GENERAL DISCUSSION - Anything related to the LDM

Moderator: Jim_b

Mescalero1
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: GENERAL DISCUSSION - Anything related to the LDM

Post by Mescalero1 »

Hello all. First off, thanks for having me DesertUSA! Next, I have had years studying about lost treasures and especially the LDM. The threads here on DesertUSA about the LDM have to be the longest running threads on any forum about any subject, so thanks for keeping it up and current.

I have, over the years, collected a few LDM books but don't give them much credence because with all of these books, the clues are roughly the same and no one really has anything to show for the information in the books. The last one I did purchase was because of a story submitted over 10 years ago here. I can't remember his name offhand but it was one of the first really comprehensive books on the search and included a lot of details and photos. I even got a signed copy because I purchased one of the first ones. His wife was involved with his search. And, he had also mentioned meeting some fellow NA's out there that told him about some items in an underground "mine" that included a gold horse statue. Could the the Sante Fe treasure. Anyway, he concluded he had finally found it but did not mine it. His was the first believable book that I read just because all of his research seemed to add up. I wished I remembered his name.

Anyway, the other day, I read here the story posted by Mister X (who has apparently passed away) and it really mirrored this book I read. So I was kind of thinking that maybe he was reposting his find as Mister X. Ramses, that was it, John Ramses, Quest for Peraltas Gold. So, it seemed interesting that Mister X's story paralleled Ramses' story. But, the comments that were grouped together were more interesting. And as usual, there were people who said they took gold from the mine and blah blah blah.

So, with such a prize as the fabled LDM, knowing you that have claimed finding it, and your ego is so big that you claim bragging rights to your find, where is one picture of one ingot? No, better yet, where is the picture of the inside? How about a chunk of quartz rich in ore? There are those selling chunks of gold peppered quartz on ebay from the "Dutchman" or at least the Superstition area. So, to those of you who have really found this mine, where is one pic that shows you have actually found it. I found a UFO the other day in the backyard. But, my camera couldn't take a picture of it. So, believe me???

The only other believable article (which was here of course) that I have read was the research that Robert Kesselring had done. Good research job, Robert! But, I have a hard time with the stones and the content of the stones. So, I am not sure what to think about that research. But, it is interesting.

I think there are those who have really found a treasure in this and that is all of the many writers who have written on the subject. Even if it is found out there is no LDM mine, there was a treasure to be found.

I just looked for Ramses' book and found his website online. There, they are actually offering a free pdf download of the book. For those of you who have not read it, I would suggest adding it to your collection as it makes interesting reading.

Anyway, thanks again, DesertUSA for having me as a member and for all of the information you offer novice and experienced prospectors.

A side story here: My great-grandfather on my moms side was out with the family at an outing in AZ. It was in southern AZ. He had gone to go relieve himself and while he was doing that, he saw some kind of glittering out of the corner of his eye. He turned and saw a cave entrance glowing. He went inside of this cave and saw stacks of Spanish stamped ingots in the cave. All he could think of was how rich the family was going to be. So, he grabbed a couple of ingots and started to leave the cave when a voice in Spanish told him "Take it all or take none". He was so scared he dropped the bars and ran out. He had made some hastily drawn map at some point and he himself was never able to find that location again. The map was somewhere hidden and it made it down to my grandfather but no one knew what happened to the map and I know none of my family ever found it. My dad spent time looking for that treasure. So, somewhere out there in the southern AZ desert is a treasure larger than maybe the LDM.

Uley Bauer

Post by Uley Bauer »

New member to site with a question! All LDM references never seem to use the author Barney Barnard? He had a lot to say about Jacob Walzer & the general history of the Superstition Mountains, and what went on there in the 1800s! Barney's account appears quite different & therefore puzzling to all the others! For example, Jacob could only find little gold? An Indian woman showed Jacob a place with hi-grade ore? Since the site was contested by the Apache Indians, they had to move a quantity away from the original site, thus creating their own mine?

What a difference in oral history! It's mesmerizing to read through these accounts trying to glean lnformatio let alone facts.
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Uley Bauer wrote:New member to site with a question! All LDM references never seem to use the author Barney Barnard? He had a lot to say about Jacob Walzer & the general history of the Superstition Mountains, and what went on there in the 1800s! Barney's account appears quite different & therefore puzzling to all the others! For example, Jacob could only find little gold? An Indian woman showed Jacob a place with hi-grade ore? Since the site was contested by the Apache Indians, they had to move a quantity away from the original site, thus creating their own mine?

