Moderator: Jim_b

javaone
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: MONUMENTS & MARKERS

Post by javaone »

Hi Jim,

I found this last weekend. :D

My wife and I got of the trail to an area I thought there might be something, and sure enough it was there (maybe coincidental). It was originally about two feet taller, but some of the stones had fallen off.

In my opinion there was another "landmark" in a different area that I was looking for, but some miners had been to this area some time ago because this area was pretty chewed up. The landmark (or pile of rocks) I thought MIGHT have been there was probably destroyed by the miners. :( Could be that’s why they were mining in that area, they found something that stirred their interest (possibly).

Had still another one in mind to try to find, but we ran out of time and energy.

Jerry
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

That's a nice one Jerry!

I noticed you cropped the photo right down to almost nothing but the monument itself. :lol: What was this? Your second trip into the mountains and you're already getting secretive? :mrgreen:

Oh Man! You've got it BAD!

It only gets worse, as time goes by Jerry. But I'm sure you will love every minute of it.

Jim
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

Greetings Jerry <and everyone>,
That is a cool find, thank you for sharing the photo! I wonder if it is (or was) a mining claim corner monument? The story of Joe Deering says that he built several stacked stone claim monuments, but that he put them in "crazy" places so that no one could figure out the boundaries of the claim. I would sure want to do some more looking around that area! Thanks again!
Roy
javaone

Post by javaone »

Thanks Roy

My wife spotted it across a small canyon. It took us a while to figure out a way to get to it. The area was undisturbed, no trails or signs that anyone had been there in quite a while. The stones on the thing were a pretty good size and not real readily available - it took some work.

Secretive?… Not me… ;) As far a s trips go - its not quantity, but quality. :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:

Jerry
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

There you go Jerry,
Quality over Quantity ALWAYS!

The first thing you want to do when you find a monument like that is, inspect it carefully for the lichen growth on it. Different varieties of lichen will grow on different sides of it. A real light green (almost yellow) will grow on the South side, and a darker green will grow on the North side. The growth on the North side, will always be a lot thicker than it will be on the South side.

What you are trying to determine by this inspection, is if the lichen grew on the rocks before, or after the monument was built. A rule of thumb is that a rock has to be stationary, in one place for 100 yrs before lichen will start to grow on it. Once it starts growing... If you turn the rock so that the dark green lichen, faces the south, it will eventually die. (estimates are 30 to 50 years for this to happen).

If all the light green lichen is on the South side, and the dark green is on the North side. Then your monument has likely been standing there undisturbed for 100 years or more. A quick inspection of any stationary boulders in the area, will tell you which side of the monument should have the dark green lichen on it. I have also found this to be a pretty reliable way of finding North, without a compass anywhere in the desert.

The second thing you want to do when you find an old monument like that, is to walk around it looking inside it (between the rocks) to see if there is an old bottle, jar or tin can inside it. "Location" monuments (right near the discovery location) built by Anglo's in the late Nineteenth and early twentieth century, will have a copy of the mining claim inside them (Unless someone has already found it and removed it). I have also seen corner markers, that had claim notices inside them, describing which corner of the claim it marks.

These old Monuments and Markers can tell you a lot of things, if you know how to read the signs.

Happy Hunting!

Jim
javaone

Post by javaone »

Cool! :) I will view some of my other photos of it - Maybe I'll get lucky and see something.
Thanks Jim
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I wasn't slighting you Jerry, for only having made two trips into the mountains, before getting "secretive". I had what I considered to be "Secrets" before I even made my first trip. (Talk about being overly cautious) I admire a guy who does not jump to big conclusions, before checking things out from every angle, and keeping them tight to his chest until he has.

Jim
javaone

Post by javaone »

No worries Jim,

I looked at the other pictures, but could not see anything definitive. :(

From now on I will take lots of pictures (closeups, fine quality, different angles) of ALL the other monuments I will be finding. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jerry
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Monuments and Markers are always interesting to look at and wonder about. I will post some photos of ones that I have found.

This first one is the largest one I have ever found. It was built on top of a boulder. From the ground it is about 8 ' tall.

Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

This one I found on a high point about 1/4 mile down stream from the Miller mines.