Doodles made by Jacob Waltz

Moderator: Jim_b

jhowlett
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Doodles made by Jacob Waltz

Post by jhowlett »

Hey Choto AS I said before I believe it is a site that many have worked. My biggest fear is what is really up there or not their anymore. We can not mine so I am interested from a historical prospective. To be honest every time we find something that it fits, I keep waiting for something not to fit. Or my guys will get up there and Wayne and Frank will be seating down taking a break and eating hoagie's. Or the park service has a sign restricted area (I know those exist, this is not one). Well anyways I need to do as I said and that is to stay off until December, but you guys post such interesting stuff. Take care Jeff.
Choto

Post by Choto »

jhowlett wrote:Hey Choto AS I said before I believe it is a site that many have worked. My biggest fear is what is really up there or not their anymore. We can not mine so I am interested from a historical prospective. To be honest every time we find something that it fits, I keep waiting for something not to fit. Or my guys will get up there and Wayne and Frank will be seating down taking a break and eating hoagie's. Or the park service has a sign restricted area (I know those exist, this is not one). Well anyways I need to do as I said and that is to stay off until December, but you guys post such interesting stuff. Take care Jeff.
jhowlett,
Interesting stuff for sure. I passed by the Willing home in Philadelphia this morning, at least where it should have been. I mention this because Willing spent time in locations Waltz is reported to have prospected. The idea is that they may have crossed paths, perhaps even known each other.

Which would be interesting.

So, if you or anyone out there have a condensed timeline for Waltz, his life by location & year, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Matthew Roberts

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Timeline for Jacob Waltz, his recorded life by location and year.

The Recorded Life of Jacob Waltz

November 1839. Jacob Waltz arrives in America from Wurttemberg Germany. We know this from the statement he made on his application for citizenship at the Adams County courthouse, Natchez, Mississippi on November 12, 1848.

November 1847. Jacob Waltz arrives in the State of Mississippi. The exact city, town or location is unknown. We know this from his statement on his application for citizenship filed at the Adams County courthouse in Natchez, Mississippi. On this document Waltz also states he was born in Wurttemberg Germany about 1810 and came to America in 1839 at the age of 29.

November 12, 1848. Jacob Waltz applies for his citizenship at Natchez, Mississippi. For unknown reasons, Waltz, after filing, does not follow through with the citizenship process.

1860 California census. J.W. Walls is listed on the 1860 California census as a laborer, age 50, place of birth is not listed. It is believed by some, that this man was in fact Jacob Waltz. No place of birth is listed and the chance this man is Jacob Waltz is slim but not impossible.

Note * Jacob Waltz did not appear on the 1852 California State census.

July 19, 1861. Jacob Waltz is granted his citizenship at Los Angeles California. A transcript copy of Waltz’s 1848 application for citizenship at Natchez, Mississippi was forwarded to the Los Angeles county courthouse and both documents of Jacob Waltz citizenship are on file there.

May 1862. Jacob Waltz is in the Arizona Territory at La Paz along the Colorado River. We know this from his statement made on the May 1864 Arizona Territorial census in which Waltz states he had been in Arizona for 2 years.

September 21, 1863. Jacob Waltz files a mining claim on, the Gross Lode, with partners, Antone Fisher, GR Black, William Gross and RG Brooke. The claim is recorded in the journal of the Pioneer and Walker mining districts of Prescott, AT on page 263.

March 11, 1864. Jacob Waltz signs his name to a petition asking Arizona Territorial Governor Goodwin to provide protection for the miners around Prescott from Indian attacks. Sharlott Hall Museum, Prescott.

September 10, 1864. Jacob Waltz name appears on the transfer of records for mining claims from the Pioneer District to the Turkey Creek mining district. Waltz and partners GR Black, W. Gross, A. Fischer and RG Brooke are listed on the Gross Lode mining claim and recorded on page 71. Sharlott Hall Museum, Prescott.

September 14, 1864. Jacob Waltz files on a mining claim called the Big Rebel Lode. The mine is located in the Walnut Grove mining district along the Hassayampa River. Waltz partners on the claim are, Joseph Smith, and Peter Backens. The Big Rebel Lode is recorded in Book B-1 page 45. This book lists Waltz on two claims, the Big Rebel and the Gross Lode. Book B-1 book of mining records at Prescott, AT.

