Fossil Finding, Collecting and Viewing
Finding fossils is an exciting and educational activity. Many areas of the desert were once seabeds or swampy basins. Be sure to check local regulations about fossil collecting, which is often prohibited. If collecting is not allowed, take a camera and shoot plenty of photos but leave the fossils behind for future generations.
Introduce yourself to fossil collecting, read our selection of articles:
- Finding Fossilized Insects in the Mojave
- Searching for Ancient Seashells in the Desert
- Bone Collections - Dinosaur Triangle in Western Colorado Rich in Fossils
- A Visit to Fossil Canyon and Painted Gorge
- Road Trip: Fossil Hunting in the Yuha Basin
- Dinosaurs and the Desert
- Desert Dinosaur Hunting Grounds
- Hunting Dinosaurs in the Desert
- Fossil Falls
- Cleveland-Lloyd Dinosaur Quarry
- Tucson Gem and Mineral Show (show features fossils as well)
- Concretions (Concretions occur when a considerable amount of cementing material precipitates locally around a nucleus, often organic, such as a leaf, tooth, piece of shell or fossil.)
- Dinosaur National Monument
- Petrified Forest National Park
- Florissant Fossil Beds
- Bisti Badlands
- DesertUSA Forums: Working with Fossils
Share this page on Facebook:
DesertUSA Newsletter -- We send articles on hiking, camping and places to explore, as well as animals, wildflower reports, plant information and much more. Sign up below or read more about the DesertUSA newsletter here. (It's Free.)
Fish Creek Wash Anza Borrego Desert is an easy 4WD route that passes through Split Mountain, winding through a gorge between the Vallecito and Fish Creek Mountains. View this area, including the "anticline," an unusual formation created during an earthquake 5 million years ago, the Elephant Knees mud hill formation, and the sculpted Wind Caves.
The Cosos Range - Little Petroglyph Canyon
The Cosos lie within the confines of China Lake Naval Weapons Center (NWC), the U.S. Navy's largest research and development facility.
More videos .....
- Indian uses of desert plants (article)
- Geronimo: His Own Story
- Wyatt Earp: The Missing Years
- Mojave Road Guide
- DVD Ancient Indian Cultures
of Northern Arizona
- Cds Desert Music