A Hike To Petroglyph's - Photos

Plays In The Dirt

A Hike To Petroglyph's - Photos

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Today my elderly friend and I went hiking to Photograph Petroglyph's in the desert not far from where we live. She grew-up in the area and has been documenting Petroglyph's for the past 25 years or more. She knows of Petroglyph locations that no one else knows about and I'm one of only a couple of people that she trusts to show them to. The Photos below are not one of those locations.

The first image is of a fireplace that her Mother built back in the 30's. Her Father used to run cattle through this area then and this is where they camped-out.

The following Photo shows the climb we made up from the wash below to capture the above image.

Vulture
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: A Hike To Petroglyph's - Photos

Post by Vulture »

Very nice. They hopefully will be protected forever.
Plays In The Dirt

Vulture wrote:Very nice. They hopefully will be protected forever.

Thank you, and I hope they will be too. Unlikely they will though as this area is getting more and more traffic, thankfully it's been closed to motorized vehicles which should cut down on visitors quite a bit if it's more difficult to get to. That is unless they keep doing this: http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1791. I've found through the years, however, that most people are lazy these days and if they can't get to someplace to see history like this, and view it from their 4wd, (which it would take to get here), they won't go. This should eliminate future damage to the Petroglyph Panels in the area.
Guz
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Guz »

That second shot is awesome. Nice work!
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

Very nice petroglyph panels. What do you know about the culture that left them and/or how old they might be?
Plays In The Dirt

yuccahead wrote:Very nice petroglyph panels. What do you know about the culture that left them and/or how old they might be?
Thank you, I have hundreds more but won't overload the forum with them. I'm certain that these were done a hundred or more years ago by the Paiute Tribe who still live in this area. However, there are also Petroglyph's in our area that are from the Anasazi Tribe that are over a thousand years old. There have been several Tribes who passed through here over the years.
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

Fantastic photos, PITD!

It is very true that if a place is difficult to access, it will be preserved better. I am all for protecting sensitive areas like this by allowing foot traffic only. The only other thing you have to worry about is idiots putting 10,000 geocaches in among the 'glyphs. Remember the days when you had to do some actual research to find places like that?

Lee