PSM and Weaver's Needle

Moderator: Jim_b

PBFred
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: PSM and Weaver's Needle

Post by PBFred »

Hooch,

The only info I could find about Weever's Needle being blasted was that there was some blasting done in an attempt to look for gold. I couldn't find anything about blasting on the scale that would change the look of the entire Needle. That would require a serious amount of explosives in those days (wagons full)... and basically someone out to just destroy the Needle. I highly doubt the looks of it were changed much, if at all. Just some typical blasting to uncover a few spots to see if spots held any type of ore worth mining.

Fred
Hooch

Post by Hooch »

Look harder, there was an earthquake and tons of blasting done in the 1900s done out there
PBFred

Post by PBFred »

Hooch,

I'll let you provide the evidence. I can't find any, except for general mining exploration, which wouldn't have had any impact on the shape.

I also refuse to believe that someone used enough TNT to alter the shape more than slightly. The Needle is absolutely massive, and that isn't counting the base of it.

Fred
StevenTrost

Post by StevenTrost »

PBFred, Hooch,

Dynamite has been used on the Needle in the past and the 1881 earthquake probably shook some loose rocks down, but all those places show up as new scars on the Needle and change of color in the rock. I don't quite understand what you are saying Hooch. Do you mean someone dynamited Weaver's Needle to make it look more like a heart ? Or did they blast it to destroy something else ? Or did they just use dynamite to try and uncover something hidden or buried ? There had to be a good reason for using the dynamite, what do you think it was ?

Steven Trost