Are there other maps made out of stone?

Moderator: Jim_b

PBFred
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Are there other maps made out of stone?

Post by PBFred »

(I brought this up in another thread and thought it deserved a thread of its own.)

One of my biggest questions about the Peralta Stone Maps is why someone went to the trouble to make them to begin with? It truly baffles me.

I've tried searching for stone maps and can't seem to find any that would come even close to matching the time period in which the Peralta stones had to be made. Basically, once paper was invented, why bother creating a map out of stone? Especially considering the weight of it for someone to carry around to use it.

Has anyone found any references to any stone maps similar to these at all? I know I haven't. Yes, many stone crosses and such, but no actual maps.

Also, when you consider the Stone Maps themselves, each one has carvings on both sides. That seems odd to me too.

You could theorize that they were made that way so that they could be hidden in plain site, i.e., you could hide them in a church, or such structure, that was made with stones. Then, for those that needed them, could flip them over. The two problems with this theory is that Horse/Priest stone has info on both sides, not just a cross or such. Plus two, and more importantly, you could hide a piece of paper under a stone a hell of lot easier and with less risk of it being found.

I'm inclined to believe that the Stone Maps are not fake... but when I really start thinking about why they were made, I really can't come up with an answer that makes sense. Even if you wanted a very durable copy of a map, you still could have made it of much smaller stones and with the etchings not so deep.

Overall, it tends to lean me towards the direction that the Stone Maps were made for decorative purposes. Maybe someone showing off the maps they used to find their fortune had them carved in stone (kinda like bronzing your kid's baby shoes or such).

I was curious as to what others have to think about this?
D T

Re: Are there other maps made out of stone?

Post by D T »

OK,I am not a treasure hunter,and have never even seen a
picture of these stones.my question is could these stones be used for rubbings ,in other words could these be originals that copies could be taken from ?
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

DT:

You can go to this thread, which has much more on the Stone Maps.

http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=345

Regards:Somehiker
PBFred

Post by PBFred »

D T wrote:OK,I am not a treasure hunter,and have never even seen a
picture of these stones.my question is could these stones be used for rubbings ,in other words could these be originals that copies could be taken from ?
DT,
That's an original thought about them that I've never heard of or thought of before. But, as I mentioned, each stone has carvings on both sides, granted, just a cross or such on the one side, with the one exception (Check out the link Somehiker posted to learn more about them). Plus the large cutout from the heart would leave a very poor rubbing without it being in place (and it is also double-sided). So that would be kind of weird.

But thinking about it, it truly could be a possibility for a way to hand out maps to group of people... or, if you believe the Stones to be a hoax, also a way to produce multiple copies to sell... either way, it could explain the whole reason they were made.

Like I said, without finding any other stone maps like this from even close to the era in which they had to be made, the question of why someone went to so much trouble to make them does stand out "very loudly" to me as something that needs to be answered. The answer may even be part of the solution.

Thanks for your thoughts.

PBFred
D T

Post by D T »

Paper is old,possibly invented by Egyptians or Koreans,in the first 100 years after divinity.The Chinese were producing it early in history(13th century).But this would have been on a small scale ,all hand made,possibly made for each specific use, you would not go purchase paper,it was not common place.paper,as we know it was not produced untill the 19th century,and even then still was not common place.in 1844 a canadian inventor developed pulping wood fibers.the sulfite process dates to the 1840's.and the kraft process dates to the 1870's but was first put into production in the 1890's,old paper was not stable,it deteriorated and yellowed
Bambi

Post by Bambi »

Peralta Stones
I think this is the thing that you want. You can read a brief details about this at wikipedia.