7 best SoCal desert locations for night sky viewing

Jim_b
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

7 best SoCal desert locations for night sky viewing

Post by Jim_b »

A road trip away from a city's bright lights on a clear night will be a treat for anyone who looks up to the skies. Here in Southern California, we're especially lucky to live in a place with some of the best night sky viewing in the continental United States. You just have to venture at least 100 miles away from Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Here are 7 spots in our local deserts that offer brilliant views:

Click here for list

http://www.ca.blm.gov/yx5c
Stanley

Re: 7 best SoCal desert locations for night sky viewing

Post by Stanley »

The Cottonwood campground at JTNP is a great place to star gaze. The only thing I can say about the night sky folks is that they are a little "territorial" and have there own little clique at Cottonwood. Try it out. It is a dark place and the truck stop in the link does not affect anything at all.

Stanley
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

Another place I found to be outstanding is Fossil Falls in Ca. off Hwy 395. Very peaceful and a good place to explore during the day. Mike C. Brea,Ca.
desert wanderer
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by desert wanderer »

Jim_b wrote:A road trip away from a city's bright lights on a clear night will be a treat for anyone who looks up to the skies. Here in Southern California, we're especially lucky to live in a place with some of the best night sky viewing in the continental United States. You just have to venture at least 100 miles away from Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Here are 7 spots in our local deserts that offer brilliant views:

Click here for list

http://www.ca.blm.gov/yx5c
Thanks for the links, Jim. Before I moved to Arizona 8 years ago, I lived in southern California for 31 years. The darkest night sky I have ever encountered, was in the area just south of Cerro Gordo peak, in the Inyo Mountains. There are no big cities anywhere near that area, thus, VERY little light pollution! My camp is at approximately 6,900ft elevation. This area is above Saline Valley.