Scorpions: Prevention & Extermination
Keeping your home and yard clean of debris is the first step towards scorpion control. Piles of firewood, boards, loose debris, rocks and other items create a habitat for the scorpion to live and hide.
Pesticides can be used to keep the bug population down in your home and around the perimeter of your foundation. Since scorpions feed on bugs, this will help control and reduce the amount of available food for the scorpion.
Scorpion removal and extermination can be difficult. We recommend hiring a professional extermination service to assist you.
The University of Arizona's Scorpions publication provides the following public service information (see box below):
Scorpions are difficult to control with insecticides alone. Therefore, the first control strategy is to modify the area surrounding a house.
- Remove all trash, logs, boards, stones, bricks and other objects from around the home.
- Keep grass closely mowed near the home. Prune bushes and overhanging tree branches away from the house. Tree branches can provide a path to the roof for scorpions.
- Store garbage containers in a frame that allows them to rest above ground level.
- Never bring firewood inside the house unless it is placed directly on the fire.
- Install weather-stripping around loose fitting doors and windows (including the garage door).
- Plug weep holes in brick veneer homes with steel wool, pieces of nylon scouring pad or small squares of screen wire.
- Caulk around roof eaves, pipes and any other cracks into the home.
- Keep window screens in good repair. Make sure they fit tightly in the window frame.
- Wear protective clothing such as shoes or gloves when working outdoors
- Check shoes, shake out clothing and equipment left outside prior to use.
Tips for Professionals
Wettable powder formulations provide better residual control for crawling pests when applying perimeter sprays.
When using pyrethroids or other insecticides labeled for scorpion control, be sure to use the highest permissible label rate.
When applying pesticides directly onto individual scorpions, apply judiciously. Apply pesticides around the foundation of the building and up to 1 foot above ground level on the exterior walls. Also apply pesticides around doors, window eaves and other potential points of entry. Follow directions on the package for dosage, mixing and application methods.
For more information on control and removal of scorpions - Click Here
The information provided on this web site and by this web site through content provided by Authors or third party providers, and in other sources to which it refers, is PROVIDED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY and should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease.
Information provided at and by DesertUSA is NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL CARE. If you have a medical concern, or suspect you have a health problem you should consult your primary doctor or specialist.
If you cannot agree to this Health and Medical Disclaimer, you are not permitted to use this web site and should exit immediately.
Share this page on Facebook:
DesertUSA Newsletter -- We send articles on hiking, camping and places to explore, as well as animals, wildflower reports, plant information and much more. Sign up below or read more about the DesertUSA newsletter here. (It's Free.)