A New Beginning

Moderator: Jim_b

Joe Ribaudo
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: A New Beginning

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

somehiker wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:13 am Joe:

That entire "Calalus/OZ" fantasy has never been of much interest to me. But it HAS been worth following the constant attempts by Ben and his troop of alter egos to ride the rails of others' research and findings. By saying "The Tomilisons who really cares." though, he seems to have found that train to be parked and going nowhere.

Regards:Wayne
Wayne,

Nicely done turn of a phrase. Brought a smile to my old mug. I found a great many of my own posts in Ben's writings. He paid close attention and I found that bit of flattery amusing. Mention anything that can be factually proven and it will find it's way into Ben's story.

While Tom has assured me he had nothing to do with the Stone Maps, and I believe him, many others have ridden the back side of the main mountain into or out of West Boulder Canyon. That ride is part of the Stone Map Trail. It starts on the south end of Hieroglyphic Canyon goes up the south side of the ridge to the west side of Superstition Peak and goes down a ravine into West Boulder.

That takes you into an area rich in history and lore, including the camp site (Willow Spring) of Adolph Ruth and the man who wrote his, now famous, directions, P.C. Bicknell. Strangely enough, Bick camped at Willow Spring prior to Waltz's death.

By another strange coincidence, it also contains a good deal of Harry LaFrance's trail. Seems like there's a good story in there....somewhere.

Take care,

Joe
Blklion228

Post by Blklion228 »

That entire "Calalus/OZ" fantasy has never been of much interest to me. But it HAS been worth following the constant attempts by Ben and his troop of alter egos to ride the rails of others' research and findings. By saying "The Tomilisons who really cares." though, he seems to have found that train to be parked and going nowhere.

Wayne,

I believe you and I have to talk. If the surnames Turner or Copeland mean anything to you then I think you'll agree.

--- Bill
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Bill Turner and James Copeland ?
Nope
Blklion228

Post by Blklion228 »

"Bill Turner and James Copeland ?"

Cora and William actually. If Lindenhurst, IL means nothing to you then...my bad. You're not who I thought you are.

--- bill
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Doesn't ring any bells for me....so must be someone else you're looking for.
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Joe Ribaudo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:07 am

Wayne,

Nicely done turn of a phrase. Brought a smile to my old mug. I found a great many of my own posts in Ben's writings. He paid close attention and I found that bit of flattery amusing. Mention anything that can be factually proven and it will find it's way into Ben's story.

While Tom has assured me he had nothing to do with the Stone Maps, and I believe him, many others have ridden the back side of the main mountain into or out of West Boulder Canyon. That ride is part of the Stone Map Trail. It starts on the south end of Hieroglyphic Canyon goes up the south side of the ridge to the west side of Superstition Peak and goes down a ravine into West Boulder.

That takes you into an area rich in history and lore, including the camp site (Willow Spring) of Adolph Ruth and the man who wrote his, now famous, directions, P.C. Bicknell. Strangely enough, Bick camped at Willow Spring prior to Waltz's death.

By another strange coincidence, it also contains a good deal of Harry LaFrance's trail. Seems like there's a good story in there....somewhere.

Take care,

Joe
Sounds to me like you still believe Travis Tumlinson's stone "maps" are genuine, so maybe Harry did manage to use them to follow that trail and find his cave. If there's a good story in all of that, perhaps you can get together with one of the authors out there and offer your assistance so that it can be told. Although I had heard whispers around the campfire at one rendezvous that TK was involved in the making of the stones, I didn't see where the timeline allowed for any such tomfoolery on his part.

Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

somehiker wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:05 am
Joe Ribaudo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:07 am

Wayne,

Take care,

Joe
Sounds to me like you still believe Travis Tumlinson's stone "maps" are genuine, so maybe Harry did manage to use them to follow that trail and find his cave. If there's a good story in all of that, perhaps you can get together with one of the authors out there and offer your assistance so that it can be told. Although I had heard whispers around the campfire at one rendezvous that TK was involved in the making of the stones, I didn't see where the timeline allowed for any such tomfoolery on his part.

Good morning Wayne,

It's not that easy explaining how I feel about the Stone Maps. At one time, as everyone knows, I was convinced they were real treasure maps and originated with the Jesuits. Many years of research by myself and, lately, others have convinced me they are modern-day creations using the terrain and legends of the Superstition Mountains to create a convincing story. (Reverse engineering)

Because the Stone Map Trail, as I have described its route, is the exact path that Tom Kollenborn used to ride on a regular basis, I was fairly well convinced that Tom had a hand in creating the maps. To top that off, there is the quoted passage from Shakespeare:

"Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of me! You would play upon me, you would seem to know my stops, you would pluck out the heart of my mystery ..."

That passage from Hamlet, seems to be pointing directly to the Stone Maps. More specifically, it was the favorite passage of Chuck Aylor, and can be found in Tom's book where he describes the Aylors.

As Tom and I became close friends, I asked him directly if he was involved in any way with the creation of the maps. He was flattered, but told me he had nothing to do with them. His word is good enough for me.

There is much more to this story, but I have told it many times before.

Take care,

Joe
babymick1

Post by babymick1 »

Well with every new beginning comes a new beginnings END! Now does the silent echos mean the end of the road
Or the silent before the Storm. Who knows from a very unproductive thread that Ryan seams to start then delete.
If there ever was a man of no Grit, I'd have to vote on this one. A non productive approach to a thread at all turns.

But I must honestly say I miss that bugger and his childish
way of sorting his feelings out.

But oh well, I'm sure this is the end!

Baby 👶 Mick1
nobody

Post by nobody »

I was really hoping to see the maps.
Marius