Help with id of a few items from Anza Borrego

Clifford
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Help with id of a few items from Anza Borrego

Post by Clifford »

Hey folks-
Spent the weekend in Anza Borrego and came across a few things I would like help in identifying.

1- clay like deposit crumbled out of a hillside at the bottom of a wash in Fish Creek- white crystals- Gypsum?
2- next is a really interesting rock that is knob shaped- looks like sandstone- made by hand?

Any info appreciated!

Clifford
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
roc2rol

Re: Help with id of a few items from Anza Borrego

Post by roc2rol »

Ya got the eye! Clifford
Fabulous pictures and wonderful finds!!

I think your right on the Gypsum crystals
Or some form of Selenite.
A great specimen !

The knob? ! Wow !
I’ve never seen anything that shape
Natural? Its fabulous
Man made mold?
Who knows?

Hopefully others will have more insight

Thanks for posting!!

Ed
Clifford

Post by Clifford »

Thanks Ed. I wish I had a picture of the overall spot where the crystals were. There was a clear patch of darker and denser material that crumbled and those crystals were everywhere- just forming right out of the material itself.

C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Clifford,

If you were able to collect some small specimens of the crystals and would like me to try to figure out what they are for you, let me know.

I work in a chemical laboratory and have access to a number of analytical instruments that might help identify it for you.

It wouldn't cost you anything and I don't need more than a few grams of sample. No guarantees that I'll be able to identify them for certain as we're not a geological laboratory, but I'd be happy to give it a try.

Send me an e-mail (paulshimek@comcast.net) if you are interested and we can discuss.

As far as the rounded rock object, it sure looks man made to me, but who knows - either way it's pretty neat looking.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Those selenite crystalls can be found all over that side of the supes. Geronimo head,Tortilla flatts area and tortilla mountain. The other rock I have seen many in the bottom of tortilla creek. If you cut it open it will be quartz inside probablly white quartz. They are really cool when you find them with two balls connected togather. Hope that helps.

Best Kurt Painter
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

I have seen many of those "knobs" in Sandstone Canyon. Natural they are---some of them look like barbells if not broken; really strange and cool. I believe that is what Silent Hunter was describing. They always seem to be heavy for sandstone making me think SH is correct about possible quartz in the center. There is a name for these knobs---but it escapes me. Have fun, Mike C. Brea,Ca.
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

barbells with quartz centers ?
very strange
some sort of lightening strike phenomon?
roc
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

It took me a while to find out what that unknown piece is. It is a CONCRETION that formed when water was ounce abundant. They are actually "wrapped around" objects which are most commonly various rocks. The barbell shaped pieces are often held together with "twigs" representing the two round "pebble" ends. Please do a search on CONCRETION and Wikipedia even covers it. Makes me wonder though,are those wind caves actually large concretions? Keep on rock'n! Mike C. Brea, Ca.
historik951

Post by historik951 »

The " knob " is commonly know as a sand spike, your picture shows the top end. If it was complete, the other side would come to a point. Here is a link with a picture of one of the biggest ones ever found....

http://homepage.mac.com/studioarchives/ ... elli2.html

H
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

That really intersting H
thanks for posting !

and to all of you
who have contributed !

DUSA Members ROCK !