GENERAL DISCUSSION - Anything related to the LDM

Moderator: Jim_b

Roger
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Barry Storm's Desert Magazine Article December 1983

Post by Roger »

For those of you wanting to see the actual article, Mountain Treasure, that Barry Storm wrote and was printed in Desert Magazine in December, 1983, the below web site has a scanned version of it. To my knowledge, this site has all of the issues of Desert Magazine on it way back into the 1940's. If you want another issue, use search wording like this --- desert magazine 1983 december.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2404784/19831 ... 3-December

Roger
roward

Re: GENERAL DISCUSSION - Anything related to the LDM

Post by roward »

Thanks, Roger. I guess that would mean they came to a waterfall that was above them and couldn't climb around it. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Fish Creek Canyon contains such a waterfall?
lighthouse

Post by lighthouse »

WATERFALLS.....

It's a great clue, except for reality. The buffs I've talked to, that were in the Superstitions during the rainy seasons, report that waterfalls can be found throughtout the area. All that is needed is a cliffside, canyon rim, or any other setup where there is a abrupt drop in the terrain, and of course a heavy downpour. It's just a matter of being at the right spot, at the right time. That doesn't help much if you're looking for a specific waterfall, but if you suspect a specific area, bundle up, carry a raincoat, rubber boots, etc and sensibly, go in during the winter season. Then wait for the rain to fall.... Lighthouse
djui5

Post by djui5 »

Lighthouse,
Out here in the desert "waterfall" doesn't always mean a place where water is currently flowing over a cliff, etc. It could also refer to a place where water has/will flow down a cliff face/wash/bedrock and create a "waterfall" even if it's only 5' high. Just wanted to clear the air about that.
djui5

Post by djui5 »

BTW in regards to the 2 soldiers "clue" one could almost be certain they were referring to a place in a trail/wash where there was a rock bluff/cliff of some sort that was too large for them to climb up.

Jim,
Did you see the "General" in the thread title is mis-spelled?
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

djui5 wrote: Jim,
Did you see the "General" in the thread title is mis-spelled?
Not until you mentioned it djui.
Look better now?

re: WHAT "IS" A WATERFALL?

Could it be that...
It is one of those things that depend on what your definition of "is" is?
:?
LoneStar

Re: THE HOLMES MANUSCRIPT

Post by LoneStar »

OK so I'm a 'free-rider' - I read but I don't contribute. I still think it would be a crying shame if this forum was resticted to contributors only.
I can also give my reasons for not contributing ... I know some, but I do not have the time to indulge in research - this is the nearest I will get to it, and yes, you may call it 'research' as well. My daughter at one time lived in Cave Creek - and when we were driving 1200 miles to visit - I read everything I could about LDM and also went into the mountains. Sadly I brought her German shepherd with me - and the dog and the 'jumping cacti' did not get on with each other! I always wanted/intended to go back (sans dog!), but then my daughter moved and work and family has taken its toll ...
I still hope to get back one day - maybe when I retire and have some more time to give - until then I shall remind a reader and appreciate every post in here .. and I _do_ appreciate the information you all give. I do not hord it and work for my own ends and my own theories - I have none ... other than my own opinion which is that Jacob's caches were simply remnants from the massacre.

Do I believe that the Peraltas had their mines in the Superstitions? Yes.
Do I believe that the LDM exists? Yes and No - not as JW's mine, but as a Peralta mine that may or may not have been found.
What about the Peralta Stones? I have no idea, really .. just sitting on the fence on that one.
Can I logically defend my views to the above questions? No - it's just a 'hunch' though fuelled by what I have been able to learn through this forum and others.

Again - I thank you for the information you give so freely - it shall not be misused and you can rest assured that _if_ I should stumble upon anything that might be of the slightest value to the members of this forum - it shall be posted.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hello LS,

I wouldn't call you a free-rider. Especially since you've made an effort to participate! There are a lot of members on here from all over the world, that have never had an opportunity to see the Superstition Mountains, and maybe never will. But still enjoy reading about first hand experiences concerning them. Sometimes they watch from afar and see things in the words we write about our experiences, and come up with some startling observations that we ourselves have overlooked. The old "Out of the mouth of Babes" thing, or the "Can't see the forest from the trees" syndrome.

My original intention for this forum was to attract, and cater mainly to people who are active in the field of Prospecting & Treasure Hunting, but I soon learned that even people that have no experience in the field, can make valuable contributions to the discussions, and began to adjust my focus to a broader view, to accommodate them, and make them feel comfortable expressing their opinions.

I strive to keep the Hecklers and Sour Dough promoters participation to a minimum, because of the obvious passions that reside in hearts and souls, of the dedicated searchers, and believers that openly share their thoughts and theories.

I draw my own lines in the sand, (based on my interpretations of the "Terms of Use" that everyone agrees to when they apply for membership in this forum) for what I consider to be acceptable and un-acceptable attitudes here, and I try to let everyone know when they are crossing those lines. Most people accept that and cheerfully comply. Those who find that they cannot, either drift away on their own, or are shown the way out, and the door is closed behind them.

I assure you that you, and everyone else, is welcome to take the Free-Ride, and learn from the mistakes and experiences, of those of us that are fortunate enough, to have the Superstitions right at our doorstep. You will not have to worry about crossing any "lines" from that perspective.

I do appreciate it when new members like yourself, take the time, and make the effort to at least introduce themselves, and make their interests known to everyone.

You may not understand why, but it does make my job a little easier.

Hope you continue to enjoy he subjects being discussed, and spend many quiet afternoons, daydreaming of "Nuggets as Bit as Your Fists"!
(Quoted from the movie Lust For Gold)

Jim
LoneStar

Post by LoneStar »

Jim,
Thank you - that attitude is much appreciated.
Yes I am interested - the big dream (obviously) is to just nonchantantly trek into the mountains and find IT, but I have absolutely no ambitions about actually succeeding. As has been repeated time and time again - the reward is in the chase itself. So I read and I learn - as much as I can and maybe one day I will be able to actually experience it. Whether or not I find anything doesn't really matter ...!

Well, that's not true and I have to negate to what I said in my first post about letting everyone know. Should I be so darn lucky as to 'accidentily' stumbling upon IT - that would be _my_ secret. Should I be able to stumble upon anything else that might or might not be important - you guys will be the first to know.

So thank you for making me feel a little bit better about 'just watching'!
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

My story is pretty much ditto that of Lonestars except that I have never been in the Supers. I did fly over them many years ago in a C-130 flown by an Air National Guard Crew. The co-pilot quickly told me of the LDM and then he laughingly told me to keep my eyes out and when I "see" the mine to let him know and we would share the fortune. :lol:
Shortly after that I looked into the LDM and became fascinated with it and read everything I could find on the LDM including these forums and still have not decided if it is the LDM or the Superstitions themselves that fascinate me more. The forums have always been my favorites as that allows me to see the hunt even though I am too far away to participate. Of course then things such as a war and family triumphs and failures occurred and I slowly drifted away from spending much time on LDM. Just recently I have seemed to come full circle and am again relooking at the legends and am quite rusty. :oops:
Enough about me. I was recently reading an article by Tom Kollenborn and he had mentioned that he was among the contingent that believe that the LDM was actually the Bulldog mine and thus has been mined out. I also vaguely remember a statement from sometime back and although I can't swear to it, I believe it is attributed to you during the back and forth with Mr. X (correct me if I am wrong) that said that if someone claimed they had found the LDM that an assay of the gold would easily prove it as such. That being the case, is there records anywhere of the gold that came out of the Bulldog that would prove it as not being the same as was possessed by Waltz?
Thanx for your insights...

Don