THE PASSING OF AN OLD DUTCH HUNTER

Moderator: Jim_b

i-tsari-tsu-i

THE PASSING OF AN OLD DUTCH HUNTER

Post by i-tsari-tsu-i »

On May 11, Ernie Provence passed away. He had been in ill health for a number of years, and his body finally gave up the fight.

Ernie was an old friend of ours, and a partner of Chuck Ribaudo, my uncle. He was one of those guys who could always get a laugh out of you.

Ernie made it to the Rendezvous last year and wanted to make the trip again this year. He was able to reunite with old friends and acquaintances, and created some new ones. His daughter called us with the news this morning. They are hoping to hold a memorial service some time next year. Our thoughts and prayers are with Ernie and his family.

Pictures and more information can be found here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/lost- ... ost2585019

Joe & Carolyn Ribaudo
cubfan64
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: THE PASSING OF AN OLD DUTCH HUNTER

Post by cubfan64 »

Sorry to hear that - I'm glad he was able to make the Rendezvous last year and meet up with some folks he knew or knew about.
Dirty Dutchman

Post by Dirty Dutchman »

Sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure he had a life well spent in search of his dreams.

Travis Crow
coazon de oro

Post by coazon de oro »

My condolences to his family and friends. I hope Ernie got to scratch out everything in his bucket list.

Homar
gollum

Post by gollum »

Hey Joe,

Sorry to hear of Ernie's passing. One more of the very few first hand treasure story witnesses is gone. I believe that he is the last of that "Cave of Gold Bars Crew?"

Well, like all the rest of those that have passed on, I am sure they know all the "where's" "when's" and "why's" that they searched for, leaving us to keep wondering.

Mike
aurum

Post by aurum »

I learned today that G.E. "Buck" Wallace passed away recently.

Some of you will surely remember "Buck" Wallace. Garland E. Wallace was for many years a Game Ranger with Arizona Fish and Game in the Superstition Roosevelt, Tonto and Four Peaks areas. He and Brownie Holmes worked together at Fish and Game and he was an off and on searcher for the Lost Dutchman mine.

Some of the cabins, sheds, wildlife shelters and waterholes he built are still around. He kept a camp for many years in a side canyon that drained off of Tortilla into Peters Canyon. He worked on Superstition trails before the Forest Service came in and improved them. He was a frequent sight in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's riding his Buckskin mare and hiking throughout the Superstitions, Mazatzals and Tonto Basin. He was the first Game Ranger to patrol Apache, Roosevelt and Canyon lakes by boat. And Buck built the boat.

Buck Wallace enforced game laws in an era and place when enforcing those laws was a fairly dangerous undertaking. Following his working days he still could be seen riding, hiking and walking around the Superstition country. He knew all the old Superstition characters, Chuck Aylor, Roy Bradford, Abe Reid, Al Morrow, Tex Barkley, Brownie Holmes, Al Reeser and many others.

Buck Wallace died just 6 months short of his 100th birthday.
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Aurum:

Old Buck must have had a lot of fascinating stories to tell around the campfire.
I'm sure he'll be remembered fondly by the many who must have known him.

Regards:Somehiker
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Always sad to hear of a passing, but 100 years is a good rich life to live. I had never heard his name before.
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Donald Peterson and I were bitter enemies when we first clashed on Feldman's Forum. A few years ago, I made the effort to end that and we became cautious friends. After inviting him to the Rendezvous for a few years, he finally showed up. We gave each other a hug and said we were sorry for our warfare of words. Donald gave me a Native American rattle at that first meeting, and later a signed copy of a book his professor from NAU had written. I know it was a treasure to him. Susan Deeds had this to say: "Donald Peterson was a Master's student in NAU's History program years ago, and I was his advisor." She added, "He was very intelligent". I know they became good friends.

Sandy called me tonight with the sad news that he had passed away in late December. She thanked me for introducing them and said they had exchanged many phone call over the last few years. It was exactly what the Rendezvous was created for. They were, I believe, kindred souls.

I am saddened by Donald's passing, and wish him God Speed.

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Donald Peterson making new friends at the Rendezvous:

Donald (pippinwhitepaws), Ralph and Frank.

Joe Ribaudo