GENERAL DISCUSSION - Anything related to the LDM

Moderator: Jim_b

jhowlett
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: GENERAL DISCUSSION - Anything related to the LDM

Post by jhowlett » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Does anyone know if Ghost Horse still has descendants living on the San Carlos Reservation, if so what names do they go by? What does anyone know about Ta-neah?
Thanks jeff.

Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:15 pm

Jeff,

Believe it's an Indian turnip.

Can you flesh out your question a bit? What do you know about Ta-neah?

Thanks,

Joe Ribaudo

jhowlett

Post by jhowlett » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks Joe for the reply. In Helen Corbin's book page 202 she talks about an Apache ghost spirit that watches over their sacred places in the Supers. Ghost Horse before his death remarked about Ta-neah the ghost spirit who watches over kunh-ga-nah-hay the secret religious places in the mountains.
I would bet Salvador D. knows but then he does not post. I bet he knows a lot of stuff unwritten. anyways there it is. Thanks Jeff.

Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:57 pm

jhowlett wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:32 am
Thanks Joe for the reply. In Helen Corbin's book page 202 she talks about an Apache ghost spirit that watches over their sacred places in the Supers. Ghost Horse before his death remarked about Ta-neah the ghost spirit who watches over kunh-ga-nah-hay the secret religious places in the mountains.
I would bet Salvador D. knows but then he does not post. I bet he knows a lot of stuff unwritten. anyways there it is. Thanks Jeff.
Jeff,

Thank you for your reply.

I would suggest you keep looking for other mentions of "Ghost Horse", Ta-neah and "kunh-ga-nah-hay", other than Helen's "Bible". Her source for Apache history in the Superstitions is questionable. There is little historic record for much activity by the Apache in the range, other than the northwestern portion which saw some use by the Tonto Apache. At that, they mostly lived on the north side of the Salt River.

Good luck,

Joe

jhowlett

Post by jhowlett » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:05 am

Thanks Joe Good information. I did not know any Apaches lived north of the Salt, that must of have been before Fort McDonald came into existence otherwise they would have been exposed? Thanks Jeff. .

Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:30 am

jhowlett wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:05 am
Thanks Joe Good information. I did not know any Apaches lived north of the Salt, that must of have been before Fort McDonald came into existence otherwise they would have been exposed? Thanks Jeff. .
Jeff,

Fort McDowell was established in Sept. 1865. The Tonto Apache were in the Sierra Anchas, mostly above the salt, both prior to and after that time. Lots of good books on the subject.

Good luck,

Joe

Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:36 am

Jeff,

A good book is: "Surviving Conquest: A History of the Yavapai Peoples". While not exclusively about the Tonto Apache, the two tribe were close and a good deal of inter tribe marriages took place. The Yavapai were often mistaken for Apache, and were often the recipients of Army retaliations against the Apache.

A number of copies of the book can be found here: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Search ... srp-_-allb

Good luck,

Joe