BARRY STORM ARTICLE IN DESERT MAGAZINE - MAY 1945

Moderator: Jim_b

silent hunter
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: BARRY STORM ARTICLE IN DESERT MAGAZINE - MAY 1945

Post by silent hunter »

In my opinion. Barry storm had the idea correct. That was dont let tales mislead you from the truth!! Ask yourself this, if you had first hand information to the mine,but had to find the location, would you leave behind clues that would lead to the discovery of the mine by smarter people?? I would destroy all clue and make a map of were they were so I would no,but nobody else could use the same clues. That is what took place before Barry Storm came into play. Barry was in the right area he just didnt continue on into the wilderness. The story from past searchers caused him to deviate from his intended route.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

East Wind wrote:
I read some were Waltz had a Indian girl friend , I think her name is Ken Tee, who showed the two Jacobs were the mine was. And because she betrayed the Apache Indians they cut her tongue and killed her and Wiser. Dee
Morning Dee,

The story you are referring to came from a "Novel" written by Robert Joseph Allen. He used a few real names in the novel, but the story itself is Fiction. This book is not recommended for researching the truth about the Lost Dutchman Mine.

Jim
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

East Wind wrote:[quote="roward"
Waltz was not a big drinker or carouser and was very subdued and quiet, almost melancholy. That doesn't square with Storm's description at all. But in this article I finally found the source of the "3 red hills" quote. If there is any new information in the story, my question would be how reliable it is given that so much else is a far cry from what we have come to accept as true from Ely and Bark. Storm's article just strikes me as sensationalism. Just my thoughts.
Bob

I agree with Bob, I would hate to think Waltz was a drunken killer. After reading stories about him I'm becoming fond of the man. Plus if he was a Mason he must of had some morals. I thought Wiser was Waltz's nephew, maybe his name sake,. How could he kill a family member. I never read a book about the Lost Dutchman.I have a lot to learn, Ive only read things off the net. There so many different stories how do you know witch one is true. I read some were Waltz had a Indian girl friend , I think her name is Ken Tee, who showed the two Jacobs were the mine was. And because she betrayed the Apache Indians they cut her tongue and killed her and Wiser. It said she died at a neighbors house. ( witch neighbor ?) Where did they find Wiser dead body? Some stories say Waltz left Wiser near the mine,some said he died at a ranch.( witch ranch?) was it the the Quarter Circle U ranch? Dose any one know this story? Back to storms story, He must have made Waltz a scandal to make his story interesting. That's just my opinion. Talking bout the red hills, I look a the Superstitions, they are all red! maybe some white spots ........inquiring Dee[/quote]

Whoaaaaaa there Dee... slow down a little :) You're asking ALOT of questions at one time - none of which are all that simple to answer.

I'll help with a few of the easier ones, but I'm at work and can't reference the sources easily.

I've heard claims that Waltz was a Mason of some sort, but never seen any proof of it - perhaps someone here knows more about that.

One of the stories has Weisner (many dif. spellings) being Waltz's nephew, but I don't think that belief is widely held. As a matter of fact, I don't believe it's ever been proven beyond a doubt that Weisner ever existed. There's also been stories of Waltz killing his nephew who had come out to help him because his nephew wanted him to file a claim on the mine. I believe the story has Waltz killing him and dragging him to a grave with a chain - if I'm not mistaken, a skeleton with a chain around it's neck was located many years ago but beyond that I again don't think it's ever been proven that Waltz even had a nephew for sure.

The story that places Weisner dying at a ranch has him escaping the grasp of indians while Waltz was away getting supplies for a few days. The ranch he came across and supposedly died at was John Walker's ranch along the Gila River leaving behind a map - not the QCU. Again, no real evidence that this occurred.

The one thing you are absolutely correct about is this...
There so many different stories how do you know witch one is true.
The answer is in most cases... you don't :)
East Wind

Post by East Wind »

Thanks Jim and Cubfan,

Gila is way South isnt it? So if Wiser was real and found at that ranch,that means Walts must have spent some time in Florance like Storms story said...... Thanks Dee
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

Allright! Got this problem fixxed Paul
I been trying to post in it for sometime
Now I need to gather up my notes on Storm
I had a source, for whom Storm might have referenced,
for info that wasn't mentioned in these postings....
roc