October 1864. Jacob Waltz is listed on the 1864 Arizona Territorial census as number 1008 on the list. He is described as 54 years old, a miner by profession, and a native of Germany. Waltz states he has been in the Arizona Territory for 2 years. It should be noted, the 1864 Arizona Territorial census was complete on May18, 1864 and published in October 1864. Arizona Territory census 3rd Judicial District.

December 27, 1865. Jacob Waltz files on a mining claim at Prescott called the General Grant Lode. The mining claim is located in the Walnut Grove Mining District and Waltz is the only name that appears on the claim. Recorded in Book B-1 page 155 of the mining records at Prescott.

April 1868. Jacob Waltz arrives in the Salt River Valley at a place which will later become part of the city of Phoenix, Arizona. The area is being cleared for agriculture by the cleaning out of several ancient Hohokam irrigation ditches. Waltz settles on a 160 acre homestead described as the North East quarter of Section 16, Township 1 North, Range 3 East. His quarter section is bounded on the north by Henshaw Road (today Buckeye Road), on the East by what will later become 16th Street, on the West by what will later become 12th Street and on the South by the Salt River bottomland. Waltz files his application to homestead his quarter section under the National Homestead Act of 1862.

On October 7, 1868 Waltz files this intent at the Pima County courthouse in Florence, AT.

Jacob Waltz files his intent to homestead at Florence because in October 1868 Maricopa County had not yet come into existence and the Federal land office at Prescott did not exist until December 1870. Note that in October 1868, Florence was in Pima County. Pinal County where Florence is located today, was not formed until February 1875.

Jacob Waltz stated he came to the Salt River Valley in April 1868 in the Property Valuation Records Report for 1869.

Waltz is listed on page 53 as claiming improvements on 160 acres land. Reference the Dr. Benjamin Sacks files at the Hayden Library of Arizona State University Tempe.

Note that Waltz’s 160 acre homestead did not become officially designated as school land until after Maricopa County was formed in February 1871.

From the Maricopa County tax rolls, Jacob Waltz’s adobe home sat alongside the west bank of the Dutch Ditch Southwest Extension canal, which cut across Waltz’s homestead from the Northeast to the Southwest. His home was located approximately 500 feet South of Henshaw Road and 600 feet East of 16th Street. This is approximately where the intersection of 14th Street and Yuma Street is located today. (From the Maricopa County land plat of 1890 and private title insurance records).

August 30, 1870. Jacob Waltz appears on the 1870 Federal Census for the Territory of Arizona, Yavapai County, Salt River Valley. He is listed on page 2, his name is number 1 on the list, Jacob Waltz is 60 years old, a farmer and a native of Germany. Note that the Salt River Valley and Phoenix were a part of Yavapai County until February 12, 1871 when Maricopa County was formed.

March 1871. Jacob Waltz files a claim to improve and settle the Northeast quarter of Section 16, Township 1 North, Range 3 east at the Federal land office in Prescott, Yavapai County AT. Sharlott Hall Museum records.

March 21, 1872. Jacob Waltz files a property affidavit on his homestead, the NE ¼ Sec16, T1N, R3E in the Book of Miscellaneous Records for Maricopa County. The affidavit deals with a dispute over the south half of Waltz’s homestead with a man named James Chenowith whom Waltz accuses of trespassing and jumping his homestead claim. Waltz swears in the affidavit he told Chenowith to get off his land and stay off.

April 1872. Jacob Waltz is listed on the Maricopa County census roll and the Tax roll. The tax document shows Waltz paid property taxes in the amount of $112

October 1872. Jacob Waltz is recorded on the October, 1872 Arizona Territorial Census of Maricopa County, Salt River Valley. Waltz is the 22nd name to appear on page 27.

October 1874. Jacob Waltz appears on the 1874 Arizona Territorial Census for Maricopa County, Salt River Valley under the heading, Name of Heads of Families and as a single person over 21 years of age. The 1874 Tax rolls show Jacob Waltz paid taxes on his 160 acre homestead.

April 1875. Jacob Waltz appears on the Maricopa County 1875 Tax roll list as having been assessed property valued at $250 and a payment made by Waltz of $6.25

September 4, 1876. Jacob Waltz is listed on the Great Register for Maricopa County, Salt River Valley as age 66.

October 1876. Jacob Waltz is listed on the Maricopa County Tax assessment roll as owing property taxes in the amount of $240 for one horse and 160 acres of land. Waltz is recorded as paying taxes on his property in the amount of $6. Property consisting of one horse is noted with the $6 payment.

