Materials for clothing that rattlesnakes can't bite through

Kyle Richards
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Materials for clothing that rattlesnakes can't bite through

Post by Kyle Richards »

I've been looking into snake boots and gaiters for desert travel, but it seems that most of the boots I find look pretty insulated, more for forest or swamp travel, and most of the gaiters just look pretty tacky/lame for the high prices. So I'm thinking of fashioning something myself, what's a good material to use that snakes won't be able to puncture?
reptilist

Re: Materials for clothing that rattlesnakes can't bite thro

Post by reptilist »

In most cases leather boots in good condition are sufficient protection, particularly when you couple that with some light weight kevlar snake chaps. Steel toed boots even more so...

You''ll find being well shod to be infinitely more practical in regard to cactus spines than rattlesnake fangs.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Rep posted:
You''ll find being well shod to be infinitely more practical in regard to cactus spines than rattlesnake fangs.
I agree with Rep..

I fear cholla more than any BuzzTail.

TradClimber
Kyle Richards

Post by Kyle Richards »

Good call! I was watching something recently, one of those survivorman shows I'm thinking, and the cacti seemed to give them quite a few awful people, which I'd like to avoid. As well as deadly snake bites of course...
bucky

Post by bucky »

I'd been in Arizona two days when I first became a victim of the cholla. That was the last time I ever stepped off of a sidewalk without boots. Using pliers to pull spines out of one's ankle will have that sort of effect......
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

To be sure, most visitors to the desert have the misconception that rattlesnakes are everywhere. But, that is not the case. They can be anywhere, but they are not everywhere. A little common sense goes a long ways to avoiding places that snakes may be hiding. First rule of being in the desert: Never put your hands or feet where you can't see them.
A walking stick is a very useful tool for prodding the unknown terrain on the trail ahead.
Steel toed leather work boots in good condition with hard rubber soles are what you want for walking in the desert.
Kevlar fabric snake chaps are optional.
I have used the $20 hard plastic wrap around chaps but they start to chaff the back of the knee after awhile. I suppose some modification would fix that... Truth is, I seldom need chaps, but there are times that I'd prefer it... Tall grass, thick leaf litter. In the desert you can usually see the ground, so whenever I can't, I get more cautious.
Another super cheap set of chaps are several layers of newspaper wrapped and tied around the lower legs.
Kyle Richards

Post by Kyle Richards »

Great info Reptilist, thanks!
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Rep posted:
First rule of being in the desert: Never put your hands or feet where you can't see them.
Hey Kyle, don't let Rep josh you. He's a great kidder! Most everbody knows that is the second rule.

The first rule is: Bring enough beer.

But seriously, even if it is the second rule – one would be well served following that rule, as much as possible.

TradClimber

PS: Kyle, hope you have a safe and great time playing in the desert.
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

I always wear long pants and hiking shoes in the desert, but other than that I do not worry about it. I have been walking through rattlesnake-infested lands for many years now and have never stepped on a snake or had one strike at me unless I messed with it.

These animals are not looking for trouble and are more than happy to leave you alone as long as you return the favor. When walking around the desert in daytime, keep an eye out for shaded places as this is where snakes are likely to be. You know the rest of the drill. Do not put your hands, feet, butt, whatever, in any place you have not looked at first.
Clifford

Post by Clifford »

I have been hiking in Asics gel soled tennis shoes for almost 20 years. I read Ray Jardine's book on hiking the PCT and switched from leather hiking boots and never looked back. I do worry on rare occasions but it seems every time a rattlesnake is near it buzzes me and my limbic system freezes my body well before I am close enough to get struck. In any event I have thought of getting a simple durable light weight walking stick especially when in brush and such. I always have my suction based snake bite kit but have not the slightest idea if any snake bite kit can really do much at all. Keeps it interesting, esp as I am solo 99% of the time.
I get a chuckle out of the comments on cholla and such, I whole-heartedly agree- far more likely to "bite" you!
C