

Welcome Back Sandman, waiting to hear about your trip.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Hi Iggy,

We bailed out of Zion early Saturday morning and skipped the music festival in Springdale. Also happening was the LDS Bishops Anniversery bash down in Rockville. Way too many people for me. We ended up spending some quiet time on Panguitch creek, Panguitch Lake and then on up to the Credar Breaks and ended the day at the Paraowon Gap where we experienced a full blown lighting fused gully whomper between there and Cedar City.

I then left my wife back in Zion with the motorhome and headed up into the high country to do some catch and release fishing for cut throat trout for a couple of days. It's was QUIET up there and the fishing was phenomonal. All the trout I caught were returned to the wild but I did manage to snap a couple of pictures. The biggest one was camera shy and made his escape as I was fumbling for the camera . You shouldda seen the one that got away!
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Sandman Wrote: You shouldda seen the one that got away!
Yeah: I've heard that one before. :lol: Thanks for the report, sounds like you had a great time. You can never have to much fun up in that area.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

You left your wife for two days! Idiot LOL Did she have a good time? Hope you put some photos in here, as we've been to Panguitch Lake and Cedar Breaks too! Really spectacular places. Did you catch anything in Panguitch Lake?
Oh yeh did you make it to Escalante?

Don....
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I pulled a nice one out of Panguitch Creek by the White Bridge campground and got skunked at the lake proper but I only put in an hour and fifteen before we ambled on as the wind was up (with a solmn vow to return).

I almost did but found a more secluded lake loaded with hungry cut throat that kept be busy doing the Catch and Release. The lake I fished had a 1 trout limit, artificial lures and flys only and it had to be over 18" to keep it. It was loaded with 12-16" fish which kept me plenty busy. I fished it with 4# test and it was game on when I connected with the larger variety. There's nothin quite like dancing up and down the bank trippin on rocks and slippping in the mud. Heart pounding and hands trembling as your reel's drag makes a growling noise. I did get a great look at that beautiful fish before it released itself in the shallows by shaking the lure free. I dont reallly care about keeping such a large fish but a picture would have been nice!

I didn't make it over to Boulder Mountain this trip. Maybe next June. I'm heading out on an 8 day long range baja trip in October with some of my old fishing buddies. January I do a 16 day for giant 200# Tuna and then in the spring it's off to fly fish the west somewhere

Here is the campsite above thee ole fishing hole up on the Kolob PletauImage
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Okay Sandman that does it. I'm telling D.C. we are heading up there next month. Thanks for posting the photo.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Here is a typical cut throat trout from this lake. I try not to remove the fish from the water as I release them by gently holding them with my thumb and forfinger on their lower jaw NEVER touching the sides if I can help it. A quick release with minimal handling increases the chances this fish may grow into a trophy size trout some day.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Good for you buddy with the release technique. That was Kolob Res.? We were there last year there was still snow all over the place. Is that were that was?

Thanks for the photos, more I hope?

Don....
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

And just what does this off topic thread have to do with Desert Environmental and Land Uses? It should be put somewhere else by the mods. Oh... that's right the mods started it. And you wonder why people aren't posting much any more. Stay on topic. I am not upset but put it in the right forum :D Even Sal knows that!