Camino del Diablo

Moderator: Jim_b

kingmantraveler
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Camino del Diablo

Post by kingmantraveler »

I'm planning on hiking part of the Camino in October, probably from Papago Well to the Tinajas.
It's a historic trail, going back many hundreds of years, as you all probably know.
I've driven it many times, in both directions, but after the Arizona Trail, this walk will be a little easier on the feet.
A friend will be coming along, with Supplies and Gear, but it'd be good to have a second vehicle along, in case mechanical problems or sand present a driving problem. There are about 25 million BP people there, but they have their own job to do.
I plan on probably a week on the trail.
If there's someone out there who'd like to help out, it'd be appreciated. you can drop a line at kingmancruiser@yahoo.com if you'd like to help out.
Many thanks.
reptilist

Re: Camino del Diablo

Post by reptilist »

Mike!
Great to have you back on here!
kingmantraveler

Thanks, Terry.
Hopefully someone will express interest.
Young people gotta work, but maybe one of us Geriatrics will say, "What the Hell", and throw his name in.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I would like to contribute....I get 6 days off on alternate weeks on the current schedule, but copper production is ramping up in October so I expect our schedule to change.... So, I can't commit, but keep me informed just in case.
kingmantraveler

I'll stay in touch.
Right now our plans are to do it the last week in October.
Talked to the CPNWF mgr who said BP is scraping the road frequently now, so there should be no driving problem. That would take care of my concerns or need for a backup vehicle. In the 9 or 10 times I've travelled it in the past, it was always with a second vehicle, but it sounds like it's no longer necessary.
it's a shame the road's being treated like any other 'dirt road' now, but I guess it's gotta be done.
MMM

Post by MMM »

A big word of caution about traveling on this trail. This are is a hot bed of illegal activity and is extreamly dangerious to use. Expect to be buzzed by Border Patrol, Homeland Security and ICE. I was thinkng about making this run on a quad, but was talked out of it. The trail, I have been told, is trashed and you will have a high chance of incountering illegal activities. Honestly, this is NOT the same trail it was, say 20 years ago. I would highly advise that you check with the agencies that patrol the ara and get their feedback prior to making firm plans on hiking the 200 mile trail.

Mike
kingmantraveler

Appreciate your input, Mike. Thanks.
The last time I ran it, maybe 5 years ago, BP visited our campsites at least 3 times each night.
Very considerate of them. It was appreciated.
The current CPNWR manager and his assistant, have both walked it recently, and without incident.
I am staying in touch with those people, though, and if they think it best that I wait, then I will.
In the meantime, I don't intend to let Illegals dictate my plans while I'm north of the border.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

In the meantime, I don't intend to let Illegals dictate my plans while I'm north of the border.
I like that!
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Terry & Kingman Traveler:

I agree with both of you. We have never allowed illegals to dictate our traveling plans along the border. We do use more caution today then we use too. Plenty of illegals cross the CBNWR and Goldwater Gunnery Range year around, but more during the winter months. We lived a little south of Wellton, AZ they stopped at our place for water all the time. We had a faucet about 200 Ft from our house to water a fish pond.

Take care,

Tom K.
kingmantraveler

Your comment reminded me of the three individuals who wandered into the Superstitions, Tom.
Incidents such as that will likely continue ad infinitum. I've read that color can be found in very small amounts, but people who are knowledgeable in this regard are in total agreement that there just ain't none back there in the amount that Walz described. The incidents that took place up to 40 and 50 years later pretty well bear that out.
Still, those mountains are a wonder to behold and to explore. And the only unexplained feature is the 'circle of stone' in the eastern part. When I was walking the AzT, we chose to turn left at the fork in the trail, toward Reavis' site. We were ready to quit for the day. Now, looking back, I wish we'd have turned right to look at that mystery.
Mike