UFO IN THE DESERT SKY

LDMGOLD
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

UFO IN THE DESERT SKY

Post by LDMGOLD »

We were out watching the meteor shower last night (08.14.10) (2300) when we spotted a bright round object in the eastern sky about 24 degree above the horizon. I told my wife it was probably a huge weather balloon of some kind. Does any know for sure what it was? Sorry, I have no photograph of it. The object was in the sky all evening and continued to rise very slowly.

Tom K.
reptilist

Re: UFO IN THE DESERT SKY

Post by reptilist »

Swamp gas fo' sho'.
8-)
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

Whatever it was it never made it's way to Utah.
Do they still use weather balloons in this computerized, satellite driven world?
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

LDMGOLD wrote:We were out watching the meteor shower last night (08.14.10) (2300) when we spotted a bright round object in the eastern sky about 24 degree above the horizon. I told my wife it was probably a huge weather balloon of some kind. Does any know for sure what it was? Sorry, I have no photograph of it. The object was in the sky all evening and continued to rise very slowly.

Tom K.

Tom,

Doris and I were out looking at the sky the other night (not exactly sure which night), but we observed the exact same thing. It was round like a balloon and appeared on the Eastern sky just as you described. At first it appeared to be stationary, but the longer we watched it... The more it became obvious that it WAS slowly rising.

Fortunately my camera was in my truck only a few feet away, so I was able to get a photo of it!

The strange thing was… From our viewpoint it appeared to be right over the Superstitions!

Is this what you saw?

Scroll down...

(Sorry... I couldn’t resist) :lol:
desert wanderer

Post by desert wanderer »

Jim, THAT was funny! Shame on you though,LOL! Rick
desert wanderer

Post by desert wanderer »

yuccahead wrote:Whatever it was it never made it's way to Utah.
Do they still use weather balloons in this computerized, satellite driven world?
Yuccahead, Indeed they DO still use weather balloons!
bucky

Post by bucky »

Yep, they still launch rawinsonde balloons every 12 hours at the designated sites. In addition, several sites also launch the really big, very high altitude balloons to carry near-space payloads. White Sands, and a site near Palestine in TX are the big sources of these.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

I am quite certain it was a weather balloon of some kind. I was out there last night and it wasn't in the sky. I have been taking the dog to look at Cottontail rabbits. It is funny to watch him try to spot a Cottontail along the road. I don't know what he would do if he could chase one. Actually I doubt he would leave us far enough to chase one. This big old Yellow Lab is a real home body. He found a rattlesnake the other night and wouldn't get within fifteen feet of it. He barked and that was all.

Thanks and take care,

Tom K.
yuccahead

Post by yuccahead »

desert wanderer wrote:
yuccahead wrote:Whatever it was it never made it's way to Utah.
Yuccahead, Indeed they DO still use weather balloons!
Interesting, thanks desert wanderer, I would've bet someone elses paycheck that they were dinosaurs by now.
luzagodom

Post by luzagodom »

That is funny,I like