Gold in the Superstition Mountains

Moderator: Jim_b

Goldmine
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Gold in the Superstition Mountains

Post by Goldmine »

It is commonly believed and has been said many times by many people, "there is no gold in the Superstition mountains because the mountains are volcanic in nature". That is a false statement and false to assume such a thing. Volcanics do not prohibit the occurrance of gold ore deposits, only lessens the chances of finding one. The two largest gold deposits on earth, in South Africa and Russia, are both found in heavy, deep running volcanics.

I was told of gold found in the Superstitions and shown some of that gold but remained skeptical. Several months back a good friend offered to prove to me gold can be found in those mountains. A trip was planned and the first opportunity of good weather we hiked into the mountains to a place a few miles off the mapped trail system. There we began to dig down at a spot in a tributary canyon until we struck bedrock. We removed about one and a half to three feet of loose rock, sand and dirt. I then cleaned out several deep and wide crevices in the bedrock. The crevice material was then taken over to standing water in the main canyon and panned out. The results of two days of digging and scraping made a believer out of me. A fairly nice showing of placer gold was the result. One small piece of placer still had a tiny bit of quartz still attached to it.

This has proved to me gold is found in the Superstition mountains. If it can be found where I saw it, it must be present elsewhere. I was told this particular site has been known about by a few people for many, many years. A few others have panned gold from this tributary. Trying to find where this placer is coming from is hard because there is no obvious lode deposit or mine on the mountainsides above the site. The canyons have been prospected with many digs and prospect holes found nearby. One very good piece of gold in both quartz and native rock was found above the placer site and I hope to be able to post a photo of it as soon as it is analized.

While this is not the Lost Dutchman mine, it proves gold does occur in those mountains. I was skeptical at one time but now am convinced. Have any others found similar placer, or gold in different form in the Superstitions and do you have a photo you can post ? No need to give a location just a photo and a short description of how the gold was recovered and in what type of terrain, canyon bottom, hillside, inside a mine, etc. Not asking anyone to give away any specific locations or private information.
placer gold Superstition Mountains.jpg
Goldmine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
froggy

Re: Gold in the Superstition Mountains

Post by froggy »

Well I'll be 'Gold" in the Supers
Sgtfda

Post by Sgtfda »

Found about 3 oz from my spot so far. The stone maps do point the way.
Goldmine

Post by Goldmine »

Thats great sgtfda,

without giving away the location would you tell in what type of terrain you made your find ? Creek bottom, hillside, existing mine ? Was there any excavation involved ? If so how deep and what type of rock/soil ? Is it placer or lode gold ? Was it concentrated to one spot or spead out over a larger area ? Do you have any photos ? I was led to my find by someone who had recovered gold there previusly and described how we dug out the gold. How did you get to your spot ? Is there more to be recovered from your site ? I know 100 people who have found gold in the Superstitions, but no one seem to be able to describe any of the above questions to any degree.

Goldmine
Sgtfda

Post by Sgtfda »

I'd post a photo but its a pain on this site. The gold is placer. One spot in a wash and the other ancient river gravel. Found the location using the stone maps. Just following Tumlinson's footprints.
Goldmine

Post by Goldmine »

sgtfda,

There are no ancient rivers or river gravels in the Superstition Mountains. There are canyons and washes that run when the rains come. First Water, LaBarge and Boulder Creeks are actually canyons with water in them only in rainy seasons.

Did you mean in ancient canyon gravel ??? Or do you mean the Salt River itself ??? Or is it some other location other than the Superstition Mountains ???

If you don't want to talk about the geology or the method of extraction, depth or reserves, etc. I understand, I get that a lot.

Goldmine
Sgtfda

Post by Sgtfda »

There is one not on the mountain itself. Just follow Tumlinson's footsteps
Goldmine

Post by Goldmine »

Sgtfda wrote:There is one not on the mountain itself. Just follow Tumlinson's footsteps

I'm sorry but I have no idea what that means, .... "there is one not on the mountain itself." ???

yes I understand the Tumlinson Stone Map reference however I was more interested in the geology and actual means of extraction and what the site looked like physicaly than the usual cryptic follow the map advice.

Goldmine
Sgtfda

Post by Sgtfda »

There is ancient river gravel. Not on the mountain itself.
Goldmine

Post by Goldmine »

OK.

Which river in the Superstitions is that, the Salt ? The Salt not actually in the Superstitions but on the northern edge.

I am unaware of any other river in the Superstitions now or in ancient times.

Reading Sheridan's geography and geology of the Superstitions beginning with 29 million years ago to the present and cant find any reference to a river ever running there. ???

Goldmine.