What a difference in oral history! It's mesmerizing to read through these accounts trying to glean lnformatio let alone facts.
Uley,

Welcome to the site.

Most serious Dutch Hunters consider Barnard's work to be, primarily, fiction. You will have to decide for yourself.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
Uley Bauer

Post by Uley Bauer »

Fiction??? For an adventurer/explorer there had to be something in Barney's history to use! Something? Most seekers have little time & less funds to help them along. The Spanish recorded the priest who was also trained in minerals carried an ore sample into the sierra mtns to show the natives! So this tells me the Spanish didn't climb up & down the mtns to find gold mines MOST of the time. The story of the Dutchman having a lady friend seemed not only entertaining but note worthy! Chances are she was the one who took him to a mineral site being native to the area & culture. Beggars can't be choosy when an adventurer is coming up short in so many ways!
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Uley Bauer wrote:Fiction??? For an adventurer/explorer there had to be something in Barney's history to use! Something? Most seekers have little time & less funds to help them along. The Spanish recorded the priest who was also trained in minerals carried an ore sample into the sierra mtns to show the natives! So this tells me the Spanish didn't climb up & down the mtns to find gold mines MOST of the time. The story of the Dutchman having a lady friend seemed not only entertaining but note worthy! Chances are she was the one who took him to a mineral site being native to the area & culture. Beggars can't be choosy when an adventurer is coming up short in so many ways!
Uley,

I have been researching the legends of the Superstition Mountains/Lost Dutchman Mine since I was 13 years old, and have just turned 72. Many others have been at it even longer......but not that many. I still have three copies of Barnard/Higham's book, one a first edition. I don't discount everything he wrote, but most of it is fiction.

Good luck in your own search. You will find the journey very rewarding.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
Johnny Mc

Post by Johnny Mc »

Anyone,

I am trying to find someone who wouldn't mind emailing me a copy of the "Bark Notes" that Mr. Jim Hatt had. I have been looking at them in the library and wanted to see if someone would share theirs or if I need to get busy trying to copy them.

Respectfully submitted,

Johnny
Uley Bauer

Post by Uley Bauer »

Have only a vague idea of your request, i.e. "Bark Notes?" My 19th edition copy has a "Notes by the Author" page. Regards Uley
Crazy Old Man

Post by Crazy Old Man »

Jim: The Lost Dutchman Mine is a story of man's greed; nothing less, nothing more. After many years of researching The Dutchman Mine, I have written a supposition essay about the history of the Lost Dutchman Mine. That is to say I found the proverbial " "NEEDLE IN A HAYSTACK", This leaves the question which needle and where is the needle located? I have read all the clues Jacob Waltz left and they are correct to my understanding of them. The Peralta Massacre is also correct. However, the massacre or massacres of Peralta Party or Peralta Parties appears to the result of another action by Peralta Party not directly related to gold or gold mining I am planning to self-publish a book about the Lost Dutchman Mine in the near future. Nothing stated in the forgoing is truth. I is just supposition! CRAZY OLD MAN
jhowlett

Post by jhowlett »

Hey Wayne Hope all is well Wayne how many times have you gone deep into the Supers alone not many I would think. First off it is very dangerous and pretty much just not too smart. But then you have a core of good friends to go with on the more dangerous places. I would assume if you were going to La Barge canyon you would have support and not have to swim to the middle of Canyon Lake and catch a ride from the Brady Bunch because you have no friends and you are a alone. That kind of says it all. I just had a post deleted that actually was pretty nice, I am done with that clown and I hope we never meet in person. Last time in Supers their were 5 of us,on the upcoming trip there will be 6 or seven of us. I like you have friends( loyal good friends) that have people skills and are not phony's. Anyway last comment on that sad affair. Like I said I know what he looks like and I hope truly we never meet. How has the hiking been this spring, snakes about normal? Take care be careful and good hunting. Jeff.
jhowlett

Post by jhowlett »

Wayne I remember someone was said back in the day that the Dutchman had a portable washer sifter made up for him that he could transport on his jackass, who supposedly said that and could it still be somewhat intake if it was exposed laying on a ledge? Are the conditions dry enough even with some winter downpours that it still could be at least some what intake? Thanks Jeff