Doodles made by Jacob Waltz

Moderator: Jim_b

AshtonPage
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Doodles made by Jacob Waltz

Post by AshtonPage »

So then, there is no way to confirm Higham’s comments regarding the doodle other then he is speculating?

Uhhhh…. am I starting to sound like J.H. ? :)

Y'all can ignore the second question, thanks.

Best,
Ashton
Dirty Dutchman

Post by Dirty Dutchman »

Ashton,

I disagree. There is one way to find out.....

Find the mine and see what the Needle looks like from there or above it! :D

Travis
AshtonPage

Post by AshtonPage »

Hey Travis,

I'm already there - now I'm looking for the clues to prove it to everyone else. ;)

BTW - good call on the Superstition Museum.

All,

It would be interesting to know where Higham got his information about the Doodle or if he was merely speculating.

Ashton
Dirty Dutchman

Post by Dirty Dutchman »

Ashton,

Youre already there? Dang it, what the heck have i been doing wrong? I did the opposite,I found a place where all the clues match up but havent been able to stay long enough to find the mine! :(

Travis
Dirty Dutchman

Post by Dirty Dutchman »

And,

If you found a mine full of Gold, what the heck do you care if the clues match up? I wouldnt!! :D

Travis
AshtonPage

Post by AshtonPage »

Hi CubFan,

If the doodle is NOT reversed, then a likely candidate would be above Willow Spring in West Boulder Canyon. I know at least one member of this forum who believes that location could be “it” - but it ain’t me, so he will have to speak for himself.

I personally believe the doodle IS reversed, which puts me somewhere on the east of LaBarge Canyon and \ or Upper LaBarge Box area (generally….. sort of….. somewhere in there, anyway).

Although Herman did search all over the mountains, isn’t this the area Herman chose to set up his permanent camp in? (Holmes Part 1, pg 180). Now Herman got the doodle straight from Reiney, along with (it is safe to assume) whatever instructions Waltz told Reiney about it. Draw your own conclusions, but it is interesting.

Best,
Ashton
AshtonPage

Post by AshtonPage »

Dirty Dutchman wrote:And,

If you found a mine full of Gold, what the heck do you care if the clues match up? I wouldnt!! :D

Travis
Hey Travis,

I realize you’re joking, tongue in cheek as it were, but truth be told, we all want to know where to put the pick.This may sound strange, but to me it is not so much the gold as it is a matter of pride and legend. I’d like to be the one who is able to smile at the naysayers and I’d like to validate the legend. Personally I believe the shaft was getting deep during Waltz’s time, perhaps 75 feet or more. That’s why Peralta started a tunnel below it. And if it is filled in, which I believe it is, it’s going to be rather difficult to get to the bottom without…….. uhhhh…. let’s say chemical assistance. No thanks, I’m outta my league (not to mention outta my mind if you think I’m going to do that in a DWA).

That doesn’t leave me with “no ore, no proof” because not all the gold is in the shaft.

But back to the topic at hand; I want to validate the doodle (at least as much as possible) because if the doodle can be validated as being legit, then whatever clues are also present in that area are also legit – regardless of where they came from. Once we do that, then we can start piecing this puzzle together. To me, the doodle (if authentic) is the linchpin of this entire puzzle.

Best,
Ashton
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Ashton, Wow 75 feet deep! What made you come to that conclusion? I am just asking.

bEST wISHES
Kurt Painter
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

If I were going to really do some research into Higham and the drawing, I'd probably start at the State Library Archives and exhaust what I could there on the man and then get ahold of Greg Davis and see if he has anything additional.

According to Higham, MUCH of his "stuff" should be in the State Library archives.
Dirty Dutchman

Post by Dirty Dutchman »

Ashton,

I was definately just "funning". I'm glad you recognized that because it has been brought to my attention that i may type "brash" at times. :D Which may account for my "overuse" of the "smileys" now.

If you have found some kind of filled "shaft" out there, that is awesome in itself, no matter what it is. I for one am 100% with you on the "pride" part. Who wouldnt want to solve one of the biggest Legends of all time and get the "credit" for it? I found my "location" within the first 3 weeks of studying this subject but i have always wanted "more". Meaning figuring out the story itself. (Which i'm not sure can be done 100% because i wasnt there)

My opinion on the shaft comes from what seems to be your main study material. I read a quote in which Sims Ely said: "The Mine was a Volcanic Vent". With the Calderas in the area, this leads me to believe that the "hole" was already there. No one "dug" it out. I believe all the Mexicans did was find the hole and the Gold in it, then they "flailed" the sides to get down. I think they tried to tunnel in only because there was so much Gold in it, they believed they could work it more efficiently through a tunnel instead of climbing up and down. I firmly believe it was the "motherload" and they were "saving" it for last. Why? The price of Gold goes up all the time. Why not mine all of the "smaller" mines first? Save the biggest load for last? They know its there and, obviously hidden very well! ;)

My personal opinion about the "drawing" is that too much emphasis has been put on Weavers Needle. The "part" of the picture that stands out for me is the "hooded" looking part on the left. Waltz took the time to draw that to look specifically like something that it seems would "stand out" if one were to be looking at it. I personally believe the drawing of the Needle was an "after thought" and just showing where it would be from the "correct" view. In my opinion that is why the Needle is drawn "wrong".

Thanks,
Travis