9TH. ANNUAL DUTCH HUNTER'S RENDEZVOUS

Moderator: Jim_b

Somero
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

9TH. ANNUAL DUTCH HUNTER'S RENDEZVOUS

Post by Somero »

The 9th annual Dutch Hunters Rendezvous will take place October 25th,26th & 27th 2013 at the Dons camp located at the Peralta trailhead in the Superstition mountains. This annual event is open to everyone and no reservations are required. Camp areas at the Dons camp are first come/first serve. There is no water in the camp but there are toilet facilities.

The rendezvous has featured such guest speakers as: Thomas Glover, Clay Worst Jack San Felice, Jesse Feldman, Robert Schoose, and Bob Corbin. We have also had the pleasure of sharing our campfire with so many notable Dutch Hunters such as Tom Kollenborn, Jack Carlson, Greg Davis, Richard Robinson, Ron Feldman, Baker Looney, Elizabeth Stewart and Ken and Nancy McCullough.

It is a one of a kind event and has included hikes into the mountains, visits to the historical Quarter Circle U and one of a kind discussions around camp on every and any subject concerning the Superstition mountains.

__________________________________________________ ____

You should bring your own drinks, and a little firewood never hurts. We had more kids and wives last year than ever before. I believe they all enjoyed the weekend.

Wayne, Greg and Randy do us all a great service by setting this event up every year. Make your plans now, and don't miss out on the Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous.......again.

The gate for the Don's Camp will be open Friday morning for early arrivals. There is plenty of room to set up your camp, close to others or a bit farther away if you're so inclined.

Hope to see more wives and kids this year, as it's a good family outing. .

East on 60 to Peralta Rd. Left on paved......it turns into hard packed dirt. There will be signs at the Don's Camp entrance,(it's a left turn) but if you get to Peralta Trailhead, you have gone too far. Once you turn off Peralta Rd. come in a little ways and look to your right. The gate to the camp will be uphill from you.

Closer map:

You will need to bring drinks and some meals. More info. on that later.

I'll try to update this as information become available.

Thanks

Eric
alan m

Re: 9TH. ANNUAL DUTCH HUNTER'S RENDEZVOUS

Post by alan m »

Hey Eric
I'm going to make it this year come hell or high water
See you then
Alan
Somero

Post by Somero »

Hey Alan

I'm not sure about going this year after the debacle on that other forum, guess I don't play well with others :twisted:

Travis did you get the boot also?
alan m

Post by alan m »

Eric
The other forum is nothing but an advertising platform where they want all of us to play together nicely
Any idea or opinion that foes not conform to the above premise is unwanted
You are better off here
I do hope to see you at the rendezvous
Best
Alan
AshtonPage

Post by AshtonPage »

Guys,

At the rendezvous there are two main groups of people (quite literally). Aptly named; the upper camp and the lower camp. So if you don’t want to hang with the people from a certain group, then just walk on over to the other camp. If somebody tweaked you on another forum, you don’t have to deal with them at the rendezvous.

Having said that, it’s only right to give credit where credit is due – so I will say that I was treated with the utmost respect and greeted with a warm welcome from everybody (even you-know-who) at the rendezvous last year. I’m saying that if you can come, I would encourage you to do so. Don’t let someone else cheat you out of a great experience and the chance to meet some great people. Where else are you going to get the opportunity to sit around and shoot the breeze with folks like Tom Kollenborn, Clay Worst, Dr. Thomas Glover, Bob Corbin, Greg Davis (I’m sure that I forgot somebody – it’s not intentional…. it’s late). Plus you’ll meet the people from the forums that you exchanged words with ……..errrr, that didn’t sound right…….. I mean all the people you had friendly conversations with on the forums.

My only regret at the 2012 rendezvous was that I took off into the hills on Sunday and that caused me to miss a couple folks I wanted to meet (they didn’t make it to the rendezvous until Sunday). This year, I’ll stick around all three days and hopefully get a chance to meet them.

My advice is not to let anyone run you off from chasing your dream. And if you see me at the rendezvous, please introduce yourself.

Best,
Ashton
Matthew Roberts

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Ashton, Alan, Eric,

Yes, by all means don't let anyone intimidate you into missing out on the Rendezvous. The upper and lower camp divide works out great. It's like the grown up table and the children's table at a big gathering. You can hang out at whichever one you feel most comfortable with. I always camp in the upper camp with Clay, Greg Davis, Jack Carlson, Roger, Peter and a host of other knowledgeable and FRIENDLY dutch hunters. Hope you decide to come and join in with everyone this year, at both tables.

