THE "MERCURY MINE"

Moderator: Jim_b

gollum
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: THE "MERCURY MINE"

Post by gollum »

I have Father Ernest J Burrus' book "Kino and Manje: Explorers of Sonora and Arizona". It details every entrada Kino made (including 1697 which is where I got the story), but I am specifically referring to a paper written by Ronald Ives called "Manje's Mercury Mine" that details his search for that mine. I have not been able to access it anywhere.

Best-Mike
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Mike,

You probably already have this info., but the article you want is located in the 1965 Journal of Arizona History, Volume 6, #4 (winter), pp. 165-176.

There are a couple copies of this issue on addall.com - I also wonder if maybe Greg D. has copies of all those journals and if so he'd probably photocopy the article for you.
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

Well Jim this as got me salivating!
Cinnabar! Excites me more than gold!
There is so much here I don’t know where to start!
The Supes have always intrigued me
but I’ve never seen or read anything
that would make me challenge them
Until now!
---which I will temper with my good (but not particularly strong) common sense---

This face you speak of?
Is it in this pic?

Anyway thanks for all the hard work and enlighten
Ed
pattillman40

Post by pattillman40 »

Any updates on this one Jim? I see no ones posted for quite some time so was just wondering if you have been back to this site yet? Very interesting story!
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Sorry Ed,

I never saw your reply to this topic. No... There is no "Face" anywhere this mine that I know of.

Best,

Jim
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Pat,

No, I haven't been back to this area since Clay and I spent the rainy night huddled up under a boulder in the canyon below it.

I'm afraid it is in a place that I will never be able to make it to again in this lifetime. If someone young and strong wanted to go check it out. I would be willing to make him a map directly to it, as long as Clay & I were considered partners in anything he found. ;)

Best,

Jim
pattillman40

Post by pattillman40 »

Jim,

Being only 23yrs old I think I have the young legs your talking about. I would love the opportunity to explore that mine and surrounding area. I also have absolutely no problem sharing with you what I may come across. I mainly want to get out there and take more photos of the mine.
Take care,
Jake R. (Aka pattillman)

P.s. Happy Memorial day to all
babymick1

Post by babymick1 »

A wonderful story and pic,s jim but howed it end, did the young new treasure hunter cut the deal with ya and you passed the passion on to a new generation. Or did ya figure you had one more season in them old bone,s.

Babymick 1
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Mick,

The last chapter of that story has not been written yet. It stands right where I left it odd.

Best,

Jim
babymick1

Post by babymick1 »

Jim Hatt wrote:Mick,

The last chapter of that story has not been written yet. It stands right where I left it odd.

Best,

Jim

We'll Mr. Hatt odd it is then, If you wish I'll help ya write that last chapter the thing you searched the most for, happened to fall in my lap, so the speak. I do about one nice thing a year for no good reason so ya should take my offer no strings attached, We,ll just one string, I babymick1 or Wayne R. Mickelson shall always be know as the one who cracked the stone's

Babymick1