Desert Photography Tips and Tricks
Getting the Perfect Picture
Looking for that perfect light at sunset.
Whether you're buying your first digital camera or want to learn how to use your digital camera, we've got the photography tips and tricks to help you - get that perfect picture. Light is your paint, your camera the brush.
DesertUSA Articles on Photography and Videos
- Desert Photography and Digital Cameras
- Photo Safari at Imperial Sand Dunes
- Desert Lightning - How to Photograph
- Take Your Best Shot - Animal Photography
- Marshal South the Movie
- Photographing Memories of a Trip
- The Last Frontier on Film - Photographing Trona Pinnacles
- How to do Nighttime Photography
- How to get photos of wild animals
- Photographer's View of Antelope Canyon
- Autumn Glimmer: Photographers descend on the craggy Eastern Sierra, hoping for magic light and stunning fall scenery
- Weep Not: Cemetery visitors celebrate life not death (includes photography by Lara Hartley)
Desert Photography Close-up
A Passion for the Rails: Photographing Trains
It's Not a Brand New Bag: I carry a lot of stuff with me when I am on the road. Three bags. I bring everything because I don’t know what I might need if I am out for an extended time.
Sometimes a Notion: In each photographer the spark of creativity is vitally different, each expression unique.
Once Upon A Time:
Creating lasting books of the photos that you like best
Movin' on up (to a digital SLR)
Desert Photography Primer by Chris Wray
SEARCH THIS SITE
Joshua Tree National Park - Black Eagle Mine Road Video - Beginning 6.5 miles north of the Cottonwood Visitor Center, this dead-end dirt road runs along the edge of Pinto Basin, crosses several dry washes, and then winds up through canyons in the Eagle Mountains. The first 9 + miles of the road are within the park boundary. Beyond that point is BLM land. Several old mines are located near this road.
Death Valley - Scotty's Castle Video
Find out how Scotty's Castle came to be, when Albert Johnson met Walter Scott, later known as Death Valley Scotty. Take a tour of the magnificent rooms and see the castle's fantastic furnishings. Hear the organ in the music room as you experience this place of legend first-hand.
Death Valley - Titus Canyon Video
As Titus Canyon Road in Death Valley reaches the foothills, it starts to climb and meander among the sagebrush and red rock outcroppings. The road becomes steeper and narrower as it approaches Red Pass, amply named for its red rocks and dirt. Enjoy the ride!
Click here to see current desert temperatures!