Walking Through the desert

Moderator: Jim_b

wanderer86
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Walking Through the desert

Post by wanderer86 »

I plan on walking from austin, Texas, to Medford, Oregon, in the fall/spring of 2012/2013. I joined this forum because a great portion of my trip will take place through the desert. I need to learn as much as I can before I go because I know this trip will be a strenuous one. Does anyone have any books/advice/websites so that I can get started on my preparations for this trip.
Plays In The Dirt

Re: Walking Through the desert

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

wanderer86 wrote:I plan on walking from austin, Texas, to Medford, Oregon, in the fall/spring of 2012/2013. I joined this forum because a great portion of my trip will take place through the desert. I need to learn as much as I can before I go because I know this trip will be a strenuous one. Does anyone have any books/advice/websites so that I can get started on my preparations for this trip.
Welcome to the website/forum wanderer. I don't know of any particular books but getting one on desert survival would be a good place to start. Have you looked through the web site here? Have you mapped-out a route yet. Do you plan on staying on existing roadways or are you cutting across the desert? Will you have a support vehicle following you?

Please let us know what you've got planned so far and I'm sure many others will chime-in with advice. As far as websites go, you've reached a good one right here.
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Wanderer, I got to looking around the website here and found a few books you may want to check-out:

http://www.desertusa.com/web_cart/db/pages/5042.html
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

You probably ought to use existing trails so you don't have to contend with private property.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Perhaps some of the folks on here can offer you a shower and a cot for the night as you're passing thru.
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

That's going to be some trek. Are you planning this as an offroad backpack? Or are you walking highways with a support vehicle? The desert in the fall or winter won't be nearly as brutal as the mountains you're going to have to cross. Do you have a tentative route in mind yet?
Do you walk a lot now? I'd start walking with a similar weight that you plan to carry and build up to 5 then 10 then 15 miles a day and get an idea of what you're thinking about asking your body to do.
Colin Fletcher is always good reading for long hikes.
Good luck with the planning.
wanderer86

Post by wanderer86 »

Plays In The Dirt wrote:
wanderer86 wrote:I plan on walking from austin, Texas, to Medford, Oregon, in the fall/spring of 2012/2013. I joined this forum because a great portion of my trip will take place through the desert. I need to learn as much as I can before I go because I know this trip will be a strenuous one. Does anyone have any books/advice/websites so that I can get started on my preparations for this trip.
Welcome to the website/forum wanderer. I don't know of any particular books but getting one on desert survival would be a good place to start. Have you looked through the web site here? Have you mapped-out a route yet. Do you plan on staying on existing roadways or are you cutting across the desert? Will you have a support vehicle following you?

Please let us know what you've got planned so far and I'm sure many others will chime-in with advice. As far as websites go, you've reached a good one right here.
I have looked on this website and I am still looking for more for now.

I plan on walking across existing roadways, however I am trying to avoid all major highways. I will not have a support vehicle following me.
wanderer86

Post by wanderer86 »

yuccahead wrote:That's going to be some trek. Are you planning this as an offroad backpack? Or are you walking highways with a support vehicle? The desert in the fall or winter won't be nearly as brutal as the mountains you're going to have to cross. Do you have a tentative route in mind yet?
Do you walk a lot now? I'd start walking with a similar weight that you plan to carry and build up to 5 then 10 then 15 miles a day and get an idea of what you're thinking about asking your body to do.
Colin Fletcher is always good reading for long hikes.
Good luck with the planning.
My path will be along roadways but avoiding major highways.

I work in a warehouse so I am on my feet 12 hours a day and constantly lifting heaving objects. My back is strong but I am sure I am getting into a different ballgame with this.
I do not even own a good backpack now. Right now I use one an old military pack a neighbor gave me, and it offers enough space but it is heavy and has no real support for your back.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Wanderer: You got some good advice above. Let me add some. Get a good top of the line backpack or it'll kill you trying to carry it. Carry a lot of nuts, and honey. They make trail mix for when you don't have anything else to eat and they are good for you. Check for places to get water, because you won't be able to carry enough, this is really important! You will have an experience that's unbelieveable if you plan carefully for it. The nuts and honey is a must have...

Don....
wanderer86

Post by wanderer86 »

Desert Cruiser wrote:Wanderer: You got some good advice above. Let me add some. Get a good top of the line backpack or it'll kill you trying to carry it. Carry a lot of nuts, and honey. They make trail mix for when you don't have anything else to eat and they are good for you. Check for places to get water, because you won't be able to carry enough, this is really important! You will have an experience that's unbelieveable if you plan carefully for it. The nuts and honey is a must have...

Don....
Thanks for the advice.

Water is one of my main concerns both drinking water and flash floods.