Shoe Tree Destroyed

lara
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Shoe Tree Destroyed

Post by lara »

historik951 wrote:I thought the story had a great ending to it... A husband and wife argue after JUST being married, the wife says she's leaving, and the husband says you'll have to go barefoot and throws her shoes in the tree ( 1980's ). Goes to the bar and the bartender convinces the husband to go back to his wife and apologize...... One year later they come back with their newborn child and threw the child's shoes into the tree as well.... I can remember being in the Army back in the mid to late 70's and it was tradition to throw a set of one's boots into the trees when your time was up... Graffiti is wrong, but this seems a bit harmless to me... It's just a shame that someone had to cut it down, even the people in town were very upset. People came to see the tree and that brought business... and now this will cause people financial burden...

Historik951
from what i understand, dozens of shoes hanging on a tree can damage it, break branches and limbs and eventually destroy the tree. that is what happened to the one on route 66 near amboy. and it was a lovely old palo verde, planted in the early days of the road.

on 62 near rice, the shoe tree was more or less destroyed and so a shoe/underwear fence was created. as well as some other interesting "things" like a large heart made from nails found on the abandoned property. i am not sure if i see this stuff as temporary environmental art or simply trash. i suppose it can be both until it is cleaned up.

historik951

Post by historik951 »

Hi Lara,
I understand your concern, but it would take a lot of shoes before any damage could be caused. I have seen upwards of 300 pairs of shoes in a single tree without anything bad happening. To some it may be regarded as something " unsightly ", but to others the meanings behind the shoes outweighs the look. And in this case, the tree became a tourist attraction which means now business' will lose money... I have been to the " shoe fence " on the 62, but what I find more interesting, is the crumbling foundation with a plaque on it that most people know nothing about. The plaque reads " House of Koop July 10 1794 " and there is absolutely nothing on it at all ( here is a link for the plaque- http://www.flickr.com/photos/caveman_92223/4062498669/ ). I mean more people take pictures of the shoe fence while the real history is being ignored... To me ignoring history is a bigger travesty than any shoe tree/fence could ever bring....

Just my thoughts....
Historik951
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Space Cowboy »

Historik,

How close to Rice?

The wording reminds me of a place and a sign along S-2 in Earthquake Valley, commemorating the establishment of a bordello in the valley for weary travelers. Lack of patrons and workers ended the effort. In 'The Last Days of the Late Great State of California', author Curt Gentry mentions a group putting up a bronze plaque in San Francisco to memorialize the long-gone Red Light District and its historical significance. It featured doves in the plaque. Soiled, I assume.
lara

Post by lara »

historik951 wrote:...The plaque reads " House of Koop July 10 1794 " and there is absolutely nothing on it at all ( here is a link for the plaque- http://www.flickr.com/photos/caveman_92223/4062498669/ ). I mean more people take pictures of the shoe fence while the real history is being ignored... To me ignoring history is a bigger travesty than any shoe tree/fence could ever bring....

Just my thoughts....
Historik951
i wondered all around the area and didn't see anything like what you linked to.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Having now seen the shoe tree pics, I have to say that the tree would look a darned sight better without all that. Looks third world to me.
gordon

Post by gordon »

I am with Reptilist on this one. Although it is a shame the tree itself was cut down over all the loss is not something I would lose sleep over.
Digitally

Post by Digitally »

It is disappointing when people have to ruin a local landmark - especially one with such a cool history! Hope people will at least come admire the stump. ;)
GeorgeW

Post by GeorgeW »

I've picked up a lot of trash on my hikes in the wilderness. I don't find the pictures of the tree attractive but perhaps someone who did appreciate it could volunteer a tree in their front yard as a replacement.
Guz

Post by Guz »

LOL :lol: And its not just trees that seem to attract shoes http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1548
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

Nice one, GeorgeW. I know what you mean about a lot of trash in the Wilderness. You know what I'm seeing a lot of lately? Mylar balloons. They seem to be everywhere. They pay no attention to the Wilderness signs and just float right in there, only to get snagged by a bush where they flutter in the wind for the next hundred years or however long it takes for the stuff to break down.

Lee