Don't let the TreasureNet forum get you down, there are some ( a few ) VERY knowledgeable and serious members over there and every once in a while, not very often but once in a great while, they are almost allowed to carry on a civil and respectful discussion with each other.

The trouble with the forum is a few members try to dominate and intimidate the forum, attempting to derail every thread not about themselves and turn it into their own private Facebook social network page. They have no respect for other members who want to carry on serious and respectful discussions of the topics.

Occasionally, ( very rarely) one of them will post something so off topic, so disrespectful, disgusting and false their post will be deleted. Most of the time it's just the same people over and over, trolling and flaming and attempting to hijack someone elses thread and start a fight . You just have to ignore them, they are little children, not serious dutch hunters. Just stay on topic and focus on the members who actually want to contribute and learn in a respectful and thoughtful manner.

My private message box is always full of members who PM me about posts I make but are afraid to post on forum because they don't want to get attacked or into a fight with some forum bully trying to be King of the hill. I converse with about a dozen members who have never posted on line but want to seriously talk about the topic subjects. Some of the best conversations and discussions I have is off line after receiving other members PM's.

Hope to see you all at the October Rendezvous.

Matthew
alan m

Post by alan m »

Matthew
Thank you for the post of encouragement
I will make a point of looking you up at the rendezvous
Looking forward to some interesting conversation
Best regards
Alan
Matthew Roberts

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Ashton

Received an email thursday regarding a new Lost Mine, Treasure website is in the making.

Two of the people involved I am acquainted with, the other I have not met. The website is being put together and is to include (Arizona) Treasure, Lost Mine, Cache, Metal Detecting, Prospecting, Historical, etc. It will stick closely to the Arizona area according to the email.

Don't know much about it yet other than it is supposed to be up and running sometime in the November-December-January time frame. Something like the website Peter had for a couple years only this one will have some funding behind it. It doesn't sound like there will be advertising on it but I could be wrong about that. It did say something about book sales or a book listing along the Treasure and Lost Mine catagory. I should know more at the Rendezvous as one of the people usually attends. Good news for the serious enthusiasts. !

Matthew
Somero

Post by Somero »

I'll do my best to make it, although instead of upper or lower I'll hang out somewhere in the middle :D
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Hope to see everyone at the Rendezvous. It's a conglomeration of many theories, experiences and history, and, no matter which "camp" you are in - (and you should visit both), there are folks there that can enrich your own searches, instill a little creativity and certainly, entice the adventurer spirit in everyone - even when folks don't agree. You don't have to swallow hook line and sinker of everyone who talks, to enjoy the company of the folks that attend the Rendezvous.

Mr. Roberts, you might do a little better than to "set-up" an antagonistic attitude about the different camps, because MOST of the folks in the upper and lower camps, do come visit each other during the event. For those who have been - you have seen this. For those who have not - travel back and forth between the camps happens constantly. (for most folks), and it doesn't ever have to be one camp against the other. If you let that happen, you only miss out on some great stories and conversation. Plus, both camps get together during the "main events" - which is on Saturday at the ramada - it is a great time to be had by all.

If there is a little "air of supposed hostility", it only affects those that know what the basis of it is about, and doesn't affect anyone that is attending the event, if you don't let it.

Nobody, that I have seen, is going to treat you like you are on a forum. All are welcome, and any long standing disagreements, if any, stay outside the gates.

What I have taken away from the Rendezvous, is meeting folks I have talked to on forums - and finding out that, quite often, my pre-conceived notion of who and what they are, are NOT correct.
One thing you will certainly find out - what someone sounds like when they are typing a sentence or message, can be far different than how they really are. It certainly will make you realize just how much we depend on tone, body language, etc., to understand what people say. So, don't let what happens on forums - any of them - deter you from attending a great event.

I will re-iterate what was already said - bring your food and water - of course, town is just a hop, skip and a jump from the Don's camp, a flashlight so you can maneuver to the bathrooms at night (conversation has been known to continue to 4 am), and, of course, wood is always welcome - the area is picked pretty clean. :D

There is usually some type of planned hike also - up Cardiac, the Quarter Circle, etc., which some will find quite interested in attending.

On one other note: There have been some great folks there - like Baker Looney (the last man in the McGill party, if anyone has read "Killer Mountain" - and we have already lost some long time hunters, so, don't let another year go by without giving yourself the opportunity to meet folks like Bob Corbin, Clay Worst, Tom Kollenborn, and others. It's worth your vacation time, I guarantee.

Mrs.O