Cactus as water filter

yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Cactus as water filter

Post by yuccahead »

Interesting article about a common prickly pear that may be used as a water purifier.

"-- Access to clean drinking water is lacking in many parts of the world but most technologies to clean water to make it fit for drinking are expensive and hard to maintain. Now researchers propose a cactus common around the world could be used to provide a cheap and easy solution."

More here=
http://www.physorg.com/news191826782.html
LDMGOLD
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Cactus as water filter

Post by LDMGOLD »

A really interesting article about the Prickley Pear (Opuntia sp). There is a lot of Prickley Pear along the Apache Trail (SR 88)

Tom K.
YeeHawKitty
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Cactus as water filter

Post by YeeHawKitty »

yuccahead wrote:Interesting article about a common prickly pear that may be used as a water purifier.

"-- Access to clean drinking water is lacking in many parts of the world but most technologies to clean water to make it fit for drinking are expensive and hard to maintain. Now researchers propose a cactus common around the world could be used to provide a cheap and easy solution."

More here=
http://www.physorg.com/news191826782.html
I know! Shame on me for coming on here almost a year later. Unfortunately, Stumble Upon brings me to lots of neat conversations from way back when. Regardless, I found this article to be really interesting! I was never aware that such a plant could act as a literal water filter. It's a shame that these plants aren't able to grow in other parts of the world where water filtration is so desperately needed. Such a shame. I wonder if our cactus friend can filter water the way refrigerator filters can? Only time will tell, I suppose.

Great article you posted, yuccahead! =)