THE STORY OF THE STONE CROSSES

Moderator: Jim_b

Jim Hatt

Re: THE STORY OF THE STONE CROSSES

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hello funhunter and welcome to the forums.

funhunter wrote:
In the bilbrey articles it states that when he dugged them up one of the crosses were broken. How come pictures don't show any fractures? or was he referring to the corners of the crosses being broken?
I don't remember that from the articles. To save me the time of having to read them all again. Could you give me a quote from where you read that?
funhunter wrote:
Does anyone have better pictures of the crosses? I have not seen any closeups that really are clear. Even the newspaper articles are somewhat blurry.
Everything I have, has already been posted here.
funhunter wrote:
What is the different between the peralta heart stone that has map markings on it and the latin heart? did they come from different sites?
The Latin Heart is the subject of a completely different discussion. I think you will find your answer there.
You will find it at:

http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1459

Don't worry about it. I have seen much worse questions from "Newbies". :lol:
It takes a while to get everything sorted out in you mind at first.

Best,

Jim
somehiker
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by somehiker »

Jim:
The observation that one cross was broken when found may only exist in the tape mentioned by Roger on page 3 of this discussion........

"Here are a few points from Bilbry’s tape:

Mike was originally using the Peralta Stone Maps in trying to locate the LDM. He made his interpretation of where the Peralta Stone Maps were leading and ended up in the Tortilla Ranch and Tortilla Mtn areas. While searching the SW side of Tortilla Mtn, he found several “cross’s” on the face of a cliff face. He dug under one and found a shaft that he cleared to its bottom at 20 feet and found a quartz vein but it was of no value. He dug at another “cross” and found the Stone Crosses in loose gravel. The big/fat one was found first and was lying face down and broken. The other cross was found next to it. Mike then filed his claims starting in the late 1970’s, which surrounded the location where the crosses were found. He noted on Arizona Mining Claim #189723 that there was a “large cross above the mine in a northeast direction”. When that area didn’t yield anything, he began to explore the rest of Tortilla Mtn and claimed to have found a large number of old covered mine shafts elsewhere on Tortilla. Jim Hatt gives a much more in-depth set of information on Bilbry on DUSA than this.

Regards:Wayne
firstcoues2009

Re: Mike Bilbry And The Stone Crosses

Post by firstcoues2009 »

Here’s how to find that location on a 1:2400 Weavers Needle topo: If you follow Peters Trail from Tortilla Ranch trailhead until it goes through the small pass at the SW corner of Tortilla Mtn before it turns to the North, there will be a small knob on the North side of that pass with the elevation marker 3900. Run a line 23 degrees West of North for exactly 1 inch from the center of this knob on the map and you will be approximately at the discovery site from what I can make of the tapes plus the mining claims.

What does "23 degrees west of north" mean?

Are the cross's on the cliff face still visible?

How big are the stone crosses physically?

I'm off to readabout the Latin Heart now.

Thanks
Dave
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hello Dave,

I went through my Bilbrey files and found some stuff that may answer some of your questions.

I made quite a few trips searching for the horizontal cross (with the "DOT" below it) on the cliffs that is shown on the claim form below.

This is the only thing I found on any cliff face within his area, that even remotely looked like what he drew on the claim form. (If you go in there... Maybe you can find something better)

Same photo with cross and circle highlighted.

Topo of layout of Bilbrey's mining claims.

There are some old Tunnels and Shafts in the brushy canyon where the LD6 & LD7 claims are shown, but I never found anything worth getting excited about in any of them.

The Stone Crosses are approx. 12" tall.

Hope this helps...

I'll have to let someone else try to explain the 23 degrees West of North to you. I'm not sure I even know what "Knob" he is talking about.

Best,

Jim
firstcoues2009

Post by firstcoues2009 »

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I may try to get out there this weekend and look around. I've never been to that area.

"23 degrees west of north"? Wasn't sure if he meant west and north?

Thanks again
Dave
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

This is Lost Dutchman days weekend Dave. (Sat & Sun)

You'll never make it through Apache Junction Saturday morning, unless you do it before the sun comes up. :D

You might as well just find a parking place, and settle in to watch the parade. ;)

Best,

Jim
scorpionfan2012

Re: White Marked Stone on Tortilla Mtn

Post by scorpionfan2012 »

Roger wrote:Jim,

Thanks for posting the photo in my previous post on Page 6 of this topic that I was having trouble uploading.

Anyone got any comments on the that stone?

Thanks,

Roger
Hey, what a lot of people are missing on all stone maps is the fact that the deep engravings are not as important as the faint etchings on the stones that when blown up in Paint program you will see all the terrain where the richest mine is, of course, the LDM. I discovered this early on while playing with the pix of the Peralta Stone Tablets. It is all there to see if the "The white man has eyes, but he cannot see." So true. Check it out.