The Killer Mountains

Moderator: Jim_b

Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

The Killer Mountains

Post by Space Cowboy »

A buddy of mine sent me a 1971 paperback copy of Curt Gentry's 'The Killer Mountains', and knowing no more about the LDM than what might have been published in Desert Magazine, I read it. Since the book contends that the Lost Dutchman was located in 1965, was excavated and found to be played out, I was wondering if any of the much better informed souls here might want to comment on the veracity of Gentry's story.
Hooch
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: The Killer Mountains

Post by Hooch »

About 7 people make the claim that they have found the mine each year. And every year it pans out that 7 people were full of shit. :lol:
AshtonPage

Post by AshtonPage »

Hi S.C.,

A lot of times, these kinds of questions can best be answered by simply looking at what is going on in the DH community. A lot of people who know a lot more than I do about the LDM are still looking for it. Meaning – if “those in the know” don’t believe Gentry’s account of the mine being played out, then that’s a pretty good indication the LDM is still intact.

Best,
Ashton
eunderhill

Post by eunderhill »

Based on what I have read in Helen Corbin's book 'The Dutchman's Curse', I think the mine was indeed found by two men while in the 1880's or 90's. I don't remember what their names were. They were out looking for the LDM mine when they find a lode of gold high up in a ledge of Fish Creek Canyon near where it empties into the Salt River. From the description of their mines location in the account, it sounded awfully treacherous and difficult to get to. One of these two men eventually gives up on the mine they were working and goes back to looking for the LDM. The accounts of the LDM I have read do suggest that the LDM was up in a high place in some type of a north south canyon and Fish Creek does come close to the north south alignment but not exactly and this mine was high up on a ledge in this canyon.

The Peralta family from what I understand had more than one mine in the Suerstitions area. Don Miguel Peralta had only given Waltz access to one of these mines. So there are probably other mines yet to be found.
AshtonPage

Post by AshtonPage »

I personally think that Fish Creek is a bit out of the way, but I can’t show you any ore so my opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. But if the LDM is up Fish Creek way then I wonder why Waltz would have Julia and Reiney enter the Superstitions from the Board House?

Best,
Ashton
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Ashton:

There is an old claim that fits the description, which is being worked by a small group.
Lots of tools, other equipment, water and trash laying about and in caches nearby.

roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

all I know is I'm up Fish Creek without a paddle
I don't even have a dollar
cheers
roc
eunderhill

Post by eunderhill »

AshtonPage wrote:I personally think that Fish Creek is a bit out of the way, but I can’t show you any ore so my opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. But if the LDM is up Fish Creek way then I wonder why Waltz would have Julia and Reiney enter the Superstitions from the Board House?

Best,
Ashton
Because of Waltz's old age and poor health he was planning on making the trip to the mine with them as far as the board house. He just wasn't up to going to the mine anymore. As for why he even bothered to go at all, I would imagine is anyone's guess. But that would have been the reason behind it. Somehiker, is that photo from Fish Creek and the Salt River?
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Yes it is. Less than a mile from the river and about 1000' above Fish Creek.
I'm inclined to think it was originally a Sims Ely or Jim Bark prospect.
Definitely not the LDM.
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

I would be inclined to read Killer Mountain, enjoy it, and call it a great "story". Knowing one of the actual people from that McGill party, I can tell you, it is fiction - and everything after page 46 came from the mind of the author - probably based on a few facts here and there, but, definitely a work of fiction. (good fiction, but still fiction).

Mrs.O