Don't know what to do but need to vent

Allen
The middle number please (4): 7

Don't know what to do but need to vent

Post by Allen »

A few of you that know me, understand how protective I am of my family and those close to heart, so please understand as I tell you about a horrid event that struck very close to home yesterday and my difficulty in coming to terms with it. My son Zack and his Fiancée just purchased a home and moved into it this past weekend. As usual, Zack left for work at the Lockheed Skunkworks Plant about 5:00am yesterday morning. My wife and I hadn't left yet to go back up to our house in Mammoth so he called me at about 11:00am and asked that I drive over to check on Samantha because he couldn't reach her and she didn’t show up for work. I got there about 20 minutes later and found her car in the driveway, which raised some real concerns. With weapon in hand, I checked the outside of the house first then went inside and went upstairs where I found her lying on the bathroom floor in a pool of blood. Her mother, who is a RN at St. Marys, showed up about 5 minutes after me and the Paramedics within a few minutes after that. To make a long story short, some piece of crap thing broke into the house and struck her twice in the head with a ball peen hammer and after all of this, all he took was her cell phone. She was flown to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center Trauma unit and after a CT Scan was rushed into surgery. She has a right side skull fracture where bone fragments entered her brain and a fracture in her forehead that penetrated the sinus cavity. All bone was so badly shattered that it had to be replaced with titanium plates. She is currently in a drug induced coma and on a ventilator. The assessment will begin today as they hope to be able to wean her off the medications and let her wake up slowly and breathe on her own, but that is just one small beginning step in her recovery. We all hope that brain swelling doesn’t become an issue and will know more about this within the next day or two. One positive thing I can say is that as she was being loaded into the Helicopter, I held her hand and talked to her and she responded to my voice by gripping one of my fingers. I hope this is a positive sign that things will turn out ok, but I can only hope for that right now. She is beautiful 23 year old lady and we are all at a loss for why this happened and what the motive could have been. There have been Detectives crawling all over the house since about noon and they were still there at 9:00pm. At that time, my son wasn’t allowed into the house to retrieve some fresh clothes nor was he allowed to take his truck. I take this as a sign that they are doing a very thorough job as I would expect from them.
Those who know my retired past, should be able to understand that I still need to deal with this in a professional manner. I have seen many horrific drug related crime scenes but it's totally different when an unprovoked assault such as this, happens so close to the heart. I am fighting back my my desire to react to this in a unprofessional manner but I am hoping they find the scum that did this. If the wheels of justice don’t work well enough for me, I fear that I will find a time, a method or what ever it takes to exact revenge on this guy without concern for my future. There is no suspect yet, I just hope I can resist those urges. Thanks for letting me vent this.

Dan

Re: Don't know what to do but need to vent

Post by Dan »

Allen,
I am so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you and your family. I don't know what to say except this could be any one of us in this position. I would likely feel the same as you, and your thoughts are what any normal person would likely feel. If there is anything my family can do to help in this situation, please say so here. I'll be happy to do whatever it is.

I'm sure it's excruciatingly difficult to keep the professional attitude when it's family involved. Just think of Zack and Samantha, and what's best for them. And catch that ba$+@rd and prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law.

She is in our prayers.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I'm really sorry to hear that Allen. Hopefully the person responsible, will be foolish enough to use her cell phone to call a bunch of their friends! If so, It shouldn't take long to track them down. Let's hope!

Jim
EZRider

Post by EZRider »

Allen, words cannot express how shocking it is to read of this absolute tragedy, much less to experience it in one's family.

I pray that Samantha will make a full recovery and that she and Zack can resume course for the bright future they had anticipated. Samantha, Zack, you and your family are in our hearts on this sad occasion, and may God give her a speedy recovery.

EZ
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by reptilist »

Oh Allen!
That is a terrible thing to happen.
My sympathies to you and your family!
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

I shall put the young lady on my prayer list, and may God be with her.That you can be sure off. Please keep us posted. I would bet that who or what ever did this, left some clues behind. Pure Evil. Rest assured they will be caught.
Ken@WonderValley

Post by Ken@WonderValley »

Allen I just said a prayer for Samantha. You should find the guy who is probably a local and show him nicely to the police station.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Allen,

I am so sorry to hear about this horiffic tragedy. This is just plain awful.

Brain injuries take a long tome to heal and I am praying for a positve outcome for your daughter. Take things one day at a time and pray for the best.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Thank you all for your kind words. We have now been given clearance to go into the house, so my wife and I are going to get Zack some clothes and his truck so he can get around. He's staying down near the hospital so he can be close. I have some very good San Bernardino County Firefighter friends that offered to clean up the mess left behind at the house so we don't have to deal with it and most of all my son won't see it. They are some great guys and two of them were responders yesterday. God bless them for doing this.
Sandman, I do hope ARMC is as good a facility as I have heard. I was hoping for Loma Linda but they weren't next on the rotation that they use for Trauma patients. Do you have any input regarding the quality of care there?
I no longer take the Victor Valley Daily Press so if any of you that do get the paper see an article about this, please let me know so I can look it up on their website.

Thanks!
Last edited by Allen on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

OMG Allen, I'm so very sorry for your Son and His wife, and of course you and the rest of the family. I left early this morning and just got home and read your post, how tragic! Having witnessed my fair share of crime scenes I can only imagine how you felt, and I definitely know how your are feeling right now. I pray for your daughter-in-law's speedy recovery, and let's all pray that she has no lasting effects from her injuries. I know that she knows none of us, but if you ever come-up with an address I'm sure all of us would send her a card. Please keep us posted.

I won't even go into my thoughts about the bad-guy.