ARIZONA QUESTION(S)---

Moderator: Jim_b

Mike C.

ARIZONA QUESTION(S)---

Post by Mike C. »

The last week of June my wife and I will be going to visit her relatives in Pinetop/Lakeside. (just southeast of Show Low). I've never been to that area of Az. We want to do some camping, fishing, hiking, exploring, etc. Does anybody have any suggestions of what of what to see and experience in the area? I do have 4WD. I have been to the M. Rim, but not that far east. Thank you in advance, Mike C. Brea, Ca.
SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: ARIZONA QUESTION(S)---

Post by SteveS »

Mike C. wrote: We want to do some camping, fishing, hiking, exploring, etc.
If that what you like to do, then that’s a good area for it. I have never camped or fished in that area but have explored and hiked in connection with retracing the history of that area. You will most likely love that area.

IMHO the only downside to that area is the trees. I grew up in the redwoods of the northwest, I had seen all the rain and trees I need to see.

BTW you do know thats in the Sitgreaves National Forest.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/asnf/recreation/

Have fun :D
kingmantraveler
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by kingmantraveler »

Used to live in ShowLow - a long long time ago, so I don't remember too much, except I loved the forest.
General Crook who commanded the Army in Arizona in the 1870s and early 1880s built a road from Fort Apache, 20-40 miles south of SL, all the way to what is now Camp Verde.
Can't drive it, but it might be fun to hike.
Fort Apache itself is an interesting stop.
There's a lake outside Pinetop on the reservation that I understand is good for fishing. Big Lake is its name, I believe.
Other than that, there are a whole bunch of fun roads to travel and explore. It's a great place to visit.
kingmantraveler

Whoops. Screwed up on Crook's Trail. It ended up at Ft Whipple, miles to the west of Cp Verde.
A lot of history's on that trail.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Used to live in ShowLow - a long long time ago, so I don't remember too much, except I loved the forest.
General Crook who commanded the Army in Arizona in the 1870s and early 1880s built a road from Fort Apache, 20-40 miles south of SL, all the way to what is now Camp Verde.
Damn! You are old!
:lol:
kingmantraveler

Didn't think it showed. 75th next Saturday!
Planning to walk that trail next year, good lord willin' and the creek don't rise.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Congratulations Mike!
You sure have an impressive vitality... Very inspirational!

I guess you didn't get General Crook's autograph then. ;)
kingmantraveler

Nope. I didn't, Terry. Maybe another time - and place.
He wasn't the perfect general, as the confederates in W. Va. could have testified, but he was competent, and somewhat of a character. Always rode a mule. He said the mule is more intelligent and sure-footed than the horse.
John Bourke, his aide, was reassigned from a Texas post to Crook's command, and on his arrival at Camp Grant, roomed with another officer who'd found a complete suit of Spanish armor in the sand, east of that site. Fascinating. I don't think the conquistadores wore armor on the Camino, but it is fun to imagine it during a trip on that highway.
Sorry for rambling.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

They probably started out wearing armor, until they realized the heat was more dangerous than the locals.
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

Thank you for the replies. We will make a stop in Seligman to spend the night, eat, and of course sleep before heading to Pinetop the following day. Lots to do and see, looking forward to this road trip. I know I will learn much more about the region upon our arrival. I always research and not afraid of asking questions. Thanks again---Mike C. Brea, Ca.