May 1877. The Maricopa County Tax assessment rolls record Jacob Waltz as being assessed personal property valued at $200. Waltz’s property is listed as 80 acres of land. Note that this is an error by the recorder, the amount of acres should have read, 160. This tax record shows Waltz as having made a payment of $6.27

September 8, 1877. Jacob Waltz is recorded on pages 62 and 63 of the Maricopa County Probate Court Records Book A. Waltz is listed as the sole heir to the estate and will of Ferdinand Magdeberg of Phoenix, AT. Waltz is later recorded on August 5, 1878 and again on September 7, 1878 as having signed receipts for various items probated from the Magdeberg estate. Ferdinand Magdeberg was the neighbor of Jacob Waltz, living directly west of Waltz’s quarter section on a quarter section owned by Andrew Starrar. From the Maricopa County Tax Rolls and plat map for Andrew Starrar, Jacob Starrar and Ferdinand Magdeberg.

May 1878. Jacob Waltz is recorded in the 1878 Maricopa County Tax Rolls as having personal property valued at $250 property described as 160 acres of land. Waltz is recorded as making a payment of $7.12

August 8, 1878. Book 3 pages 322, 323, and 324 of the Maricopa County Recorders Book of Deeds, records Jacob Waltz and his neighbor, Andrew Starrar as entering into an agreement whereby Andrew Starrar promises to take care of Waltz and see to his needs should Waltz become incapacitated and unable to care for himself. In return, should the time ever come, Waltz promises to relinquish to Starrar, all of his worldly possessions plus the sum of $50.

October 1880. Jacob Waltz appears on the 1880 Federal Census for Maricopa County, Phoenix AT. Waltz is listed as 70 years of age, a native of Germany and a farmer. The census also lists Waltz as being single and in ill health.

October 1882. Jacob Waltz appears on the Great Register of Maricopa County age 72.

May 28, 1883. Jacob Waltz signs his name as a witness on a Maricopa County Recorders document involving the transfer of a mining claim from Andrew Starrar to Andrew’s brother, Jacob Starrar. The document appears in the Maricopa County Recorders Book of Deeds number 7 for the year 1883. The mining claim was the Ducharty Mine, recorded in Book 1 Deed of mines, Pima County AT.

June 18, 1884. The Arizona Gazette and the Phoenix Daily Herald, both run articles entitled, Foul Murder, and, A Mexican Murdered, respectively. The articles relate the murder of Pedro Ortega, allegedly by a Mexican named Selso Grijalva. The murder occurred 30 feet from the front door of the home of Jacob Waltz and on Waltz’s land. Waltz’s shotgun was found to be the murder weapon. Waltz made a statement to Deputy Sheriff Richards that he was in back of the house when he heard arguing and the sound of a gun being fired. When Waltz ran to the scene, he saw Ortega laying dead just outside his house. Waltz was not aware his shotgun had been used to murder Ortega. The deputy deduced the murderer, allegedly Grijalva, took Waltz shotgun from inside the front door, shot Ortega, then returned the shotgun to its original place and made his escape. Waltz was not charged in connection with the murder and no one was ever caught and brought to justice for the death of Ortega. Many questions concerning this murder went unanswered.

September 27, 1884. Jacob Waltz appears on the Great Register for Maricopa County age 74.

March 17, 1886. The property which Jacob Waltz promised to Andrew Starrar in the event Waltz ever became indigent and needed Starrar to care for him is sold by the Sheriff for non payment of taxes. However Waltz is not evicted from his property and no further action is taken against him. He continues to live on his homestead until a flood destroys his home on the night of February 19, 1891.

October 1886. Jacob Waltz appears on the Great Register of Maricopa County, age 76.

1890 Note * Both the Federal and the Arizona Territorial Census for the year 1890 were destroyed. The Federal census was burned in a fire and the Arizona Territory census was destroyed in a flood. Along with it was lost the Arizona Territory Voter Registration records for 1871 – 1891. They are not the same as the Great Register.

September 14, 1890. Jacob Waltz appears on the Great Register for Maricopa County, age 80.

