What are your desert goals this summer?

Apache Devil

What are your desert goals this summer?

Post by Apache Devil »

What are y'all going to do this summer? I am going to make this the best desert summer I have ever had. I bought a new camcorder and hope to post much better videos than the previous ones I have put on Youtube.

Last year I took four weekend journeys to a region in Nevada just below the Oregon border that proved to be one of the most fascinating desert areas I have ever explored. This year I intend to follow up on that and also go beyond down into the American southwest.

I have a splendid tripod made for a 35 mm camera. I was bemoaning the fact that there is no way to hook my camcorder up to it, then I made the revelation that I have an entire damned coffee can full of rubberbands. Ha ha ha. Problem solved.

Among other ideas I have, there is a small pond where no pond should be in the middle of the dry Guano Valley, east of Lakeview, Oregon. This pond is year-round, so it is obviously fed by a spring. Last year I visited it a couple of times and was astounded by the amount of life there. This year I am going to set the tripod up with the camcorder and just record about two hours of video with the camera focused on some small area of the pond along the sandy shore while I go hiking in the vicinity. Hopefully I will get some good shots of the small folk of the area visiting the water.
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: What are your desert goals this summer?

Post by reptilist »

Same as always: Find bigfoot!
shining sun

Post by shining sun »

To get there, preferably to stay!!
Desertroad

Post by Desertroad »

To get my truck workin' right...to throw a couple of Igloo ice chests in the back with some consumable solids and liquids and hit the highway until I find a dirt road somewhere that I've never noticed before. I want to drive slowly, wander for days. Gaze at the sky all night long and take quiet morning hikes among rocky foothills. Sleep when it's hot, like the lizards do, and sit in my beach chair watching the sun set every evening.

All this all by my lonesome. Sorry, wife and family, but Dad needs his headspace.

I just looked out the window at my truck...sometimes, freedom is just knowing that it's there...

Desertroad
DesertWRX
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by DesertWRX »

Hopefully I can finish my fiberglass buggy project and take it out to explore our neighborhood (Anza-Borrego). If not, I can go out in the one that runs!
CowboySlim
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by CowboySlim »

Desertroad wrote:.... freedom is just ...

Desertroad
another word for nothing left to lose....

Well, reminds me of a song that I heard. :)
Desertroad

Post by Desertroad »

:)
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Well, if we're asking specifically about desert goals, the biggest goal I have is to get out as much as possible and do as much herpin' as time (and money) allows...

Along those lines, I really want to focus on hitting the various mountains ranges in western/central Az where Crotalus mitchelli pyrrhus ( the southwestern speckled rattlesnake) occurs and get photos from each locale. They are probably the single most variable crotalid, with different populations being red, blue, orange, pink, brown, tan, peach, etc. etc. etc....a fascinating animal, and one of my favorites.

-Kris
gollum

Post by gollum »

Gonna find a camera I lost a year ago in Anza Borrego! LOL I always carry two, and that one was my backup. Carried it in an outside pocket on my ruck. That's why I didn't notice when it fell out. Based on where I hiked, it could be somewhere deep in the Badlands (Rainbow or Hills of the Moon Washes, or several places outside BL). Didn't notice till I got home.

Mike
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

My goal is to discover and document more Amerind glyphs in my hood.