February 20, 1891. Jacob Waltz name (Walts) appears in an article which appeared in the Phoenix Daily Herald entitled, After the High Tide. The article deals with the great Salt River flood of February 1891 that destroyed much of Phoenix between Harrison Street and the Salt River. The article in part reads,…….“Several adobes, not having been embanked, fell, including those of Beckett, Pesquiern, butcher Grijalba and Jake Walts (Jacob Waltz). One belonging to four Swedes and two Mexican houses back of Starrs (Jacob Starrar) …………..”

October 25, 1891. Jacob Waltz dies in Phoenix on Sunday morning October 25, 1891 at 6:00 AM. From his obituary appearing on the 26th of October 1891. Waltz’s death certificate has yet to be brought forward. It is commonly believed Waltz died from complications of pneumonia.

October 26, 1891. Jacob Waltz is buried at 10:00 AM in the Phoenix City Cemetery. Today that cemetery is called the Pioneer and Military Memorial Cemetery. The cemetery is located on Jefferson and 15th avenue in Phoenix and is sometime referred to as the Loosely City cemetery. Waltz is buried in Block 19 Lot 37 Grave 4 of that cemetery. His grave is one grave east of the grave of 13 year old George Petrasch, who is buried in grave number 3.

Hermann Petrasch, the brother of George Petrasch, verified the site of Waltz’s grave in a letter to the Pioneer Cemetery Association dated March 18, 1940. There was no grave marker for Waltz that survived into the 20th century. In 1969, Lester Holtzen commissioned Vance Howe to carve a gravestone for Waltz’s grave. In 1969 the exact location of Waltz’s grave was uncertain because the surrounding grave markers were gone and the original cemetery boundary fence had been moved. Thus, Holtzen’s original placement of Waltz’s grave marker was off by several yards.

In 1992, the Phoenix Pioneer Cemetery Association re-surveyed the original cemetery, re-establishing the Block, Lot and Grave number locations. Mark Lamm, working with the Pioneer Cemetery Association, completed a ground penetrating radar research survey to locate the exact grave placements in the cemetery. Jacob Waltz grave was located exactly where Hermann Petrasch had indicated it was and Lester Holtzen’s stone marker was moved to where you see it today at the head of Jacob Waltz grave.

October 26, 1891. Jacob Waltz obituary appears in the Phoenix Daily Herald on page 3 column 1. The obituary reads as follows:
Jacob Waltz, aged 81 years, died at 6:00 AM Sunday October 25, 1891, and was buried at 10 o’clock this morning from the residence of Mrs. JE Thomas, who had kindly nursed him through his last sickness. Deceased was a native of Germany and spent the last thirty years time, ranching and raising chickens. His honest, industrious, amicable character led Mrs. Thomas to care for him during his final days on earth and he died with a blessing for her on his lips.

October 27, 1891. Jacob Waltz death notice appears in the Arizona Daily Gazette on page 4, column 1. The death notice reads as follows:
Jacob Waltz died Sunday evening at the residence of Mrs. JE Thomas and was buried yesterday. Deceased was a native of Germany and was 81 years old.

Note that it is obvious the Arizona Daily Gazette reporter had not been aware of Waltz death until he himself read about it in the Herald the day before, and hurriedly copied pieces of the Herald’s obituary to make the last page of the Gazette on the 27th. In his haste he made two errors in reporting Waltz’s death.

Here ends the official documentation of the life of Jacob Waltz, the Dutchman. Born 1810 in Wurttemberg Germany and died in Phoenix Arizona Territory 1891. In several of these years, Waltz is missing from all documentations. Were these the times and years he visited his gold mine in the Superstition Mountains?

Matthew Roberts
deducer

Post by deducer »

Pretty comprehensive. Thank you for sharing, Matthew.
Choto

Post by Choto »

Matthew Roberts wrote:Timeline for Jacob Waltz, his recorded life by location and year.

The Recorded Life of Jacob Waltz

November 1839. Jacob Waltz arrives in America from Wurttemberg Germany. We know this from the statement he made on his application for citizenship at the Adams County courthouse, Natchez, Mississippi on November 12, 1848.

November 1847. Jacob Waltz arrives in the State of Mississippi. The exact city, town or location is unknown. We know this from his statement on his application for citizenship filed at the Adams County courthouse in Natchez, Mississippi. On this document Waltz also states he was born in Wurttemberg Germany about 1810 and came to America in 1839 at the age of 29.

November 12, 1848. Jacob Waltz applies for his citizenship at Natchez, Mississippi. For unknown reasons, Waltz, after filing, does not follow through with the citizenship process.

1860 California census. J.W. Walls is listed on the 1860 California census as a laborer, age 50, place of birth is not listed. It is believed by some, that this man was in fact Jacob Waltz. No place of birth is listed and the chance this man is Jacob Waltz is slim but not impossible.

Note * Jacob Waltz did not appear on the 1852 California State census.

July 19, 1861. Jacob Waltz is granted his citizenship at Los Angeles California. A transcript copy of Waltz’s 1848 application for citizenship at Natchez, Mississippi was forwarded to the Los Angeles county courthouse and both documents of Jacob Waltz citizenship are on file there.

May 1862. Jacob Waltz is in the Arizona Territory at La Paz along the Colorado River. We know this from his statement made on the May 1864 Arizona Territorial census in which Waltz states he had been in Arizona for 2 years.

September 21, 1863. Jacob Waltz files a mining claim on, the Gross Lode, with partners, Antone Fisher, GR Black, William Gross and RG Brooke. The claim is recorded in the journal of the Pioneer and Walker mining districts of Prescott, AT on page 263.

March 11, 1864. Jacob Waltz signs his name to a petition asking Arizona Territorial Governor Goodwin to provide protection for the miners around Prescott from Indian attacks. Sharlott Hall Museum, Prescott.

September 10, 1864. Jacob Waltz name appears on the transfer of records for mining claims from the Pioneer District to the Turkey Creek mining district. Waltz and partners GR Black, W. Gross, A. Fischer and RG Brooke are listed on the Gross Lode mining claim and recorded on page 71. Sharlott Hall Museum, Prescott.

September 14, 1864. Jacob Waltz files on a mining claim called the Big Rebel Lode. The mine is located in the Walnut Grove mining district along the Hassayampa River. Waltz partners on the claim are, Joseph Smith, and Peter Backens. The Big Rebel Lode is recorded in Book B-1 page 45. This book lists Waltz on two claims, the Big Rebel and the Gross Lode. Book B-1 book of mining records at Prescott, AT.

October 1864. Jacob Waltz is listed on the 1864 Arizona Territorial census as number 1008 on the list. He is described as 54 years old, a miner by profession, and a native of Germany. Waltz states he has been in the Arizona Territory for 2 years. It should be noted, the 1864 Arizona Territorial census was complete on May18, 1864 and published in October 1864. Arizona Territory census 3rd Judicial District.

December 27, 1865. Jacob Waltz files on a mining claim at Prescott called the General Grant Lode. The mining claim is located in the Walnut Grove Mining District and Waltz is the only name that appears on the claim. Recorded in Book B-1 page 155 of the mining records at Prescott.

April 1868. Jacob Waltz arrives in the Salt River Valley at a place which will later become part of the city of Phoenix, Arizona. The area is being cleared for agriculture by the cleaning out of several ancient Hohokam irrigation ditches. Waltz settles on a 160 acre homestead described as the North East quarter of Section 16, Township 1 North, Range 3 East. His quarter section is bounded on the north by Henshaw Road (today Buckeye Road), on the East by what will later become 16th Street, on the West by what will later become 12th Street and on the South by the Salt River bottomland. Waltz files his application to homestead his quarter section under the National Homestead Act of 1862.

On October 7, 1868 Waltz files this intent at the Pima County courthouse in Florence, AT.

Jacob Waltz files his intent to homestead at Florence because in October 1868 Maricopa County had not yet come into existence and the Federal land office at Prescott did not exist until December 1870. Note that in October 1868, Florence was in Pima County. Pinal County where Florence is located today, was not formed until February 1875.

Jacob Waltz stated he came to the Salt River Valley in April 1868 in the Property Valuation Records Report for 1869.

Waltz is listed on page 53 as claiming improvements on 160 acres land. Reference the Dr. Benjamin Sacks files at the Hayden Library of Arizona State University Tempe.

Note that Waltz’s 160 acre homestead did not become officially designated as school land until after Maricopa County was formed in February 1871.

From the Maricopa County tax rolls, Jacob Waltz’s adobe home sat alongside the west bank of the Dutch Ditch Southwest Extension canal, which cut across Waltz’s homestead from the Northeast to the Southwest. His home was located approximately 500 feet South of Henshaw Road and 600 feet East of 16th Street. This is approximately where the intersection of 14th Street and Yuma Street is located today. (From the Maricopa County land plat of 1890 and private title insurance records).

August 30, 1870. Jacob Waltz appears on the 1870 Federal Census for the Territory of Arizona, Yavapai County, Salt River Valley. He is listed on page 2, his name is number 1 on the list, Jacob Waltz is 60 years old, a farmer and a native of Germany. Note that the Salt River Valley and Phoenix were a part of Yavapai County until February 12, 1871 when Maricopa County was formed.

March 1871. Jacob Waltz files a claim to improve and settle the Northeast quarter of Section 16, Township 1 North, Range 3 east at the Federal land office in Prescott, Yavapai County AT. Sharlott Hall Museum records.

March 21, 1872. Jacob Waltz files a property affidavit on his homestead, the NE ¼ Sec16, T1N, R3E in the Book of Miscellaneous Records for Maricopa County. The affidavit deals with a dispute over the south half of Waltz’s homestead with a man named James Chenowith whom Waltz accuses of trespassing and jumping his homestead claim. Waltz swears in the affidavit he told Chenowith to get off his land and stay off.

April 1872. Jacob Waltz is listed on the Maricopa County census roll and the Tax roll. The tax document shows Waltz paid property taxes in the amount of $112

October 1872. Jacob Waltz is recorded on the October, 1872 Arizona Territorial Census of Maricopa County, Salt River Valley. Waltz is the 22nd name to appear on page 27.

October 1874. Jacob Waltz appears on the 1874 Arizona Territorial Census for Maricopa County, Salt River Valley under the heading, Name of Heads of Families and as a single person over 21 years of age. The 1874 Tax rolls show Jacob Waltz paid taxes on his 160 acre homestead.

April 1875. Jacob Waltz appears on the Maricopa County 1875 Tax roll list as having been assessed property valued at $250 and a payment made by Waltz of $6.25

September 4, 1876. Jacob Waltz is listed on the Great Register for Maricopa County, Salt River Valley as age 66.

October 1876. Jacob Waltz is listed on the Maricopa County Tax assessment roll as owing property taxes in the amount of $240 for one horse and 160 acres of land. Waltz is recorded as paying taxes on his property in the amount of $6. Property consisting of one horse is noted with the $6 payment.

May 1877. The Maricopa County Tax assessment rolls record Jacob Waltz as being assessed personal property valued at $200. Waltz’s property is listed as 80 acres of land. Note that this is an error by the recorder, the amount of acres should have read, 160. This tax record shows Waltz as having made a payment of $6.27

September 8, 1877. Jacob Waltz is recorded on pages 62 and 63 of the Maricopa County Probate Court Records Book A. Waltz is listed as the sole heir to the estate and will of Ferdinand Magdeberg of Phoenix, AT. Waltz is later recorded on August 5, 1878 and again on September 7, 1878 as having signed receipts for various items probated from the Magdeberg estate. Ferdinand Magdeberg was the neighbor of Jacob Waltz, living directly west of Waltz’s quarter section on a quarter section owned by Andrew Starrar. From the Maricopa County Tax Rolls and plat map for Andrew Starrar, Jacob Starrar and Ferdinand Magdeberg.

May 1878. Jacob Waltz is recorded in the 1878 Maricopa County Tax Rolls as having personal property valued at $250 property described as 160 acres of land. Waltz is recorded as making a payment of $7.12

August 8, 1878. Book 3 pages 322, 323, and 324 of the Maricopa County Recorders Book of Deeds, records Jacob Waltz and his neighbor, Andrew Starrar as entering into an agreement whereby Andrew Starrar promises to take care of Waltz and see to his needs should Waltz become incapacitated and unable to care for himself. In return, should the time ever come, Waltz promises to relinquish to Starrar, all of his worldly possessions plus the sum of $50.

October 1880. Jacob Waltz appears on the 1880 Federal Census for Maricopa County, Phoenix AT. Waltz is listed as 70 years of age, a native of Germany and a farmer. The census also lists Waltz as being single and in ill health.

October 1882. Jacob Waltz appears on the Great Register of Maricopa County age 72.

May 28, 1883. Jacob Waltz signs his name as a witness on a Maricopa County Recorders document involving the transfer of a mining claim from Andrew Starrar to Andrew’s brother, Jacob Starrar. The document appears in the Maricopa County Recorders Book of Deeds number 7 for the year 1883. The mining claim was the Ducharty Mine, recorded in Book 1 Deed of mines, Pima County AT.

June 18, 1884. The Arizona Gazette and the Phoenix Daily Herald, both run articles entitled, Foul Murder, and, A Mexican Murdered, respectively. The articles relate the murder of Pedro Ortega, allegedly by a Mexican named Selso Grijalva. The murder occurred 30 feet from the front door of the home of Jacob Waltz and on Waltz’s land. Waltz’s shotgun was found to be the murder weapon. Waltz made a statement to Deputy Sheriff Richards that he was in back of the house when he heard arguing and the sound of a gun being fired. When Waltz ran to the scene, he saw Ortega laying dead just outside his house. Waltz was not aware his shotgun had been used to murder Ortega. The deputy deduced the murderer, allegedly Grijalva, took Waltz shotgun from inside the front door, shot Ortega, then returned the shotgun to its original place and made his escape. Waltz was not charged in connection with the murder and no one was ever caught and brought to justice for the death of Ortega. Many questions concerning this murder went unanswered.

September 27, 1884. Jacob Waltz appears on the Great Register for Maricopa County age 74.

March 17, 1886. The property which Jacob Waltz promised to Andrew Starrar in the event Waltz ever became indigent and needed Starrar to care for him is sold by the Sheriff for non payment of taxes. However Waltz is not evicted from his property and no further action is taken against him. He continues to live on his homestead until a flood destroys his home on the night of February 19, 1891.

October 1886. Jacob Waltz appears on the Great Register of Maricopa County, age 76.

1890 Note * Both the Federal and the Arizona Territorial Census for the year 1890 were destroyed. The Federal census was burned in a fire and the Arizona Territory census was destroyed in a flood. Along with it was lost the Arizona Territory Voter Registration records for 1871 – 1891. They are not the same as the Great Register.

September 14, 1890. Jacob Waltz appears on the Great Register for Maricopa County, age 80.

February 20, 1891. Jacob Waltz name (Walts) appears in an article which appeared in the Phoenix Daily Herald entitled, After the High Tide. The article deals with the great Salt River flood of February 1891 that destroyed much of Phoenix between Harrison Street and the Salt River. The article in part reads,…….“Several adobes, not having been embanked, fell, including those of Beckett, Pesquiern, butcher Grijalba and Jake Walts (Jacob Waltz). One belonging to four Swedes and two Mexican houses back of Starrs (Jacob Starrar) …………..”

October 25, 1891. Jacob Waltz dies in Phoenix on Sunday morning October 25, 1891 at 6:00 AM. From his obituary appearing on the 26th of October 1891. Waltz’s death certificate has yet to be brought forward. It is commonly believed Waltz died from complications of pneumonia.

October 26, 1891. Jacob Waltz is buried at 10:00 AM in the Phoenix City Cemetery. Today that cemetery is called the Pioneer and Military Memorial Cemetery. The cemetery is located on Jefferson and 15th avenue in Phoenix and is sometime referred to as the Loosely City cemetery. Waltz is buried in Block 19 Lot 37 Grave 4 of that cemetery. His grave is one grave east of the grave of 13 year old George Petrasch, who is buried in grave number 3.

Hermann Petrasch, the brother of George Petrasch, verified the site of Waltz’s grave in a letter to the Pioneer Cemetery Association dated March 18, 1940. There was no grave marker for Waltz that survived into the 20th century. In 1969, Lester Holtzen commissioned Vance Howe to carve a gravestone for Waltz’s grave. In 1969 the exact location of Waltz’s grave was uncertain because the surrounding grave markers were gone and the original cemetery boundary fence had been moved. Thus, Holtzen’s original placement of Waltz’s grave marker was off by several yards.

In 1992, the Phoenix Pioneer Cemetery Association re-surveyed the original cemetery, re-establishing the Block, Lot and Grave number locations. Mark Lamm, working with the Pioneer Cemetery Association, completed a ground penetrating radar research survey to locate the exact grave placements in the cemetery. Jacob Waltz grave was located exactly where Hermann Petrasch had indicated it was and Lester Holtzen’s stone marker was moved to where you see it today at the head of Jacob Waltz grave.

October 26, 1891. Jacob Waltz obituary appears in the Phoenix Daily Herald on page 3 column 1. The obituary reads as follows:
Jacob Waltz, aged 81 years, died at 6:00 AM Sunday October 25, 1891, and was buried at 10 o’clock this morning from the residence of Mrs. JE Thomas, who had kindly nursed him through his last sickness. Deceased was a native of Germany and spent the last thirty years time, ranching and raising chickens. His honest, industrious, amicable character led Mrs. Thomas to care for him during his final days on earth and he died with a blessing for her on his lips.

October 27, 1891. Jacob Waltz death notice appears in the Arizona Daily Gazette on page 4, column 1. The death notice reads as follows:
Jacob Waltz died Sunday evening at the residence of Mrs. JE Thomas and was buried yesterday. Deceased was a native of Germany and was 81 years old.

Note that it is obvious the Arizona Daily Gazette reporter had not been aware of Waltz death until he himself read about it in the Herald the day before, and hurriedly copied pieces of the Herald’s obituary to make the last page of the Gazette on the 27th. In his haste he made two errors in reporting Waltz’s death.

Here ends the official documentation of the life of Jacob Waltz, the Dutchman. Born 1810 in Wurttemberg Germany and died in Phoenix Arizona Territory 1891. In several of these years, Waltz is missing from all documentations. Were these the times and years he visited his gold mine in the Superstition Mountains?

Matthew Roberts
Thank you Matthew. 60' to 74' is the period that I am researching. Wait until you see the Willing time line.
Is there a Waltz connection to Colorado that you know of?

Also, does the stamp book that Waltz used to make his drawing still exist?

Thank you again Matthew. Very helpful.
treasures2much

Post by treasures2much »

I realize this is way after the original post in 2009, "talking about the doodles" I have always believed that I could see Miners needle in the drawing... If I'm even close to correct, that the map, is reversed or not is irrelevant...Also it may not even be near the mine or showing other things close by. It could be only the start of the trail showing Miners and Weavers Needles... Which I believe Rheiny and Julia ignored.
Nan, treasures 2 much :?: :?
jhowlett

Post by jhowlett »

It fits some where else, It is not weavers needle. Jacob Waltz was not a trained artist or cartographer like keno. Most of these maps are not in the correct 2 dimensional formation. The area is even hard to draw correctly by a trained artist as myself, back then it would have been very difficult to do, there a lot of cross sectional 3 dimensional forms that intersect and are a challenge to put on paper even today. That being said I know what he was trying to draw. There are a couple of maps 2 in particular that each have a feature on them that is somewhat accurate. Thanks Jeff.

it
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

jhowlett,

I believe it is Weaver's Needle, drawn by a man on his death bed who had not seen that view for a number of years. He was drawing it from memory.

This is the view that can be seen coming east from above the massacre grounds. Julia and Rhiney made their first attempt to enter the mountains from Hog Canyon. Their second attempt was from Second Water Trailhead. In essence, that brackets the entrance that would have given them the view of Weaver's Needle which Waltz drew. Probably just a coincidence........It also would have led them to Willow Spring and Ruth's eventual campsite. It's also where you would end up following Bicknell's instructions. By another coincidence, it leads to one of the Xs on the Stone Maps. I was told by one of my team members in 2004 that there was a monumented, sealed mine at that location. He was the only one who made the climb up from West Boulder Canyon.

Here's some speculation.......Waltz is prospecting the western end of the Superstitions. He finds the massacre grounds with bags of rich gold ore lying on the ground. Thinking the original owners may return for their ore, he loads up his burro(s) with all they can carry and moves it east into the mountains and creates some caches. He makes up the story of the mine to explain the rich ore he has in Phoenix and sticks to that story for the rest of his life.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
jhowlett

Post by jhowlett »

Joe Great picture appears to be weavers needle. Absolutely a great point, and I only saw what he was trying to draw last week after looking at it 30 or 40 times, and now it is obvious what he was trying to draw, and it is another place. Like you said older lying there sick and trying to draw from bed and not being trained in dimensional drawing, he would have highlighted things (features) and there is one thing he put on paper that is strange but after I looked at it again it hit me, look again. it is not Weavers needle. Thanks Jeff. Forget where you think it is, and just look.
jhowlett

Post by jhowlett »

Joe respectfully the images you posted of the Dutchman's exact doodle is in fact not an exacted representation. and the difference may appear to be small but, I assure you it is not, which you will see late fall early next year. Look at Helen Corbin's post several pages back that is exact, and significant. Most respectfully Jeff.